Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A glass of champagne or a glass of Sussex? 'Sussex' is given special protection.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sussex enjoys its champagne moment

Andrew Ellson, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

First it was prosecco, then it was frost. Now Sussex is the latest foe to strike fear into the heart of the champagne country.

Sparkling wine from the county has been granted protected regional status, bringing it in line with the elite winemaking regions of Europe.

The award by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) means only producers based in Sussex and meeting a demanding set of quality standards will be able to use the name of the county on their labels.

Approval by Defra means that recognition by the EU’s geographical indication scheme is now a formality and should be completed within six months, putting Sussex on a par with La Rioja in Spain and Champagne in France.

Mark Driver, of the Rathfinny Wine Estate on East Sussex’s Lullington Heath nature reserve, said: “We believe this will help Sussex become synonymous with high quality sparkling wine. So when you go into a bar in London or Tokyo you will be asked: ‘Would you like a glass of champagne or a delicious glass of Sussex?’”

While comparisons between the Champagne region and Sussex might seem far-fetched, the rolling hills of the South Downs have many similarities to the famous area of northeast France. Both have the same chalky soil that experts say is perfect for producing the best wine and both enjoy similar climates, with comparable temperatures, rainfall and hours of sunshine.

Sussex wines had already been gaining international acclaim. Earlier this year sparkling wine producers from the county won nine gold medals at the prestigious International Wine & Spirit Competition awards.

The new status will limit the grape varieties that can be used to make Sussex wines and will insist upon hand harvesting and lower yields in vineyards, ensuring that only the best grapes are used. The stricter winemaking rules will also include a qualitative assessment and longer bottle ageing for sparkling wine.

Earlier this year Jane MacQuitty, chief wine critic of The Times, described Nyetimber’s 2010 bottle grown on the Tillington vineyard in West Sussex as a “gorgeous, intense, mouthwatering, toasted brioche and red berry scented fizz ... every bit as good as a French prestige champagne”.

Experts said that the award of protected regional status was a huge fillip to England’s burgeoning wine industry, which has experienced booming sales in recent years. Research by Defra found that protected status helps grow sales and boosts tourism to the region. Demand for English fizz is already bubbling up nicely with sales increasing 300 per cent at Marks & Spencer and almost 200 per cent at Waitrose last year. One in every 50 bottles of bubbly bought in the UK is now grown on English vineyards.

The growing status and success of Sussex sparkling wine is a further blow to the embattled vineyard owners of Champagne.

Last year their sales fell flat in the UK and were overtaken by their Italian rival, prosecco, for the first time. To add to Champagne’s woes, this year’s crop was decimated by spring frosts with some vineyards losing 70 per cent of their harvest.

Miles Beale, chief executive of the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, said: “Protected status not only recognises the particular growing conditions found in Sussex but it also shows the commitment of winemakers in this region to produce high quality wines under strict production criteria.

“The status will enhance English wine’s established reputation as a high quality product to rival the best and boost its vast export potential.”

FAMOUS NAMES WITH SPECIAL PROTECTION

Melton Mowbray pork pies Must be made with a traditional recipe, including a minimum pork content and in the vicinity of the Leicestershire town.
Cornish clotted cream Limited to products made from milk produced in Cornwall that contain a minimum 55 per cent of butterfat.
Cornish pasty A traditional recipe must be used that is at least 12.5 per cent beef and 25 per cent vegetable, although the product does not have to be baked in the county.
Jersey royals Potatoes must be grown, prepared and processed on Jersey using traditional methods.
Scotch Only applies to unsweetened and unflavoured whisky produced in Scotland with a minimum of 40 per cent alcohol.
Stilton Only cheese produced, processed and prepared in Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, using traditional methods, can be described as such.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/sussex-enjoys-its-champagne-moment-n03qzcnvv

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not too sure why a sparkling wine produced elsewhere would be called Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"First it was Prosecco"?

Do people really drink this as a champagne substitute?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes they do. Champagne sales have been hit hard as people have made the switch, despite the fact that most supermarket stuff is absolutely dire.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. I love the dryness of champagne so Prosecco isn't a suitable alternative imho.

