Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Trollope, new Albion assistant manager

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Not surprised has worked with CH at both Birmingham and Norwich so should be a relatively seamless fit. Would have loved Calde but happy with this.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Argus comments: Don't know that Trollope will bring much to the table, bit of a backward step. Let's not mess about and get Harry Redknapp down here now, he'd love it here and is unemployed. Assistant manager would suit him at his time of life, theres no one better out there.

:eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Argus comments: Don't know that Trollope will bring much to the table, bit of a backward step. Let's not mess about and get Harry Redknapp down here now, he'd love it here and is unemployed. Assistant manager would suit him at his time of life, theres no one better out there.

FFS...................

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:facepalm:

Show me the money

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Was it [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION]

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Interesting article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...ws/aston-villa-lowdown-paul-trollope-12182363

Paul Trollope is one of the names under consideration for the assistant manager role at Aston Villa.

Technical director Steve Round has been holding interviews with candidates in the hope of finding a No.2 to work closely with boss Steve Bruce for the long-term future.

Reports in the Telegraph today say that Trollope has held talks and that the club are still checking out other options.

So what do we know about Trollope?

RECENT WORK

The 44-year-old recently endured a difficult time at Cardiff City. After taking over as manager at the Bluebirds this summer, following a promotion from head coach, Cardiff could only manage two wins in the opening 12 games and he was subsequently sacked at the start of October. When Trollope was working under manager Russell Slade, he undertook large amounts of Cardiff’s training and also helped shift a playing style towards a more attack-minded outlook.

“I am ambitious, of course, but everybody in football should be ambitious,” he said when he first joined the club.

ATTRIBUTES

Trollope is seen as a bright, young coach who likes to promote attractive football but also recognises the need to work hard. He picked up a lot of information from former Fulham boss Jean Tigana when he was a player at Craven Cottage. “I have to say that spell with Tigana when we won promotion had a big influence on me as a coach and my philosophies, I’ve always liked progressive, passing football,” he said.

The ex-Wales international also worked with Chris Hughton at both Birmingham City and Norwich.

“I certainly realised we shared a similar footballing philosophy, not only how you want a team to play but also in terms of the discipline and the professionalism of it,” he said of Hughton.

Trollope has spent time studying the game both in England and on the continent. He’s recognised as an innovative coach who understands the demands and details of the modern game.

PLAYING CAREER

As a player, Trollope started at Swindown but soon moved to lower division Torquay at the age of 19 in order to gain game time. He caught the eye of top-flight Derby County and enjoyed Premier League football before stepping back down the leagues after a handful of loan switches, signing for ambitious Fulham and playing a key role in their rise up the divisions to the top-flight.

Failing to win a regular place with the Cottagers in their new surroundings, Trollope headed to Coventry and Northampton before signing for Bristol Rovers in 2004.

MANAGEMENT

Trollope was in his second season at the Bristol Rovers, still only 33, when the door opened into management. After the sacking of Ian Atkins (now Villa’s chief scout). Rovers turned to Trollope to provide a helping hand with the coaching as they sought a new manager.

Working alongside Lenny Lawrence, the duo steadied the ship and engineered a mid-table finish in their first full season, Lawrence and Trollope went on to lead Rovers to a Football League Trophy appearance at Wembley in 2007 and they returned two months later to land promotion to League One via the play-offs.

The following year, with Rickie Lambert in attack, Trollope saw his side reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup having beaten Roy Hodgson’s Fulham on the road to the club’s first appearance in the last-eight for 50 years. In 2010, after five years at the help, Trollope was sacked. He would later link up with Hughton at both Blues and Norwich.

He shunned the chance to move to Brighton with his ally and instead moved to Cardiff for a new challenge.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Are you sure that's The Argus, looks more like a comment from "Mad Magazine"?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not surprised has worked with CH at both Birmingham and Norwich so should be a relatively seamless fit. Would have loved Calde but happy with this.

Seamless is the key word there I think.

Nice work by the club if this move happens. I'm sure nobody wanted to lose Calderwood, but as we have, this would appear to be the perfect replacement to keep a steady ship on track without any wobbles.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
that is a veritable cocktail of metaphor...!

Why thank you kind Sir. One does rather pride one's self on mixing one's metaphors. Especially so around this time of day. :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Interesting article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...ws/aston-villa-lowdown-paul-trollope-12182363

Paul Trollope is one of the names under consideration for the assistant manager role at Aston Villa.

