Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby County to play at Pride Park once again

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Derby County moved to their new home - Pride Park - in 1997. In 2013 they completed a deal with ipro for naming rights for £7m for 10 years.

The deal has ended - not sure why and there's nothing in the media as yet - according to Sky Sports News with the stadium name reverting to Pride Park - the area where the ground is situated.

As far as Brighton is concerned I guess most people refer to our ground as The Amex rather than Falmer.

Wonder if we would refer to our home as Falmer if we were in a similar situation?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've always known it as Pride Park, just as I've always known Bradford as Valley Parade and Bournemouth as Dean Court. I can't keep up with sponsorship changes (is Boltons still the Reebok ? That's all I've ever known it as).

I gather Amex have a 10 year deal here. Therefore, the Amex will ALWAYS be the Amex to me, regardless of any future changes. My brain simply does not adjust.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I've always known it as Pride Park, just as I've always known Bradford as Valley Parade and Bournemouth as Dean Court. I can't keep up with sponsorship changes (is Boltons still the Reebok ? That's all I've ever known it as).

I gather Amex have a 10 year deal here. Therefore, the Amex will ALWAYS be the Amex to me, regardless of any future changes. My brain simply does not adjust.

Same here

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think we should rename the Amex to Pride Park - just to watch Timmy's head explode when Pride isn't just once a year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we should rename the Amex to Pride Park - just to watch Timmy's head explode when Pride isn't just once a year.
Or Peppa Pig Park - then he can stress in advance about every game being rearranged.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Huddersfield Town must have had the most name changes. Originally known as Kirklees Stadium it has had three names.

1994 - 2004 McAlpine Stadium
2004 - 2012 Galpharm Stadium
2012 - Current - John Smith's Stadium

What do their fans call the stadium? Did 'The Mac' stick?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As the Amex has never had any other name I guess it will stick. Whoever takes over the sponsorship will have a heck of a job changing it. Would need to be a simple one word company.
I also wonder how many associate Amex with American Express when they hear it on TV and radio, or is it just getting a name in someones head.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Huddersfield Town must have had the most name changes. Originally known as Kirklees Stadium it has had three names.

I still call it the McAlpine. It's all a load of nonsense though isn't it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I think Bournemouth are the biggest stadium whores. Its been:

Dean Court
Fitness First Stadium
Seward Stadium
Goldsands Stadium
and now the Vitality Stadium

Must cost them a BOMB in new letterheads.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I think Bournemouth are the biggest stadium whores. Its been:

Dean Court
Fitness First Stadium
Seward Stadium
Goldsands Stadium
and now the Vitality Stadium

Must cost them a BOMB in new letterheads.

I'd never heard of Seward. Just Googled and it was a motor group July 2011 to February 2012 when they went into administration.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've 'heard' that it was a mutual thing, not sure how that works because (just like the Amex), money was paid in tranches up front so I guess we have to give some back? Dunno. Surely everyone still calls it PP anyway?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes. I would prefer the New Goldstone.[/QUOTE]

Strangely, when the stadium was being built, I was determined to call it that, but since then have mellowed and just say either the stadium or the Amex. But if it changes, and new names surface with depressing regularity, then perhaps a campaign might be launched . . Won't be popular with the suits. I am happy with the current name, and accept that sponsorship does bring in much-needed dosh, which would be churlish to refuse, but there are limits.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here