Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League 2

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just listening to H&J on TalkSport, talking about changes to FC Cup and what it entails.
Conversation lead onto the subject of PL2, where the so called' sleeping giants of football', who have slipped out of the PL, would be accomodated.
Basically a richer version of the Championship, as we know it.

My question is, in an alternate time, would the Albion be classed as a 'sleeping giant', and if so would we be able to survive in a so called PL2, given the riches that might be available?
I'd prefer it stay as it was, and we get promoted this season (under the radar), and reap the rewards :thumbsup:

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I suppose its how you define sleeping giant, is it done on history, size of fan base etc ? Also would it be a closed system to stop them slipping out of the PL2 ? is so you would have 2 separate football leagues. Also would teams in what is now L1 and L2 like Pompie (Twats) Coventry Sheffield United be invited into the PL2 at the expense of Championship teams ??

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just about the big boys looking after themselves, but in a worse version than we currently have. No thoughts for grass roots football whatsoever and would inevitably drive some clubs from L1/2 to the wall. Utter selfishness and should be opposed by anyone who truly cares for football.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just about the big boys looking after themselves, but in a worse version than we currently have. No thoughts for grass roots football whatsoever and would inevitably drive some clubs from L1/2 to the wall. Utter selfishness and should be opposed by anyone who truly cares for football.

100% agree.

Basically the exact thinking which led to the formation of the PL in the first place.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I guess the way SkySports decides it wants certain live matches, and picks and chooses as they please to change fixtures from a Saturday to either Friday / Sunday, money will talk.
The fans loose out in having to make alternate arrangements.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Really hope not. The only + point of getting relegated from the premiship is that the championship is bar far the more exciting league.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd say we come in a band of clubs below the level of giant. Teams like Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester, Derby, Forest, Southampton, Portsmouth and the Pikey's, Wolves etc etc.

A number of those clubs have far greater histories than ours, in fact they all do, from back in the day when football was fairer and we were run appallingly, but in terms of core support, attendances etc there isn't a massive amount between us. There are any number of other clubs you could throw into that pot like Boro or Sheff Utd etc etc etc but very few teams get 25k week in, week out. We do and we should lose the inferiority complex.

The days of being little old Brighton ended with Withdean, we are back to the level of support we always had but who didn't always go to games. I was at the Derby game back in the 70's, 35k with hundreds of people locked out, the fan base has always been there but now we have the facilities to back it up. Can we go back to 10 grand for a home game? Sure but only as part of a natural cycle, what we have right now is far closer to what it should always have been and mostly will be in the future IMO

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think it's time the Prem gets called the 'Super califragilisticexpialidocious Premier league'. Whilst all the other leagues are re-branded the Prem 1,2 and 3.

It's just a matter of time

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
If I understand correctly, the argument goes that The Premier League appeals to overseas TV audiences because of atmosphere, blood and thunder, each match being a genuine contest with uncertain outcomes, proper betting excitement and so on. By extension, it is the type of football being played that is important, not where it is being played. These arguments may be weak, unfounded or speculative at best but some people somewhere will be willing to take a punt.

Presumably the money men have figured out that The Championship is the 6th biggest league in Europe and only a smidgeon smaller than 4th and 5th. The fact that France & Italy have large populations who will only ever be interested in Juventus, Inter, PSG etc isn't particularly relevant here. Perception in Asia is the key. If you after new/expanded TV markets then PL2 might well be the cheapest way of doing so. Watch this space ...

Intl Attendances.png

I posted this recently on a different thread. Although this is a different context, it should help explain why PL2 might be more likely than one might think at first glance.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The Albion are founder members of the Championship. It would ruin our history if they scrapped the Championship!

I'll cancel my Sky sports, BT, LUFC TV, Chelsea TV, MUFC TV, Spurs TV and Euro-sport subscription if this happens!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here