Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1971/72

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy,

Just to let you know that Friday's edition of Seagull for the visit of Aston Villa will be focusing on the 1971/72 season when both the Albion and Villa were in the old Third Division (today's League One, you whippersnappers).

Ultimately Villa won the league with us finishing runners-up. Some of our attendances during the second half of the season defied belief. Villa's visit to the Goldstone in March '72 even attracted the BBC Match of the Day cameras. Yes, back then the media were prepared to acknowledge that football did in fact exist outside the Premier League. Sad how things have changed.

If names such as Kit Napier, Bert Murray and John Templeman mean anything to you - or if you want to brush up on your Albion history - then this is for you. Peter O'Sullivan will also be sharing his memories in our question and answer section. Feel free to share your own memories of the 1971/72 season, or of the men who featured in that side, on here.

Just to recap, to mark the impending 20th anniversary of the Goldstone's demise we are remembering stand-out seasons from our time at the old place in each edition of the programme throughout this season.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the retro pieces in Seagull.

All the best,
Spencer (Albion fan, sports writer & author)
[MENTION=23620]Spencer[/MENTION]Vignes

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
my first season,the very first game I remember was beating Hillingdon 7-1 in the Cup

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That last game against Rochdale at the Goldstone was one heck of an evening. A gate of over 34,000. We needed a draw to go up. They needed a draw to stay up. The result- 1-1. On the pitch as soon as the final whistle blew and the players appeared in the West Stand for their adoration.
Then, it was off to the Windmill pub in Upper North Street, before heading for the Old Steine to completely wreck the gardens. How was I to know I'd be looking after them a few years' later!
However, the away game at Rochdale a few weeks earlier was one of the best ever. Brighton supporters completely took over Rochdale for the day. A gate of 4,000 consisting of 3,000 Albion fans. Gates smashed open before the game, so we all got in without paying. Straight across the pitch at half-time to take their end and be at the end we'd be kicking towards, and a 2-1 win. Looking back, I was quite the football hooligan!

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Who'd have thought it Jack!!! Yeah, 34,766 was the 'official' attendance for the Rochdale home game; you can probably add two or three thousand on to that. In fact our last four home games of the season - played within the space of 14 days spanning late April/early May - attracted an aggregate official attendance of 111,037 which is just nuts when you remember how relatively basic the Goldstone was. Then again, as I've said before, we were all a lot thinner back then!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That last game against Rochdale at the Goldstone was one heck of an evening. A gate of over 34,000. We needed a draw to go up. They needed a draw to stay up. The result- 1-1. On the pitch as soon as the final whistle blew and the players appeared in the West Stand for their adoration.
Then, it was off to the Windmill pub in Upper North Street, before heading for the Old Steine to completely wreck the gardens. How was I to know I'd be looking after them a few years' later!
However, the away game at Rochdale a few weeks earlier was one of the best ever. Brighton supporters completely took over Rochdale for the day. A gate of 4,000 consisting of 3,000 Albion fans. Gates smashed open before the game, so we all got in without paying. Straight across the pitch at half-time to take their end and be at the end we'd be kicking towards, and a 2-1 win. Looking back, I was quite the football hooligan!

A barmy May evening ..3rd(?) min free kick into the south goal by JT ..crowd went mad ..they equalised but who cared ..we were up! Oh happy days

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Boxing Day 1971, some of the worst violence at the Goldstone I've seen but 30,659 in t0 watch us beat Bournemouth, great days home and away. Winning 5-3 at Shrewsbury and it was 0-0 at Half time, and as Jack Straw mentioned the away game at Rochdale was mental. Late gaols in many games, brilliant stuff. Villa had 48,000 in for the Bournemouth match where McDougal scored a diving header and Andy Lochead scored twice, you can view on You tube.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I started watching Brighton in 1966 when I moved to Sussex, but that 71/72 season was the season I actually became a fully-fledged Brighton fan. I remember that Villa game as if it were yesterday. (Well, almost!)

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Bournemouth were the unlucky ones that season, finishing behind us and Villa. 30,600 for the home match in which a certain Mr Peter O'Sullivan, probably my favourite Albion player ever, scored. 'Sully' was in the middle of a purple patch for us in which he racked up 194 consecutive appearances between 1970 and 1974. I can't think of any other player, Albion or otherwise, who has ever gone that long without missing a match.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Whilst all the 'old gits' are in this thread.

What home reserve game at the Goldstone did we have to attend to guarantee a Liverpool away cup ticket? ps.. and the attendance?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

:lol:

I've reported this post to PC Balkham for your imminent arrest :lol: :lol:

Bournemouth were the unlucky ones that season, finishing behind us and Villa. 30,600 for the home match in which a certain Mr Peter O'Sullivan, probably my favourite Albion player ever, scored. 'Sully' was in the middle of a purple patch for us in which he racked up 194 consecutive appearances between 1970 and 1974. I can't think of any other player, Albion or otherwise, who has ever gone that long without missing a match.

SOME CRACKING CROWDS THAT SEASON VILLA V B'MUFF 48,000+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjK_MWnvYE8

Boxing Day 1971, some of the worst violence at the Goldstone I've seen but 30,659 in t0 watch us beat Bournemouth, great days home and away. Winning 5-3 at Shrewsbury and it was 0-0 at Half time, and as Jack Straw mentioned the away game at Rochdale was mental. Late gaols in many games, brilliant stuff. Villa had 48,000 in for the Bournemouth match where McDougal scored a diving header and Andy Lochead scored twice, you can view on You tube.

Bournemouth in the north! Fighting in the goal net! shocking scenes:ohmy:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
First season I went to just about every home game, ended up in the West Stand seats for the final game against Rochdale thanks to comps from the Dale manager. First time I had ever sat down at a football match
Me and my brother queued for ages before the Rochdale game outside the North Stand, he was one in front of me and got in but I didn't. I whipped around to the Chicken Run and joined the queue but after 20 mins or so was told no more room in the ground. I ended up the lamppost down Goldstone Lane. Couldn't see much but the atmosphere was fantastic.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Great season. Went straight from school at the tender age of 11 with two mates for the Rochdale game. I think we had to pay 12p in new money and stood on the East. Or was it old money........ I can't remember now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here