Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Put pressure on Southern and the Government to do something .

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Many of us had a terrible experience on Friday . Southern were unable to provide a service suitable for needs . Lets be clear there was NO strike on Friday . They are simply unable to provide a service that suits the local community . They also stopped all trains for the Lewes bonfire as well - one of the counties biggest annual events..

We cannot have these people controlling our lives and prosperity . Brighton and surrounding towns are clearly starting to suffer the financial effects of this dispute and this appallingly run company .

Whatever your view on the strikes we need government to understand whats going on. Let them really understand our pain. Perhaps we could invite Paul Maynard ( Rail Minister ) down for a pint in one of the local pubs around Brighton Station on December the 9th and then he can make his way to the stadium and see for himself ( bet the trains would run well that night! )

Feel free to write,tweet to Paul with your recent Friday night experience at ;

http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/paul-maynard/3926

Also this is the campaign details to remove the franchise if you want to get involved .

http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/franchises/south-central/

Incidentally I have no political involvement in this . I am a commuter and a Brighton fan and I've had enough .

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The government know exactly what is going on.
They are pulling the strings.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Many of us had a terrible experience on Friday . Southern were unable to provide a service suitable for needs . Lets be clear there was NO strike on Friday . They are simply unable to provide a service that suits the local community . They also stopped all trains for the Lewes bonfire as well - one of the counties biggest annual events..

We cannot have these people controlling our lives and prosperity . Brighton and surrounding towns are clearly starting to suffer the financial effects of this dispute and this appallingly run company .

Whatever your view on the strikes we need government to understand whats going on. Let them really understand our pain. Perhaps we could invite Paul Maynard ( Rail Minister ) down for a pint in one of the local pubs around Brighton Station on December the 9th and then he can make his way to the stadium and see for himself ( bet the trains would run well that night! )

Also this is the campaign details to remove the franchise if you want to get involved .

Incidentally I have no political involvement in this . I am a commuter and a Brighton fan and I've had enough .

I signed petition months ago, is this a new one?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
By all means involve him too !! But the Rail Minister is more directly responsible and Chris Grayling has done nothing for some time now

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
They're aware. They're fully aware. As Caroline Lucas noted in the Argus "MPs have chased ministers down corridors, set up an All Party Parliamentary Group, put down parliamentary questions and written countless letters to those responsible for this mess.". So they know exactly what's going on. They just don't care. I don't think any amount of pressure is likely to change that. There's been plenty of protests in London and that's done nothing.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There is a legal challenge in the form of a judicial review being put together to hold the government accountable to its own rules.

Some of the lead up to the JR requires the DfT to answer some Freedom of Information requests by a given date. Naturally, they've missed that deadline - three times now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There is a legal challenge in the form of a judicial review being put together to hold the government accountable to its own rules.

Some of the lead up to the JR requires the DfT to answer some Freedom of Information requests by a given date. Naturally, they've missed that deadline - three times now.

perhaps they're waiting for the Aslef ballot result?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Signed the 38 degrees 17k sigs and counting

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This would seem the case seeing as they paid GTR billions to run the franchise in the first place .

Exactly. As mentioned in the other thread, threats of court cases/consumer boycotts etc will have no effect as GTR get paid regardless - they could run no trains at all on match day if they chose not to and we or the club couldn't do a thing about it.

And the government knows that it can pretty much do what they want no matter how many thousands of people are affected as they're well aware that come 2020 those thousands of people will troop to the ballot boxes to vote for Sussex Tory MPs.

Where's the pressure for them to change, there's no commercial pressure, there's no political pressure. That's why all this talk is just meaningless, it's good to blow off some hot air but that's all it amounts to

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Exactly. As mentioned in the other thread, threats of court cases/consumer boycotts etc will have no effect as GTR get paid regardless - they could run no trains at all on match day if they chose not to and we or the club couldn't do a thing about it.

And the government knows that it can pretty much do what they want no matter how many thousands of people are affected as they're well aware that come 2020 those thousands of people will troop to the ballot boxes to vote for Sussex Tory MPs.

Where's the pressure for them to change, there's no commercial pressure, there's no political pressure. That's why all this talk is just meaningless, it's good to blow off some hot air but that's all it amounts to

This exactly. Judicial Review challenge is in motion but government has missed deadline three time. You get what you vote and Sussex is Tory heartland !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The government know exactly what is going on.
They are pulling the strings.

Sadly the right answer, just wait for the Aslef strike when there will be no trains at all

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Mate some of us who work in London have suffered for years having to really on Southern. Friday nights shambles will make no difference.

We are stuck with them and their incompetence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here