Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tobi Adebayo-Rowling

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Veeeeeeery confused as to the point of this thread? :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7667902 said:
You mean passed through the youth setup, was deemed not good enough and has ended up playing in the League of Ireland?

If we had a thread for all of these players we'd never get to the serious threads on here like which flight elbows Jedinak is getting back from Thailand :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He went to school with my son. Apparently he was absolutely brilliant.

Left for Peterborough when he didn't make the grade with us. He did okay there until the manager (who later took him to Ireland) was sacked, and he was sidelined.

Lovely lad, and I hope he does well for himself. But he is not one who 'got away.'

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh, and his uncle, Dalton Adebayo, presents Up All Night on Radio 5 Live.

Interesting and relevant trivia.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Dalton interviewed him on world football phone in a few years ago, he was just released from Brighton and he said it was because he was too short.

The links with the stripey Nigels and him not getting a deal here on account of his height sounds a little similar to Ian Wrights story.
For the lad, I hope he does well, well if Sunderland get him anyway.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If you care, then there is some truth in the 'one that got away' and it can be lent to quite a few.

He had been at the club since perhaps 10 or 11 maybe, a local lad with some potential, he was a typical 'talented lad', he was always as good as anyone else Brighton could possibly recruit, he needed support, development and the other necessary skills that clubs should offer, but who really had a stake in him ?

Brighton were too busy scurrying around trying to be international, John Moreland had links in Ireland his favourite hunting ground he needed to show his worth and Tobi was quickly overlooked, not before being strung along for a couple of months on some kind of extended trial (he had been at the club for years) whilst the club ensured they got a more suited player that the academy staff could call their own, Tobi wasn't even offered scholar terms, he went to Eastbourne Borough's academy before I think ending up at Ringmer FC, then at some stage Whitehawk where Darren Freeman introduced an agent, I think it was Dax Price that got him in at Peterborough as a second year scholar and his youth team manager got promoted to first team manager before going to Ireland and taking Tobi with him.

So yes, he as many local players 'got away', lazy recruitment policy with very little nurture and development skills even ever considered, accepting that Tobi by default becomes a player that displaces others somewhere else ........ and so it goes on.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Dalton interviewed him on world football phone in a few years ago, he was just released from Brighton and he said it was because he was too short.

Never really an issue, his Dad is tall and Tobi was never considered small nor was he ever likely to be so, it might have been mentioned but the academy at this time was recruiting coaching staff and in many ways his as with many players at this time were being assessed on the hoof, their previous weekly, yearly committment nearly became irrelevant.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have seen a couple of interviews with players that were let go at a young age and then 'made it' and a lot of them say that it was being let go that gave them the drive to go on, get better and succeed.

If we had kept him in our set up he may have not actually progressed to be a player that the team are 'interested' in

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have seen a couple of interviews with players that were let go at a young age and then 'made it' and a lot of them say that it was being let go that gave them the drive to go on, get better and succeed.

If we had kept him in our set up he may have not actually progressed to be a player that the team are 'interested' in

Its true that players that go on to have some semblence of a career say everything prior helped them get to where they are today, of course to some extent that must be true, but its illogical to presume that might exonerate previous bad practice towards them or those that did it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Its true that players that go on to have some semblence of a career say everything prior helped them get to where they are today, of course to some extent that must be true, but its illogical to presume that might exonerate previous bad practice towards them or those that did it.

That's why I said if we kept him then he may not have progressed. Not that he wouldn;t have.

Also said some players not all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here