Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are National ID cards back on the agenda?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Frontpage news stories today of needing to take your passport to hospital if you want to receive treatment.
While the requirement would enable more money to be obtained from overseas visitors, this is not something that we are used to doing in our free society.
Indeed when there was the voluntary ID scheme some years ago it never really took off and was quickly abandoned after a backlash against the idea.
So would you be prepared to accept this proposal and indeed extend it to require picture ID to be carried at all times.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Frontpage news stories today of needing to take your passport to hospital if you want to receive treatment.
While the requirement would enable more money to be obtained from overseas visitors, this is not something that we are used to doing in our free society.
Indeed when there was the voluntary ID scheme some years ago it never really took off and was quickly abandoned after a backlash against the idea.
So would you be prepared to accept this proposal and indeed extend it to require picture ID to be carried at all times.
Not sure how that would work as plenty of Brits don't have a passport. Personally wouldn't really bother me, NHS and public spending generally under huge pressure. Why allow foreigners to dodge payment. If you or I get I'll abroad we pay for it if we haven't insurance. Should be no different here, bar EU Nationals from countries with reciprocal arrangements. Something else to be negotiated during Brexit I guess.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am one of those who don't have a passport. I'd be happy if the government wished to buy me one though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
ID cards were the biggest waste of money Labour ever tried to force on us. So it's a no from me for many reasons.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its unpopular because its "un-British", however we already have a national identity - NI number. rather than build some new database and system at great expense (around 10bn was the quote for old ID scheme), we could add a photo to NI cards at a fraction the cost. no address though, and there is the first problem of an ID card, what is the scope and purpose of such a thing? many scenarios you'd still have to provide some second form of ID for your current address.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Not bothered about the showing cards to get treatment idea particularly - would rather people get the treatment they need, particularly in an emergency - and ask questions afterwards.

But I don't have and have never had any problem with the question of ID cards.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
ID cards always made sense to me can not see any reasons against the idea

Yeah me either. In other countries you get an ID card when you renew your passport or driving licence at very little extra cost. Most of the public would have them that way. The rest could be done when national insurance cards are issued. The ID card could replace other forms of ID, such as the driving licence, so as to bring down cost. With Brexit, I can see a renewed enthusiasm for getting a UK citizen ID card.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The ID would only be needed for emergency treatment as the vast majority of hospital appointments are referrals from your GP.

Edit to add I carry a card with my NI number in any case, so would be sufficient ID.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What about colour coded triangles and stars? Seems to be the popular way forward in the current climate.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
A 'prove who you are' system works extremely well here in Spain without problems if you are entitled to use their system. Everybody who is officially in the system has a 'Tarjeta Sanitaria' card with their details [tax number] on it. The card has a 'chip' on it so where ever you in Spain any doctor, hospital, chemist can check your well being, prescriptions, treatments, past hospital operations. The only downside of the system is for those who 'fly under the radar' - the illegals whether they be Brits or anyone else as the cards do not carry a photo I.D. Sadly now because the system was being abused by illegals at hospitals they also for ask for photo I.D [passport - driving licence]. Any 'giri' in the country not eligible [ -not working and paying 'autonomo', generally free loading] may pay 60 euros a month [by D.D] and become fully enrolled in the system]. Do none of that then you or your relative will be asked to produce travel insurance and/or a credit card. Can anyone seriously argue against this system? Why should hard working, tax paying individuals subsidise the free loaders?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The ID would only be needed for emergency treatment as the vast majority of hospital appointments are referrals from your GP.

the suggestion is ID for elective treatment. but you raise an intersting point, how do you get to that point without a referal?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
A 'prove who you are' system works extremely well here in Spain

Works very well in Sweden too.

Your person number is tied to almost everything you do. Once you've got one and the electronic identification app 'bank id' you can do anything.

You just give your person number and show id (or open the app and use touch id) and you get access to whatever you need to. You can open a bank account, start a phone contract, go to the doctors, get a prescription. Anything at all without all of this ancient "bring a utility bill" bollocks.

It does take some time to adjust to the idea that everything in your life is tied to you directly. I can understand the initial skepticism to the idea of id cards all round. But the benefits really do outweigh the negatives IMO.

Yoda

English & European
its unpopular because its "un-British", however we already have a national identity - NI number. rather than build some new database and system at great expense (around 10bn was the quote for old ID scheme), we could add a photo to NI cards at a fraction the cost. no address though, and there is the first problem of an ID card, what is the scope and purpose of such a thing? many scenarios you'd still have to provide some second form of ID for your current address.

Following on from this, How about the NHS have a link into the NI Database. When claiming benefits (IS/IB/JSA/ESA) it's all done through your NI number.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here