Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to stop announcing away attendance?

Should we stop announcing away visitor numbers?

• Yes. Stop announcing away attendance

Votes: 88 68.2%
  • No. Keep announcing away attendance

Votes: 41 31.8%

• Total voters

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I'll get shouted at but here goes.....

I quite like that we do it and that we clap them. I like that Albion are one of the most welcoming clubs to away fans. It's one of the things that anyone I bring to games seems very impressed with. Shout at each other all game then welcome them in for a pint afterwards. It's how it should be in my opinion. We are all human.... Except obvious exceptions, Palace etc.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
If it has to be done, do it after the game. If supporters need to know the figures that much they can check online later.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I quite like that we do it and that we clap them. I like that Albion are one of the most welcoming clubs to away fans. It's one of the things that anyone I bring to games seems very impressed with. Shout at each other all game then welcome them in for a pint afterwards. It's how it should be in my opinion. We are all human.... Except obvious exceptions, Palace etc.

Away supporters don't need to be offered reasons to up their chanting whilst happy clapping goes on around the ground. Never done it and never will. However the welcoming for a post match pint I have absolutely no qualms with and have met some decent away supporters in the past.

I agree - by the time we make the announcement the result is normally not in doubt. It makes us a little different & that is what Brighton is all about. Who wants to be a Reading?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

A lot of clubs have decent fans and I don't mind them having a drink on the concourse post match with us. There doesn't seem any reason to announce the away attendances though. Last night they had quietened right off until we announce 3000 odd of them followed by by biggest gate of the season ect ect and they go nuts like they have scored and it is no surprise to me there best spell was around this time. Inside the ground we should seek to get every little advantage possible and things like this shoot us in the foot a bit at times by being to welcoming. Just announce the attendance on the tannoy at halftime and if they want to celebrate it then they can do so on their own concourse area

Last night they had quietened right off until we announce 3000 odd of them followed by by biggest gate of the season ect ect and they go nuts like they have scored and it is no surprise to me there best spell was around this time.
Judging purely by the Sky commentary, our fans had also gone quiet. Why are you blaming the announcers for our lack of passion for the big attendance?
I'm sure you complainers would say differently if it was announced at our away games.

Last edited:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Judging purely by the Sky commentary, our fans had also gone quiet. Why are you blaming the announcers for our lack of passion for the big attendance?
I'm sure you complainers would say differently if it was announced at our away games.

I'm not complaining about our noise and I've not blamed the announcer for it. As had been said on another thread the atmosphere our end for whatever reason wasn't on par with normal. I'm saying last night it gave 3000 away fans a 2nd wind after they had also died down and it coinsided with their best spell of the game by far. I personally don't care if it was announced at out away games or not.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
In the ESU last night some people stood up to applaud the away fan attendance. I don't care if they announce the away attendance or not and clapping it is up to the individual however standing up to clap them is over the top imho.

Jimmy Grimble

Depends on the game I think. In a tense game like last night, where the opposition have a big away following it is not a good idea. All it does is lift the away fans and they start making more noise.

If it's 200 Burton fans on a Tuesday night then go for it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not completely convinced we need to stop announcing it. But should certainly stop announcing the whole figure in a way that suggests it's THE most AMAZING crowd ever to have watched a Brighton game... On balance, I'd just stick the figure on the big screen for anyone who cares.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Really..... Do those moaning that the annoucment encouraged Villa to up the tempo realise that they were already on top since Jack came on, absolutely nothing to do with a tannoy annoucment...

Let's also remember it works both ways, oh how the very same people moaning probably partake in a bit of piss taking banter when its announced Reading have brought 167 fans or something....

Keep it, were Brighton we know who we are, what we are...

Excuses are for Ptemiership wannabes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Really..... Do those moaning that the annoucment encouraged Villa to up the tempo realise that they were already on top since Jack came on, absolutely nothing to do with a tannoy annoucment...

Personally, I'm not against it because I thought it made Villa play better. Purely because the way the overall crowd announcement is hyped up so much just comes across as a bit pathetic... made me cringe at the Norwich game too...

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Perhaps we should stop announcing away team line ups and their substitutions , plus when they score , if people actually thinks it makes a difference. Villa played better and their fans out sung us for the whole game not just when the away attendance was read out

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I really don't see why we do it, there is absolutely no point.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Personally, last night, what gave Villa fans a lift was being told over exuberantly by RR that it was the biggest gate of the season. They upped their vocal support noticeably after that.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I quite like that we do it and that we clap them. I like that Albion are one of the most welcoming clubs to away fans. It's one of the things that anyone I bring to games seems very impressed with. Shout at each other all game then welcome them in for a pint afterwards.
Welcome them for a pint afterwards, yes, but the attendance is read out during the ****ing game! I'm compelled to boo them each time the muppets around me clap.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Personally, last night, what gave Villa fans a lift was being told over exuberantly by RR that it was the biggest gate of the season. They upped their vocal support noticeably after they.

Agreed. Just stick it on the screen for those who want to know and cut out the accompanying vocal announcements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here