Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Confessional

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hi Guys,

Can I suggest this is the thread where we all need to come and confess our sins, At the same time we should be seeking forgiveness and accepting (or suggesting) our pennace.

So to start here's the format:

Bless me Bozza for I have sinned, Friday night I was required to be at a business awards dinner rather than watch our match against Villa (No, that's not the sin)

During said dinner a former football manager bought me a drink, as the evening progressed it fell to me to return the kind offer. All good you think? Unfortunately the former manager was one Mr Iain Dowie. Now, I hear you say, that's akin to sleeping with the devil but I have to say he was a good laugh, interesting to listen too and a good time was had by all.

Naturally I seek forgiveness and accept my penance, may I suggest I donate £20 to The Chestnut Tree Children's Hospice and we hear no more about it?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I shat all over the away dressing room toilets and blamed it on the Palace coach driver.

I was so embarrassed with my lack of anal aim, I thought it would be the only believable story blaming a Palace employee.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I stole the heart of my fair maiden..........it's been 18 years now and i still have not returned it to her. :love:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
While Bob Marley was shooting the Sherriff, it was me who shot the Deputy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
After all these years it is time to confess.

You see, in the days of the 90s when Brighton were crap, I used to go to all the home and away matches. But, being a boy on a lowly income, it did prove rather expensive. I thought a good way to achieve this would be to find a way of getting into matches free.

I had heard that some fans had obtained press facilities for their 'publications' in the past and decided to give it a go. But how ? I wasn't a presser.

I invented a publication called the 'East Sussex Gazette and Sport'. No internet in those days, so only a suspicious representative would question things.

Press pass requests had to be faxed. I had no headed note paper. So on a Friday afternoon I would ring whoever the club was and, sounding in a fluster to make things more authentic, I would claim the fax machine was broken. It always worked. My name, an alias, would be placed on the list. I went to Hove Station and got some business cards printed too.

I felt a bit ashamed at times, especially with the warm welcomes I got. And avoided sitting near local Albion reporters such as the great John Vinicombe who was still around although at the end of his career.

I got to hear stuff, but the funniest was at Port Vale. I spent time sitting next to a Sunday Mirror reporter who looked like he was sentenced to be there. He asked me a lot of questions about the Albion which I was more than in a position to answer. He then asked me to mark the Albion players. The following day the report in the paper was as good as my own. He'd basically taken what I said and put it in print.

As the years have gone by I have remembered that time with fondness. The bad old days, pre the really, really bad old days, were actually quite fun. Combining this little scheme with the comp tickets that dear old Jock handed out on other occasions meant away days became a bit cheaper.

Rotherham United was my favourite away day. An excellent buffet and a perfect seat. Did you know that Liverpool were looking at Kurt Nogan ? The late and splendid Paul Mccarthy was on a few scout lists too. They were often in with us.

I very rarely attend matches anymore (and have always paid since 1995 !) so it makes the memories of those northern outposts more fonder.

Last edited:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

You see, in the days of the 90s when Brighton were crap, I used to go to all the home and away matches. But, being a boy on a lowly income, it did prove rather expensive. I thought a good way to achieve this would be to find a way of getting into matches free.

I had heard that some fans had obtained press facilities for their 'publications' in the past and decided to give it a go. But how ? I wasn't a presser.

I invented a publication called the 'East Sussex Gazette and Sport'. No internet in those days, so only a suspicious representative would question things.

Press pass requests had to be faxed. I had no headed note paper. So on a Friday afternoon I would ring whoever the club was and, sounding in a fluster to make things more authentic, I would claim the fax machine was broken. It always worked. My name, an alias, would be placed on the list. I went to Hove Station and got some business cards printed too.

I felt a bit ashamed at times, especially with the warm welcomes I got. And avoided sitting near local Albion reporters such as the great John Vinicombe who was still round although at the end of his career.

I got to hear stuff, but the funniest was at Port Vale. I spent time sitting next to a Sunday Mirror reporter who looked like he was sentenced to be there. He asked me a lot of questions about the Albion which I was more than in a position to answer. He then asked me to mark the Albion players. The following day the report in the paper was as good as my own. He'd basically taken what I said and put it in print.

As the years have gone by I have remembered that time with fondness. The bad old days, pre the really, really bad old days, were actually quite fun.

Rotherham United was my favourite away day. An excellent buffet and a perfect seat. Did you know that Liverpool were looking at Kurt Nogan ? The late and splendid Paul Mccarthy was on a few scout lists too. They were often in with us.

I very rarely attend matches anymore (and have always paid since 1995 !) so it makes the memories of those northern outposts much more fonder.
That is brilliant !!!
What a well planned and executed scheme.
Thanks for sharing your recollection.
You must of gone on to of done very well in life with such resourcefulness.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I felt a bit ashamed at times, especially with the warm welcomes I got. And avoided sitting near local Albion reporters such as the great John Vinicombe who was still around although at the end of his career.

As the years have gone by I have remembered that time with fondness. The bad old days, pre the really, really bad old days, were actually quite fun. Combining this little scheme with the comp tickets that dear old Jock handed out on other occasions meant away days became a bit cheaper.

I very rarely attend matches anymore (and have always paid since 1995 !) so it makes the memories of those northern outposts more fonder.

That's superb ...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Fab story - I used to play for a Sunday morning football team, which had a cricket team of the same name. As far as I am aware said cricket team has yet to play a single match, but the affiliated Sussex cricket season tickets have been well used (not by me I should add)

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023

I got to hear stuff, but the funniest was at Port Vale. I spent time sitting next to a Sunday Mirror reporter who looked like he was sentenced to be there. He asked me a lot of questions about the Albion which I was more than in a position to answer. He then asked me to mark the Albion players. The following day the report in the paper was as good as my own. He'd basically taken what I said and me with fondness. The bad old days, pre the really, really bad old days, were actually quite fun. Combining this little scheme with the comp tickets that dear old Jock handed out on other occasions meant away days became a bit cheaper.

Rotherham United was my favourite away day. An excellent buffet and a perfect seat. Did you know that Liverpool were looking at Kurt Nogan ? The late and splendid Paul Mccarthy
I think in the spirit of the thread, a few hail marys are in order here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here