Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

11 game unbeaten run, a positive.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
_92557759_murray_rex.jpg

Glenn Murray scored his 10th goal this season as Brighton resisted a second-half Aston Villa onslaught to extend their unbeaten league run to 11 games.

Nathan Baker met an Albert Adomah free-kick with a fine flicked header to put Villa in front after 20 minutes.

Murray responded with fizzing a low shot past goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini just before the break.

Jonathan Kodjia hit the bar and David Stockdale made two crucial saves as Villa pressed for a second-half winner.

While Villa were denied all three points at the Amex Stadium they remain unbeaten in six games since Steve Bruce took charge in October.

Baker's goal came with the first shot on target and against the run of play as second-placed Brighton started brighter, controlling more than 70% of the ball early on.

While the hosts would go on to dominate the possession stakes until Villa's second-half flurry, it was on the counter-attack that the Seagulls struck - Murray producing a sublime finish to level.

Jack Grealish came off the bench to give Villa renewed energy after the hour mark, with Jordan Ayew's introduction after replacing Gabriel Agbonlahor also giving Bruce's side impetus.

However, Stockdale was equal to Kodjia's mis-timed header and a low Adomah shot, while Ivory Coast international Kodjia also hit the bar with a header from close range.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37946486

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I don't think anyone will be too negative after that. Villa are a good team with a proven manager in this league, it was key that we didn't lose the game, and considering we weren't at the races a point is a decent return. Lets not get too hung up on unbeaten runs like last season though, we need to get back to winning ways against Fulham.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't think anyone will be too negative after that. Villa are a good team with a proven manager in this league, it was key that we didn't lose the game, and considering we weren't at the races a point is a decent return. Lets not get too hung up on unbeaten runs like last season though, we need to get back to winning ways against Fulham.

Supporting the Albion has its rollercoaster moments, there's a lot of ooohs and aaahs, but I wouldn't want it any other way :cool:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We didn't play well but that's largely down to how well Villa played against us so fair play to them. Any team which dominates a game despite Gary Gardner and Agbonlahor in the side deserves respect. Kodjia again showing what an overrated mess of arms and legs he is and Jedinak elbowing everything near him and Baker being a calamity were all to be expected but they were organised and dangerous. Classic Bruce team, they'll be top 6 come the end of the season.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Shame we did not raise our game , we started of a big flat , and never really got going .Villa were a good team but we had an off today

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Still on target for a win-at-home-draw-away 92 point finish.

:albion2:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Got annoyed by Sky report headline which was Villa held by Brighton given our relative league positions.

Another positive is the ability to come from behind to get a draw or a win. There was a time previously where if we went behind that was basically game over

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If given the chance to take 27 points from 11 games post Brentford, would anyone have turned it down? Turning draws into victories better than last season and winning games by more than a goal. Can't see too much to complain about.

Arguably it was more important for Villa to win last night than us. 13 points behind 2nd place is a hell of a lot to make up.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Got annoyed by Sky report headline which was Villa held by Brighton given our relative league positions.

Another positive is the ability to come from behind to get a draw or a win. There was a time previously where if we went behind that was basically game over

Thought you might have got used to us being patronised and under estimated by media by now. We have had a season and a third of it, after all.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well said.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Shame we did not raise our game , we started of a big flat , and never really got going .Villa were a good team but we had an off today

I thought we started both halves okay. In the first half, their goal knocked us back, very similar to what our goal did to Bristol City two weeks ago but crucially we didn't concede the second. In the second half, the substitutions changed it for them. We have a decent bench but can't compete with bringing players like Ayew and Grealish on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have a decent bench but can't compete with bringing players like Ayew and Grealish on.

Albion s team spirit is great for the size of the squad that we have.
As the 'bigger' teams have more money and follows for bigger squads, I don't always think that that it generates greater team spirit.
I remember the days of when the Italian clubs were buying all the good players of the time, in a blatant way, so as nobody else could have them.
You cannot squeeze all these players into eleven births, some of them will soon get pissed and want to leave.
So I'm fine with what we have.
Siege mentality and all that jazz :thumbsup:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I think if we play teams as good as Villa we need 3 central midfield players and maybe look to drop Baldock so we won't get overrun in central midfield

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's refreshing not to see an NSC binfest after we haven't played particularly well. Perhaps the trains have channeled peoples anger.

el punal

Wise words. I felt after the game that that was a point gained. Yes, we struggled last night and generally the team were off colour and careless in a lot of situations. But, they stuck together and held on for that valuable point. Last season that match would have ended in a defeat. As you say, let's move on and beat Fulham.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I think if we play teams as good as Villa we need 3 central midfield players and maybe look to drop Baldock so we won't get overrun in central midfield

Think that's spot on. Normally, whichever 2 we play in the middle will outclass any 2/3 the opposition puts out. Last night for first 70, we had the better of Gardner and Westwood but Jedinak as the extra man was picking up everything. When grealish was brought on, he was used as the spare man to great effect in an attacking sense. Latter being more dangerous to us than spare man being used defensively, so CH made the change and matched them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here