I have had some excellent beers brewed with champagne yeast as well.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm guessing two of the largest English vineyards - Denbies (Surrey) and Chapel Down (Kent) won't be too pleased. I gather Nyetimber will also be excluded as some of their grapes come from just over the border in Hampshire - and they fought against this as a result. So they probably weren't the best example to use for the article.

"First it was Prosecco"?

Do people really drink this as a champagne substitute?

Yes, absolutely they do. We had Bolney Bubbly at our wedding. Not sure about Prosecco, though, which is very different and produced like other fizzy drinks. Whereas Sussex, Cava and Champagne all use methode champenoise.

Yes they do. Champagne sales have been hit hard as people have made the switch, despite the fact that most supermarket stuff is absolutely dire.

Disagree with this too - prosecco tends to be more consistent as a result of the reliable climate and simpler production methods - though it does tend to be a little less dry as HT points out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, absolutely they do. We had Bolney Bubbly at our wedding. Not sure about Prosecco, though, which is very different and produced like other fizzy drinks. Whereas Sussex, Cava and Champagne all use methode champenoise.

I'm a big fan and supporter of English sparkling wine. And I will happily substitute this for champagne. Prosecco is too sweet for my palete though.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I'm guessing two of the largest English vineyards - Denbies (Surrey) and Chapel Down (Kent) won't be too pleased. .

Why would a Surrey vineyard or a Kent vineyard want to call their product Sussex wine ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why would a Surrey vineyard or a Kent vineyard want to call their product Sussex wine ?

They wouldn't, the point is that wines from Sussex will have AOC protection and be promoted as such, whereas they won't. It's particularly bad for Nyetimber, who may not even be able to put Sussex on their labels any more.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/sussex-enjoys-its-champagne-moment-n03qzcnvv

Controversially, The Times initially said this vineyard was in West Sussex. They obviously read the NSC thread on East vs West Sussex yesterday and are trying to stir things up. B*stards.

Now corrected.

They've also got the bit about Lullington Heath wrong. The Rathfinny estate is located between Alfriston and Seaford on the western side of the Cuckmere. Lullington Heath is on the eastern side.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
English sparkling wines always seem to me to come with a hefty price tag that must limit the market somewhat. Wouldn't happen in Italy, Spain, Australia....

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
They wouldn't, the point is that wines from Sussex will have AOC protection and be promoted as such, whereas they won't. It's particularly bad for Nyetimber, who may not even be able to put Sussex on their labels any more.

You'll have to educate me (and possibly others, I'm sure I'm not the only one) what does this protection offer that is good for Sussex and that others not in Sussex would be unhappy about/jealous of ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Controversially, The Times initially said this vineyard was in West Sussex. They obviously read the NSC thread on East vs West Sussex yesterday and are trying to stir things up. B*stards.

Now corrected.

Ridgeview are guilty of this, based just north of Ditchling and clearly in the east side, they put West Sussex in some write ups, or diplomatically go for the "Sussex" option.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You'll have to educate me (and possibly others, I'm sure I'm not the only one) what does this protection offer that is good for Sussex and that others not in Sussex would be unhappy about/jealous of ?

There are various papers on this, but in essence it's a marketing tool! Champagne is a brand, and people buy wines purely because they're called "Champagne", even though there are excellent sparkling wines from other regions of France (Loire, Alsace, Burgundy, etc.). The same applies for Bordeaux, and indeed Cornish pasties. The trouble a lot of the English vineyards have had, as they're relatively small, is that they can't say what they're marketing, other than "wine". Now they will be able to market together as "Sussex"...

It's also supposed to be an indicator of quality as they have to meet certain standards. Obviously there will be good wines from other parts of England, but there will be crap ones too. However, this doesn't always work.

I'm no expert though!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I love the dryness of champagne so Prosecco isn't a suitable alternative imho.

Have you tried a decent Franciacorta? Unlike Prosecco, it's methode champenoise, and generally comes out at around 6g/l residual sugar, which puts it right on the boundary between Extra Brut (0-6g/l) and Brut (0-12g/l) in Champagne terms.

As an aside, "Brut champagne has an extremely wide range of allowable sugar levels (zero to 12 g/l !). Not a lot of people know that". Michael Caine.*

*He may have said this. Who knows?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here