Technical director Steve Round has been holding interviews with candidates in the hope of finding a No.2 to work closely with boss Steve Bruce for the long-term future.

Reports in the Telegraph today say that Trollope has held talks and that the club are still checking out other options.

So what do we know about Trollope?

RECENT WORK

The 44-year-old recently endured a difficult time at Cardiff City. After taking over as manager at the Bluebirds this summer, following a promotion from head coach, Cardiff could only manage two wins in the opening 12 games and he was subsequently sacked at the start of October. When Trollope was working under manager Russell Slade, he undertook large amounts of Cardiff’s training and also helped shift a playing style towards a more attack-minded outlook.

“I am ambitious, of course, but everybody in football should be ambitious,” he said when he first joined the club.

ATTRIBUTES

Trollope is seen as a bright, young coach who likes to promote attractive football but also recognises the need to work hard. He picked up a lot of information from former Fulham boss Jean Tigana when he was a player at Craven Cottage. “I have to say that spell with Tigana when we won promotion had a big influence on me as a coach and my philosophies, I’ve always liked progressive, passing football,” he said.

The ex-Wales international also worked with Chris Hughton at both Birmingham City and Norwich.

“I certainly realised we shared a similar footballing philosophy, not only how you want a team to play but also in terms of the discipline and the professionalism of it,” he said of Hughton.

Trollope has spent time studying the game both in England and on the continent. He’s recognised as an innovative coach who understands the demands and details of the modern game.

PLAYING CAREER

As a player, Trollope started at Swindown but soon moved to lower division Torquay at the age of 19 in order to gain game time. He caught the eye of top-flight Derby County and enjoyed Premier League football before stepping back down the leagues after a handful of loan switches, signing for ambitious Fulham and playing a key role in their rise up the divisions to the top-flight.

Failing to win a regular place with the Cottagers in their new surroundings, Trollope headed to Coventry and Northampton before signing for Bristol Rovers in 2004.

MANAGEMENT

Trollope was in his second season at the Bristol Rovers, still only 33, when the door opened into management. After the sacking of Ian Atkins (now Villa’s chief scout). Rovers turned to Trollope to provide a helping hand with the coaching as they sought a new manager.

Working alongside Lenny Lawrence, the duo steadied the ship and engineered a mid-table finish in their first full season, Lawrence and Trollope went on to lead Rovers to a Football League Trophy appearance at Wembley in 2007 and they returned two months later to land promotion to League One via the play-offs.

The following year, with Rickie Lambert in attack, Trollope saw his side reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup having beaten Roy Hodgson’s Fulham on the road to the club’s first appearance in the last-eight for 50 years. In 2010, after five years at the help, Trollope was sacked. He would later link up with Hughton at both Blues and Norwich.

He shunned the chance to move to Brighton with his ally and instead moved to Cardiff for a new challenge.
It could be that Calderwood was Hughton's second choice anyway, and whilst things were going well, it's possible that we'll get the bloke who we wanted in the first instance.

The timing was poor but this could quite possibly be a positive thing to have happened.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It could be that Calderwood was Hughton's second choice anyway, and whilst things were going well, it's possible that we'll get the bloke who we wanted in the first instance.

The timing was poor but this could quite possibly be a positive thing to have happened.

If Calderwood doesn't think twice to leave Hughton mid-season after working alongside him for best part of a decade he won't think twice to recommend the cream of Albion's players to Bruce.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If Calderwood doesn't think twice to leave Hughton mid-season after working alongside him for best part of a decade he won't think twice to recommend the cream of Albion's players to Bruce.
Oh absolutely, but unless there are some hidden gems further down the production line, they are pretty much all there to see anyway.

Perhaps we'll be in for the cream of Welsh talent now.

:wink:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Paging [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The general consensus is that Calderwood was responsible for the solid defensive play we have right now. According to the article above, Trollope was the proponent of attacking, progressive football at Cardiff.

Its probably not that simple, but if CH likes his assistant to focus on one part of the game, be it defence or attack, this would be quite a sea-change.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The general consensus is that Calderwood was responsible for the solid defensive play we have right now. According to the article above, Trollope was the proponent of attacking, progressive football at Cardiff.

Its probably not that simple, but if CH likes his assistant to focus on one part of the game, be it defence or attack, this would be quite a sea-change.

Chris Hughton was a defender, and the first thing he did when taking over was to tighten up our defence. In fact, one of the criticisms aimed at him in the first few months was that he was overly defensive.

If the assistant is going to be more attack minded, that will be beneficial imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here