Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton station trouble

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
i know its a recurring theme, but the incompetence of Southern Trains will one day lead to
a seroius public order event and yet the police do nothing. Surely prevention of this should be actionioned.
manslaughter charge waiting to happen.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What about Southern Trains?

A fine service....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I said this Fulham home last season when I arrived in the 40th minute , despite getting to Brighton at 6.40pm. In a way I hope it does kick off sooner rather than later as maybe the police / the club / Southern will take action.

We seem happy to accept moving these games which I get, but without the infrastructure to get people to and from games in a reasonable time

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Trains to Lewes cancelled tonight after the game. 2 trains in an hour after the game and one went straight through. The other was 3 carriages and absolutely rammed. The unions say they wont run trains without a guard for safety reasons. Surely overcrowded trains are just as unsafe. Tonight it was a wonder that young children did not either fall getting on the trains or crushed while they were on them. It is only a matter of time before an accident occurs. Time someone sorted out. It has been going on long enough.

I don't normally post e-mails that the Club send out to transport providers, but I'll make an exception for this one:-

Sent on Monday:-

Ed,
Just to keep you informed regarding Fridays match v Villa, where we are expecting to sell all 30,000 tickets including 3,000 from Aston Villa.
All car parks are being close to being full, and Southern have confirmed we are to receive a full match day rail service, therefore a busy night all round.
Regards,

If Southern had any foresight, they would have seen that there might be problems tonight providing a "full match day rail service". If they had admitted as much, the Club might have prepared the contingency plans that have applied on strike days and laid on the extra park & ride facilities and the shuttle buses from Lewes. But no.

I find it difficult to avoid putting the blame for this omnishambles on anyone other than the management of Southern Rail.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
So was there trouble or just big queues?:D

There was the potential for trouble, particularly when at 7pm with a massive queue at Brighton station a surge to get on a train pushed a barrier over and people fell. Pissed-up Villa fans who had waited 45 mins were getting aggressive.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I spoke to some Villa fans in Wetherspoons and warned them about the train problems and they said it was no problem as it was only 10 minutes on the train. They finally left just before 7pm and were staggering up West Street towards the station. I doubt they made it for kick off

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I thought this was going to be about a massive fight breaking out between Villa and Brighton fans at Brighton Station.

If it was I suspect someone would have announced over that tannoy the number of Villa fans who fought and thanked them for the punches thrown. Cue all other Brighton fans applauding.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought this was going to be about a massive fight breaking out between Villa and Brighton fans at Brighton Station.

Think OP knew what he was doing when he typed subject of thread. Guarantees more hits.:catfight:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The queue at around 18.30 was stretching to the pavement opposite The Belle. Never, ever seen it that long before.

The atmosphere was great with both sets of fans have a singalong, probably helped by the steel band playing at the station ( YMCA on a near loop, good choice! )

I thought the old bill were superb, just taking a back seat and looking on, only taking an opened beer off a lad that was about 16 and well pi$$ed. They were letting people drink openly as long as there wasn't a problem with it.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The situation is intolerable and SURELY cannot continue. How long do we have to put up with this absolute joke of a service? As has been mentioned it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured and real trouble kicks off. Why are we waiting for this to happen? This needs resolving now.

END SOUTHERN RAIL'S COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE MANAGEMENT OF OUR RAIL FRANCHISE

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I dread to think what will happen if we get promoted, with the majority of games being sell outs and lots of away support, there is bound to be some serious issues at Brighton, Lewes and Falmer station if people can't get to/from the match.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The queue at around 18.30 was stretching to the pavement opposite The Belle. Never, ever seen it that long before.

The atmosphere was great with both sets of fans have a singalong, probably helped by the steel band playing at the station ( YMCA on a near loop, good choice! )

I thought the old bill were superb, just taking a back seat and looking on, only taking an opened beer off a lad that was about 16 and well pi$$ed. They were letting people drink openly as long as there wasn't a problem with it.

I always find these huge queues so unnecessary. It's Brighton. There is plenty to do rather than queue in the cold. I understand the desperation to get on your way to the ground but it's not gonna get anyone there quicker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here