Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarkson, May & Hammond - Grand Tour

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
So first impressions?

Its basically Top Gear with a mahoosive budget and let loose from the shackles of the BBC.

I liked it, it made me smile and chuckle. Seemed slicker and more polished than the BBC version. It will do well I think

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Halfway through first episode.
Definitely well budgeted.
Driving 3 hyper cars around a track in America doesn't really do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
You'd need to tie me to a chair with stockings (not too tight now) and cable ties, then staple my eyelids open (blutack would suffice) to watch those self-indulgent ****s.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Driving 3 hyper cars around a track in America doesn't really do it for me.

Really? Blimey, that's going to be my favourite bit. It (TG) was originally a car show, and those bits about amazing motors is the main reason for me to watch. The other bits are normally quite funny, sometimes amazing, occasionally bollocks, but the cars, that's the bit for me.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think I saw a preview clip over the weekend with JC driving a Reliant too quickly around a corner and he turned it over. Gutted I can't see the full series if that's typical of its awesomeness.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll dig out the old thread later this morning, from when it was announced they'd gone to Amazon. I recall some predicting it would only be watched by about 10,000 people because no one uses these video services to watch stuff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'll dig out the old thread later this morning, from when it was announced they'd gone to Amazon. I recall some predicting it would only be watched by about 10,000 people because no one uses these video services to watch stuff.

BBC say that Amazon has around 1.25 million Prime subscribers in the UK. Netflix has 5 million.
Go back to early Sky and they started with 1 million. Maybe giving away the Amazon stick would help.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Presumably it'll be knocking about somewhere on Kodi before long. I'll have a squizz then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BBC say that Amazon has around 1.25 million Prime subscribers in the UK. Netflix has 5 million.
Go back to early Sky and they started with 1 million. Maybe giving away the Amazon stick would help.

I've seen estimates of 100m Prime subscribers worldwide, with around half in the US and half otuside previously.

This play for new Top Gear was never about the UK.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So what is it actually like?

I heard a few months ago that it was going to be like a special every episode? Is this the case? If so then I will probably watch it here and there

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've seen estimates of 100m Prime subscribers worldwide, with around half in the US and half otuside previously.

Exactly, most Americans seemed to love Top Gear and I imagine that will be their core market for the new show

Anyway it cannot be worse than the shite served up by shouty Chris Evans

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I heard a few months ago that it was going to be like a special every episode? Is this the case? If so then I will probably watch it here and there

I've just read The Guardian review which indicates it's very similar to old Top Gear but with more money. Old Top Gear fans should be happy.

Interestingly, and bucking the trend for this sort of thing, Amazon haven't released the whole thing to be binge-watched, they're releasing one episode every Friday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's almost as if a multi billion pound, global business, that has pretty much single handedly transformed something as basic as shopping knows what it's doing and did it's due diligence.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Too true. Top Gear was rolling in the money for the BBC (and Clarkson) in export sales around the world. Amazons target would not be the UK alone. Interestingly there was no 'freebie' preview sent to any journalists. No one saw this prior to midnight. Was it a world wide release or have the Yanks seen it already?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They have an ENORMOUS tent which they take around the world to use as a studio (complete with audience). It takes 8 days to ERECT and about 4 days to take down and pack away, so there's actually 2 tents, so they can use the "spare" and crack on to the next location without waiting for the other one to be deconstructed and packed away. And no piece can be longer than 13ft, or it won't fit in the air freight containers, so there are lots and lots of pieces. The tent floor alone weighs "more than Asia", as it needs to be perfectly smooth and solid for the cameras to whiz around on.

That was in the Sunday Times supplement a couple of weeks ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here