Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with a photo

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This picture was taken from top of Bear Road and in the centre shows the IOW (sorry if I am stating the obvious). However hat I cannot work out what/where the white cliffs are in the smaller landmass as I thought everything down to Portsmouth was flat. Any thoughts?

IOW.jpg

el punal

Nice photo, but isn't it a bit of an illusion? The Isle of Wight is over forty miles away and it certainly wouldn't be as clear as that. I would suggest that that is low cloud on the horizon.

If I'm wrong, the piece of land on the right would be Selsey, with the Solent in between to the I.O.W.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There are cliffs above Portsmouth - to the north. Though whether that's what you're looking at in the image is another issue.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I saw this when it was clear a few weeks ago. It's the chalk Cliffs behind Portsmouth that have the Naval Station on top.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Nice photo, but isn't it a bit of an illusion? The Isle of Wight is over forty miles away and it certainly wouldn't be as clear as that. I would suggest that that is low cloud on the horizon.

If I'm wrong, the piece of land on the right would be Selsey, with the Solent in between to the I.O.W.

You might be right but it's always been said that you can see the IOW from top of Bear Road on a clear day. Remember it myself as a kid.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Definitely not the IOW I'm afraid.
It can indeed be seen from Brighton, but not as the picture suggests

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I tend to agree, the land mass, (if indeed that is what it is), lloks an awful lot less then forty miles distant. But then, in the right conditions, who knows?

It really is terribly difficult to judge from a photo.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Not sure about that. Selsey is very flat. No cliffs there.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That can't be the IOW shirley?

I can't imagine you can see it quite so large or clearly from that far away.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I spent the best part of 20 years living in the house deemed to be the 6th highest point of Portslade, and saw the Isle of Wight several times on a good clear day, so I know what it looks like. It doesn't look like this I'm afraid.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
There are cliffs above Portsmouth - to the north. Though whether that's what you're looking at in the image is another issue.

I think that's likely. Portsmouth is very close to the IOW, so those cliffs (behind Portsmouth) seem about the right distance away. The dark finger of land in front of that is probably Selsey Bill. Nice picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here