Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa v Brighton...... Boro v Brighton all over again

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
.... its going to bloody be isn't it?

Last game, away in a huge stadium with winner takes all, no nails left, heart palpitations galore and more excitement than that stupid dog on the John Lewis advert.

Lets hope the outcome is more favourable this time....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We HAVE to do everything we can to hold Villa at arm's (i.e. 4+ points) length this season.

The dream would be we'll already be up at that point, and we can all have some fun chants for Calderwood.

Stumpy Tim

Have to say, all this talk about Villa being a threat is getting silly, with John Gregory being the latest to get on the bandwagon. They have a huge amount of points to get back, and to get into the top two they'll likely have to win 75% of their games - not going to happen. Yes they're playing well right now, but they'll have a blip like all teams do. It seems that because they've had a couple of good results they're suddenly title contenders. It's a nonsense

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
They won't make 13+ point difference Shirley?

I think we've had our "blip" with Newcastle/Brentford and no doubt we'll have one or two more losses. If we achieve around 90 points that means Villa will need 91 - 69 from their remaining 29 games - can't see it myself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have to say, all this talk about Villa being a threat is getting silly, with John Gregory being the latest to get on the bandwagon. They have a huge amount of points to get back, and to get into the top two they'll likely have to win 75% of their games - not going to happen. Yes they're playing well right now, but they'll have a blip like all teams do. It seems that because they've had a couple of good results they're suddenly title contenders. It's a nonsense

I posted this on another thread earlier today. I recorded the match to see what the pundits had to say, fast fowarding over most of the match.

Before the game, Peter Beagrie was looking at why Villa were in 16th place. A lot of their games were drawn, where Villa had gone ahead, but ended up getting just one point.

What changed on Friday night?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I've posted elsewhere, we made up 11 points, a game in hand and about 20 goals on Middlesbrough over only 19 games last season.

It's a big ask for Villa, of course, but it's far from impossible.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Villa have had some good results since Bruce took over, but is that just the honeymoon period? There are other teams in good form that are much closer to us, and should be considered more of a threat right now. I'll worry about Villa if the gap starts to close. If we continue to achieve a 2pt per game average, there's very little that chance that Villa will close that gap.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did we lose 3-0 at home to Villa? Cannot be the same can it, as that was the result that screwed us over in the long term.? :smile:

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Villa were the best side we ve seen or possibly played . Theyll be in the top 6 by Christmas / New Year - we just have to make sure we're 13 points clear of them still . On Fridays showing that might be difficult - we were lucky to get a point , we were lucky to get three points v Wolves and we were stupid to lose 2 points v Preston .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Villa were the best side we ve seen or possibly played . Theyll be in the top 6 by Christmas / New Year - we just have to make sure we're 13 points clear of them still . On Fridays showing that might be difficult - we were lucky to get a point , we were lucky to get three points v Wolves and we were stupid to lose 2 points v Preston .

Maybe at the Amex but I thought Newcastle were better when we played them.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If we drop enough points for Villa to overhaul us, then chances are the likes of Reading and Norwich will too, and we'll finish well outside the top two anyway.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Since Bruce took over at Villa,they've won three , drawn three.They have beaten Reading and Fulham. We on the other hand, have won four, drawn two, beating Brizzle and Norwich.
We have the better stats,and,until Friday night have been playing better.

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Since Bruce took over at Villa,they've won three , drawn three.They have beaten Reading and Fulham. We on the other hand, have won four, drawn two, beating Brentford and Norwich.
We have the better stats,and,until Friday night have been playing better.

I must have missed that.

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
In fairness Villa are the best team we have seen this season and I fully expect them to be there or there abouts... Hopefully they will rue the early season form and we can just stay ahead of them! I believe Villa and Derby are the biggest threat to second place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here