Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

14-year-old girl who died of cancer wins right to be cryogenically frozen

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Get the tissues out.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...r-preservation-after-death-agreed-to-by-court

Known only as JS, she sent a letter to the court: “I have been asked to explain why I want this unusual thing done. I’m only 14 years old and I don’t want to die, but I know I am going to. I think being cryo‐preserved gives me a chance to be cured and woken up, even in hundreds of years’ time.
Dying is the last thing anyone wants to do – so keep cool and carry on
Read more

“I don’t want to be buried underground. I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up. I want to have this chance. This is my wish.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a bit macabre but I can see her point, 14 is no age to die. Poor kid.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As John Humphrey said on Radio 4 this morning 'if a person could successfully be brought back to life at some stage in the future whether it be 100 years or 500 years time with today's memories in their brain, how would they adjust to their surroundings. It would literally be like being born again.'

Personally I find it very interesting and believe that at some stage in the future this will be possible.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Horrible age to die and thoughts with the family.

It is very bizarre but it would be amazing if one day we were able to find a cure and to wake people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As John Humphrey said on Radio 4 this morning 'if a person could successfully be brought back to life at some stage in the future whether it be 100 years or 500 years time with today's memories in their brain, how would they adjust to their surroundings. It would literally be like being born again.'
As I said after reading what he said: 'so ****ing what!?'.

She was 14. Nothing, or the chance to learn about her new surroundings. If it was a guaranteed option, it would be an easy choice for me. As it is, I don't imagine it will be possible for her.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Wouldn't a person need to be cryo-frozen before they die to have any chance to be brought back to life with a cure if one was ever found? And would the cryo-process possibly kill them anyway?

Otherwise wouldn't it be then just raising people from the dead as if you've already died then a cure won't bring you back from death.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It probably helped her cope with the knowledge she was going to die - giving her hope that through science she may one day be able to return. I expect that gave her a semblance of hope and comfort that others find through faith and religion. If that made her tragically short life a little easier for her, then I think that's a great thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wouldn't a person need to be cryo-frozen before they die to have any chance to be brought back to life with a cure if one was ever found?
Not necessarily - if you die and are perfectly preserved immediately, and no attempt has been made to resuscitate you, that could be done when you are defrosted.
And would the cryo-process possibly kill them anyway?
Possibly? You're suggesting someone could be frozen, yet still alive? "Yeah, thumbsup, think I'm good".

Obviously it would kill them. But you could have your heart stopped in a hospital, then started again.

The problem, as I see it (having done zero research) is preserving what there is now, and keeping your memories etc.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
So "the body of JS has now been preserved and transported from where she lived in London to the US, where it has been frozen “in perpetuity” by a commercial company at a cost of £37,000."

Does anyone really believe that a private company is going to exist for hundreds of years, let alone "in perpetuity", and will continue to pay the costs of storage and on-going freezing and monitoring?

I can't imagine it being medically viable on a "healthy" body, let alone one that's died from disease or old-age.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Incredible story.... all very AUSTIN POWERS.

Surely everyone that's dying could start doing this in the hope they can have a longer life??
With a billion people frozen, the future generations will understandably decide they can't afford to bring us all back to life, so they'll switch the machines off.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Surely everyone that's dying could start doing this in the hope they can have a longer life??

Yep, I'm currently researching Black Friday deals on bigger freezers...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-e...rozen&&ns_fee=0#post_582ecacfe4b0e58fc37d3ac9

Cornish couple save to have bodies frozen

A woman in Cornwall has saved £28,000 to be frozen when she dies.

Chrissie de Rivaz, 76, decided to be cryogenically preserved after her husband John signed up to have his body frozen on death.

With the additional costs to fly them to the US after their deaths, the cash total is close to £65,000.

She said: "I can't see any reason to just send me up the flume and I hate the idea of being buried in the ground, so why not take this chance to come back again."

Several hundred people have already paid to have their bodies cryogenically preserved in three existing facilities in the US and Russia, and there are as many as 1,250 on waiting lists.

Cryonics UK, a non-profit organisation which provides assistance to people in the UK who want their body to be frozen on death, said it has helped 10 people so far.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
With a billion people frozen, the future generations will understandably decide they can't afford to bring us all back to life, so they'll switch the machines off.

"Bloody cryos, all melting and taking our jobs"

But will God let them out of Heaven?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good scam for the future. Die get a death certificate get frozen claim life assurance money get unfrozen.

While a young age to die her parents must have more money than sense to pay out for this.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Incredible story.... all very AUSTIN POWERS.

More like The Returned.

Expect at some point medical science will progress to the necessary point to make it possible. A Professor of something or other from Oxbridge on the Beeb this morning was talking about transplanting brains, keeping them active and healthy in storage then possibly moving them into new bodies. Mind boggling...

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Its all very exciting. I dont much fancy dying so this gathering pace would definitely appeal to the masses im sure..... even a 1% chance of "coming back" is better than the current alternative.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... even a 1% chance of "coming back" is better than the current alternative.

its a lot less than 1% chance. right now its a 0% chance as it's not known it would ever be possible. its an assumption that, given we've done so well at medicine that past 50 years or so, we might be able to do something at an indeterminate point in the future. reality is it may never be possible to regenerate a dead brain, we dont even know how or what happens to the brain in death. we struggle to understand the mechanics in living.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Sad story.

Didn't they do a check up on one of the guys that was frozen in the eighties a few years ago, they found that he was a bit errrr... soggy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here