Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38025513

At a time of Brexit uncertainty and cost-cutting to health and benefit budgets, someone sees fit to spend £369m on refurbishing Buckingham Palace. It is high-time they chipped in for some of this and if they don't like it they should abdicate.

Cards on the table; I am a republican. But I really do feel that regardless of your opinions on who should be head of state, this is truly shameful. My wife volunteers at a family support charity called Welcare, and every week there are people turning up in tears, worried about not being able to pay the heating bill or being turfed out of rented accommodation. There is advice being given on how to keep warm without turning up the heating, or how to feed a family of four on ludicrously small amounts of money. Meanwhile, the biggest spongers in the country (who also happen to be the wealthiest) get looked after like this. It really is an absolute DISGRACE.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The race is on...

Who will be the first True Blue to start telling us what great value for money the royal spongers are...??

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not that I don't disagree with the disgusting disparity between the rich and poor, with us regular people shuffling awkwardly in the middle, I'm so glad that the Intl. break is over and we can get back to football tonight! x

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't Buck Palace owned by the country rather than the royal family? What are you going to say when the bill comes in for Westminster Palace?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't Buck Palace owned by the country rather than the royal family? What are you going to say when the bill comes in for Westminster Palace?
There is a debate being had as to whether or not to refurbish them at all and simply move to a new purpose-built building somewhere more central. It's a debate I'd welcome, quite frankly.

The race is on...

Who will be the first True Blue to start telling us what great value for money the royal spongers are...??

This issue really should go above the royalty or presidential debate and actually ask what sort of society we want? Do we want one that looks after it's weakest members or one whose top brass that frivolously spends money in an effort to curry favour with the rich and powerful. Because as far as I can see, this is an absolutely disgusting decision that absolutely shits all over those people struggling to make ends meet. As anyone who watched C4 last night at the same time as me will attest, there are now qualified professionals such as single-parent nurses who are officially homeless, despite being in work, simply because rents in London are no longer affordable. We are in no position to spend money on Royal palaces. It is a shameful indictment to this country.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Buckingham Palace doesn't belong to the Royal family, it belongs to the state. I assume that the relative presidents don't have to pay for refurbishment to the White House or the Élysée Palace.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I recently discovered that Canadians pay more per capita for the queen than Brits do. So I'll be funding a SIGNIFICANT portion of this refurbishment. I at least want a say in the choice of wallpaper.

franks brother

Children homeless, people eating out of food banks, people losing their homes because of the bedroom tax, people being cut off their dole and declared "Fit For Work" even though they are seriously ill.
But never mind because Elizabeth Windsor wants her Gaff tarted up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Buckingham Palace doesn't belong to the Royal family, it belongs to the state. I assume that the relative presidents don't have to pay for refurbishment to the White House or the Élysée Palace.

It's not really the same though is it? A president only uses the White House for 8 years. It isn't a birth right.

Regardless of that, I would simply urge people like you to wonder how you'd feel if it was your son or daughter turning up at a homeless shelters or a charitable Welcare centre with family on tow. Seriously, these people are the ones that need looking after. Buildings can wait.

However great their "value for money" might be, £369 million is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on "refitting" Buckingham Palace. They could build a new one for a tenth of that sum.
Absolutely. I am afraid to say that the price tag could be £36.9 billion and there would be people still insisting this was all absolutely fine.

I'll tell you what is also interesting - the BBC hasn't opened it's comments section. They never do when it comes to this sort of article. BBC - part of the establishment and royal lickspittles in chief.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Money taken from the sovereign grant which is a fraction of the revenue granted to the treasury from the royal estate. So no, it's not taxpayer funded.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However great their "value for money" might be, £369 million is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on "refitting" Buckingham Palace.
It does sound like quite a lot doesn't it.

They could build a new one for a tenth of that sum.
Given that it cost £100m to build the Amex, I don't see how they could build a new BP for £37m.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not really the same though is it? A president only uses the White House for 8 years. It isn't a birth right.

Regardless of that, I would simply urge people like you to wonder how you'd feel if it was your son or daughter turning up at a homeless shelters or a charitable Welcare centre with family on tow. Seriously, these people are the ones that need looking after. Buildings can wait.

If my son or daughter were in need, then I would house and feed them. They would never have to rely on charities because I would put family first.

I agree the government should be sorting out housing and welfare benefits, instead of lining their own pockets and the banks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Money taken from the sovereign grant which is a fraction of the revenue granted to the treasury from the royal estate. So no, it's not taxpayer funded.
Eh?

Sovereign Grant
noun
noun: Sovereign Grant

(in the UK) the allowance provided annually by the government to support the Queen in her official duties, which replaced the Civil List in 2011.

Who pays for that then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here