Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate - The only candidate being interviewed. Stroll on!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Have to be honest, and I REALLY hope i'm wrong, but I DO NOT think GS is the man for the job, far from it in fact.....but time will tell I guess....

I don't know,the job remit merely entails an exit at the group stages.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have to be honest, and I REALLY hope i'm wrong, but I DO NOT think GS is the man for the job, far from it in fact.....but time will tell I guess....

I feel the same. However, the performance vs Spain was very encouraging so hoping I may be proved wrong on some level. Thing is, what constitutes success these days? Last few tournos we've not made the 1/4 finals - would a 1/4 be deemed a successful WC campaign I wonder? Difficult to say. I'd say a 1/4 is upper average for England. Anything else is failure. Anything beyond is great sucess. Just my opinion like - as I always say, only one team can win the WC or Euros every 2 years/4 years depending on how you take that sentance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's not even the biggest/best job in the country - why do people expect we would get the best candidate ?

Add the bizarre want for an Englishman and that leaves very view options

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
What are they going to ask him that they don't know already? He has been the U21 manager for ages (which I assume he had an interview to get), and been interim manager for 4 games. Just give him the bloody job and let him get on with it.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
It's not even the biggest/best job in the country - why do people expect we would get the best candidate ?

Add the bizarre want for an Englishman and that leaves very view options

Spot on. I completely agree.To be fair who else is there that it could be? There's not exactly a list of expirenced decent english coaches out there. I can only name about 4 in our top flight! The fa have said (wrongly in my view) that they wont go foriegn. Little option.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If the FA are only going to interview Southgate, why did they need to build a selection panel which got Howard Wilkinson, Le Saux and others. i would have thought that with a panel at least two other possible options would have been interviewed.
At the very least this would have given the FA a greater insight into possible replacements for Southgate in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here