Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney's "achievements"

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Rooney in quote about his England career:

"I love playing for my country and I am proud of my achievements to date - but I have not finished yet."
BBC website.

Perhaps you could explain to us what we could be proud of and exactly **what** you have "achieved" in the last
15 years for England.

Because I see absolutely f**** all unless you see making the England team the world's laughing stock an
achievement.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He's England's all time leading goalscorer.

He's not made much impact at tournament finals, but neither have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and so on, and he hasn't retired early either.

Last Saturday he spent time with fans, posed for photos, played the piano, and was very approachable. So how did one of our wonderful fans respond? Sold the pictures of Rooney looking lashed to The Sun, greedy little ********. Then fans wonder why players are so aloof, yet the first opportunity to line their pockets and it's form a lynch mob time.

I'm no fan of Rooney, but on this issue he's done nothing majorly wrong.

As for the 'footballers are role models' argument, it's BS put about by lazy journalists and politicians, whose behaviour is pretty reprehensible far more often than Rooney's.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I only remember him having one fairly decent tournament, then got sent off, wasnt it with that Ronaldo wink?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

He's not made much impact at tournament finals, but neither have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and so on, and he hasn't retired early either.

Last Saturday he spent time with fans, posed for photos, played the piano, and was very approachable. So how did one of our wonderful fans respond? Sold the pictures of Rooney looking lashed to The Sun, greedy little ********. Then fans wonder why players are so aloof, yet the first opportunity to line their pockets and it's form a lynch mob time.

As for the 'footballers are role models' argument, it's BS put about by lazy journalists and politicians, whose behaviour is pretty reprehensible far more often than Rooney's.

Agree with this my only disappointment with Rooney is he has never really pushed on to become the player we all hoped he would. The Rooney today should be at the top of his game but he looks a shadow of the player who lit up Euro 2004 before getting injured

For me he is someone who has never really nailed and perfected a single position and is now caught in a bizarre situation of wanting to drop deeper and be the next Paul Scholes rather than being the world class number 10 we all hoped he would be.

No doubt he has achieved in the game but has he delivered his full potential? Not for me

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

Agree. I'm not Rooney's biggest fan, but I am struggling to understand what his sin was. He had some drinks at a wedding? I understand that part and parcel of slebdom is being under a constant spotlight, but really this is very much Big Brother like, and the poor sod's probably wondering what on earth he can do now without a bunch of idiots judging and castigating him in such a completely self righteous, pompous manner.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There's context to all of these things. He was excellent in his break through tournament, the next couple he went to he was recovering from injuries, and let's be honest, the last four to five years he's just not been the all conquering player the media built him up to be. That's because, in reality, he was massively overhyped to start with in terms of his potential, because he clearly doesn't manage himself as well as the likes of Ronaldo etc, and because he's been shifted around the team and Utd and win England so much that he probably doesn't know what his best qualities are.

In spite of that, he's our top scorer and his achievements for Utd are massive. I'm not his biggest fan, but he does get more stick because of these things than the average player.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rooney in quote about his England career:

"I love playing for my country and I am proud of my achievements to date - but I have not finished yet."
BBC website.

Perhaps you could explain to us what we could be proud of and exactly **what** you have "achieved" in the last
15 years for England.

Because I see absolutely f**** all unless you see making the England team the world's laughing stock an
achievement.

He's scored 50 odd international goals and has given everything for his country. He's had his position because there has been no-one who was deemed better.

I can't comment on his character, and am even less interested. All I've seen is a footballer who has given his best.

You should have more respect. People wonder why the team aren't successful. Well, when players are viewed with such disdain it's hardly surprising. Overpaid ? Yes. But that's not their fault. And even if they were paid a modest wage I bet they'd still want to do it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

All of that. Don't particularly like him but the treatment he's getting over a having a few drinks, in the confines of a hotel when he doesn't have another game for a few days is completely OTT.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

All true. But let's not let facts get in the way of a bit Rooney bashing eh.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I only remember him having one fairly decent tournament, then got sent off, wasnt it with that Ronaldo wink?

The only decent tournament he had was Euro2004, then his metatarsal took him off. He was injured going into 2006 and the Ronaldo wink.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
As Mourinho has been speaking about players that won't play through the pain barrier.

Rooney has gone to major tournaments for England and given his all for his country when injured. He gets my respect.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
MBE for services to hair weaving

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here