Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff 3-2 Huddersfield

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Cardiff had 29% of the play against 71% for Huddersfield it shows its goals that count.
It's not always about dominating the play its goals that count.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just glad to see a team around us lose. Need Reading to start a wobble now.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think Leicester proved this last season. I'm sure they had less than 50% possession in almost all their games.
thats my point we had more possession and scraped a draw and we been under the cosh on some occasions and won at the end of the day if we have more points than anyone else we will achive the promised land which I think TB deserves and the club and the fans.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Cardiff had 29% of the play against 71% for Huddersfield it shows its goals that count.
It's not always about dominating the play its goals that count.

Hold the front page!!! :lolol: :jester:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
they should show possession in the opponents half

then you'd get a true reflection of the more dominate side

tippy tappy around the edge of your own box counts for nothing

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
they should show possession in the opponents half

then you'd get a true reflection of the more dominate side

tippy tappy around the edge of your own box counts for nothing

Yep! you and me sing from the same sheet on that one. In fact I'll go further. I reckon passing it around your own penalty box puts you under pressure. One mistake and you are one shot away from conceding.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yep! you and me sing from the same sheet on that one. In fact I'll go further. I reckon passing it around your own penalty box puts you under pressure. One mistake and you are one shot away from conceding.
good point offensive possession and defensive possession would be interesting.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
That was pretty much the only lopsided stat in that game, Cardiff had more shots (8-6), Huddersfield had one more corner etc...

Considering Cardiff went 3-0 up early, I would guess they were happy to let them have the ball as they didn't do much with it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Tell that to the Poyet fanboys that pop up on a weekly basis.

There is nothing wrong with things in moderation,especially winding down the clock at 90 mins.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wonder what the Barcelona Real Madrid Bayern Munich league possession stats are. They seem able to win games by keeping possession.

Conversely Rotherham dont have much of the ball and arent doing to well.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Defensive possession can serve a purpose in drawing ''high pressing'' defensive teams out of position but you need the personnel to be able to do it. Brighton have it now in that Dunk, Duffy, Bruno and Bong can knock it around the back and then when forwards come on to them all 4 of them can actually step up and stride out with the ball at their feet individually. Bruno, Duffy, and Dunk all did it successfully the other night but Bong had a slightly off night and couldn't do it. That allowed Villa to often get back into shape because he slowed things down a little.

You also need a ''link midfielder'' to be able to drop back and make angles to pick up the ball to give a different option from striding out with the ball to passing out. Kayal gives us that and we missed that the other night.

So yes possession does not always tell the true story in matches but if you have the players to play it effectively and effectively is the key word then it works a treat. If you just play it around the back to try and make you look good then it is a waste of ****ing time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Defensive possession can serve a purpose in drawing ''high pressing'' defensive teams out of position but you need the personnel to be able to do it. Brighton have it now in that Dunk, Duffy, Bruno and Bong can knock it around the back and then when forwards come on to them all 4 of them can actually step up and stride out with the ball at their feet individually. Bruno, Duffy, and Dunk all did it successfully the other night but Bong had a slightly off night and couldn't do it. That allowed Villa to often get back into shape because he slowed things down a little.

You also need a ''link midfielder'' to be able to drop back and make angles to pick up the ball to give a different option from striding out with the ball to passing out. Kayal gives us that and we missed that the other night.

So yes possession does not always tell the true story in matches but if you have the players to play it effectively and effectively is the key word then it works a treat. If you just play it around the back to try and make you look good then it is a waste of ****ing time.

Except that The Albion at home have looked 'out of sorts' twice this season, Villa and Brentford.
Both teams attacked Dunk & Duffy with 2, 3 sometimes even 4 players, this seemed to unsettle the entire team, shaking at the foundations.

I think teams are scared of this approach thinking they'll get undone by Brighton's 'usual' counter attacking.
Whereas it's beginning to seem like the reverse is true.

The easiest way to stop Brighton is to pick you're moments to attack the ball, enough times to unsettle D & D, but not enough to lose your shape.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Wonder what the Barcelona Real Madrid Bayern Munich league possession stats are. They seem able to win games by keeping possession.

Conversely Rotherham dont have much of the ball and arent doing to well.

It's almost like you're saying the reason Barca, RM and Bayern are better than Rotherham is due to their possession game!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Except that The Albion at home have looked 'out of sorts' twice this season, Villa and Brentford.
Both teams attacked Dunk & Duffy with 2, 3 sometimes even 4 players, this seemed to unsettle the entire team, shaking at the foundations.

I think teams are scared of this approach thinking they'll get undone by Brighton's 'usual' counter attacking.

The easiest way to stop Brighton is to pick you're moments to attack the ball, enough times to unsettle D & D, but not enough to lose your shape.

I cant comment on the Brentford match but I don't think Duffy or Dunk were ever in any trouble at all on Friday night

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Beginning to seem like the reverse is true? Don't buy that one match 12 games ago and one last Friday fits a trend. Opposition have to have enough quality to unsettle the pair; Hogan did, as did Kodjia, Grealish and others. But Jerome and Abraham among others were largely anonymous in the in between matches. Best defensive record in League; only Chelsea & Spurs out of 92 teams have conceded less, and from 6/5 games fewer. The theory may be fine (and against quality opposition demonstrated) but not too many teams seem able to execute.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Y image.png
Again another game which the better possession didn't win.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
That was pretty much the only lopsided stat in that game, Cardiff had more shots (8-6), Huddersfield had one more corner etc...

Considering Cardiff went 3-0 up early, I would guess they were happy to let them have the ball as they didn't do much with it.

Cardiff didn't go 3-0 up. That's the second time someone's posted that on here for some reason. Not that it matters of course. I'm just being pedantic.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Huddersfield were in a false position - they will sink to mid table. I don't think Reading will make the top six either, they are on a good run, but it won't last. Villa and Derby on the other hand will be top six. Norwich are a surprise - it seems they've completely failed to build a defense, despite their ample riches. I'm sure they'll strengthen in Jan, but it may be too late by then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here