Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Keane?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
At the risk of this being a bit BensGrandad'ish, i see Robbie Keane has left LA Galaxy. It states he us looking for another MLS club, but i just wonder what peoples thoughts would be towards him getting a short term contract here?

He must be the wrong side of 35 now but i understand he has been performing well in America, was in the RoI squad at the Euros and still has an eye for goal.

Worth a 3 or 6 month contract? He must have bags of experience to pass on, could be a fantastic understudy for Baldock, ready to come off the bench for 25 mins every week. I don't think we hate him for any reason do we? Also i wonder if there is a CH link from his time at Spurs?

It's a yes from me.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Are you serious? BG wouldn't even come out with something so outlandish. It's a no from me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Sometimes a player can do more in the background than they do on the pitch (a la Phil Stant), but undoubtedly Robbie Keane could still put the ball in the net.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
With the likes of Burno and Murray not getting any younger, we need yoof imho. He would not be cheap either, money that might be used elsewhere.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
With the likes of Burno and Murray not getting any younger, we need yoof imho. He would not be cheap either, money that might be used elsewhere.

Long term yes, although i actually think we have good mix in the squad age wise.

I'm thinking of the next 6 months and no further. Age is unimportant for the next 6 months. Experience could be crucial come the end of March. A wise old head like Robbie Keane coming off the bench to keep the likes of Dunk & Stephens calm could be the difference between promotion or play offs.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It would be a no brainer for me.

The guys record speaks for itself.

Palace signed Phillips, Reading signed Jason Roberts. This kind of experience can do wonders to a team pushing for promotion.

If we were looking for a permanent signing for a couple of seasons then that would be a different matter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just looked at his goal scoring, looks like he's scored for fun in the MLS. but too old and maybe not up for the cut and thrust of Championship? it wouldnt be a bad signing if it didnt cost alot, but it probably would so lets look to the next generation.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think it's a great idea. He's fit enough and playing regularly enough. Yeah, he won't play 90 mins of every game, but we don't need him to.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
At the risk of this being a bit BensGrandad'ish, i see Robbie Keane has left LA Galaxy. It states he us looking for another MLS club, but i just wonder what peoples thoughts would be towards him getting a short term contract here?

He must be the wrong side of 35 now but i understand he has been performing well in America, was in the RoI squad at the Euros and still has an eye for goal.

Worth a 3 or 6 month contract? He must have bags of experience to pass on, could be a fantastic understudy for Baldock, ready to come off the bench for 25 mins every week. I don't think we hate him for any reason do we? Also i wonder if there is a CH link from his time at Spurs?

It's a yes from me.

Normally I would ''poo poo'' such suggestions because these once good players often don't have the same drive later in life. And yes your suggestion does sound very Bens Grandadish but I think he would be a good signing to the end of the season.

He links up brilliantly between midfield and attack and he is still a good finisher as well. The vibes coming from him are very different from those coming from Stephen Gerrard.

Gerrad is strutting around stating how many offers he has on the table which means he will be looking to pick the easy option for himself. Keane on the other hand is stating that he is looking for one last final ''challenge'' in his career and that suggests that a fight to get a team into the Premiership for the first time ever would be an appropriate challenge and if it is successful what better way to end your career by celebrating promotion at the end of the season.

He is still in great form and his lack of pace is the only negative that I can forsee here; however, the chances he creates for others and the fact that he scores his fair share of goals would benefit Brighton well in the run in to this seasons climax. So I would be in the YES camp for such a move and that viewpoint surprises even me.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've a feeling he'll do what Damien Duff did and do half a season for what is now his hometown club (they moved there a while ago) Shamrock Rovers. They'll probably get a sponsor for the wages and he has a house in Ireland.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I thought the op was going to suggest him as the new assistant manager rather than a player.
Money can be better used with a younger player

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If he is friends of CH,from their club and country times ,then why not,an ideal nunber 10......who will score goals fo us !!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
there's no such thing as 'friends' in football.......Calderwood ?

Tim Sherwood was appointed at Swindon Town by chairman Lee Power....who played with Sherwood at Norwich.

Sherwood used to send Spurs players on loan.....to Swindon Town.

"friends".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here