Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester United's finances

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My heart bleeds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38015518

Manchester United will lose more than £20m in sponsorship income from Adidas if they fail to qualify for next year's Champions League.

The German sportswear giant is in the second season of a 10-year, £750m deal.

After announcing a fall in first-quarter revenue, United said the annual payment will reduce by 30% if they do not reach Europe's flagship competition for a second successive season.

United are sixth in the Premier League, six points off the top four.

"There is a clause in the Adidas contract that applies if we are missing from the Champions League for two years in a row," said United's chief financial officer Cliff Baty.

"An example would be if we [were due to receive] £70m [in a given year], we would not receive £21m."

The sum is taken off each year of the contract, with the first payment covering the years for which the deal - which came into force in 2015 - has been active.

Baty said a failure by United to get out of the Europa League group stage this season would cost the club "single digit millions".

United's failure to qualify for this season's Champions League has already had an impact on their 2016-17 finances.

First-quarter revenue - to 30 September - was down £3.4m (2.8%) to £120.2m, with matchday income down 32.3% to £16.8m. Profit was £6.2m.

The reduction in income is largely down to United playing three fewer home games than in the same period in 2015.

Debt has risen 18% to £337.7m, due to the fall in the pound against the dollar since the Brexit vote.

Executive director Ed Woodward said: "Our financial results for this quarter reflect the impact of our non-participation in the Uefa Champions League."

The club's commercial revenue rose 4.4% to £74.3m, with overall revenue for the year expected to be between £530m and £540m.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As much as I loathe the rags, they are Manchester's biggest private sector employer, and a lot of working class people depend on them to help pay the rent.

I have it on very good authority that there is a job freeze at present due to the dip in their results.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
:whistle::whistle:
As much as I loathe the rags, they are Manchester's biggest private sector employer, and a lot of working class people depend on them to help pay the rent.

I have it on very good authority that there is a job freeze at present due to the dip in their results.

Can't they go and get a job at Man City? They are doing rather well at the moment.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nobody is owed a living. I enjoy watching Man Utd's present tribulations.

FA Cup holders, playing in Europe and sixth in the league. Hardly tribulations. It is great however watching them spit the dummies out after the way they were tugging themselves off a few months ago when Maureen, Ibrahimovic and Pogba signed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FA Cup holders, playing in Europe and sixth in the league. Hardly tribulations. It is great however watching them spit the dummies out after the way they were tugging themselves off a few months ago when Maureen, Ibrahimovic and Pogba signed.
You've got to be a pretty special club if you're able to carry massive sponsorship deals like Adidas, Aon and Chevrolet.
Not to mention a total of 25 global, 12 regional, 13 media and 14 financial 'partners' http://www.manutd.com/en/Partners.aspx

Plus £100,000,000+ per annum from the Premier league, (I'm just guessing that) and...

...and...

...£337.7m of debt.

Even or friends up the road would struggle to lose that much money.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You've got to be a pretty special club if you're able to carry massive sponsorship deals like Adidas, Aon and Chevrolet.
Not to mention a total of 25 global, 12 regional, 13 media and 14 financial 'partners' http://www.manutd.com/en/Partners.aspx

Plus £100,000,000+ per annum from the Premier league, (I'm just guessing that) and...

...and...

...£337.7m of debt.

Nissin Foods - Their Official Global Noodle Partner - http://www.manutd.com/en/Partners/G...nsorid={E6CE247B-5586-47EC-82F0-67500725B44C}

I'm sure Mr Barber is on the case for us.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

...and...

...£337.7m of debt.

When the Glazers took over wasn't the debt c £750m? If that's the case it's more than halved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When the Glazers took over wasn't the debt c £750m? If that's the case it's more than halved.
I'm a long way from my comfort zone but wasn't that debt somehow generated from the sale?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The Glazers borrowed £750 million to buy the Rags. Before that the club was debt free. Since then they have paid back half the debt, but also paid a further £800 million in interest to the banks, as the initial borrowing was at 14.75-16.75%.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here