Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogant Germans as usual nothing changes .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To be fair they are right. If every town in the world, the same size as San Marino or Gibralter, declared themselves as a country what would FIFA do then? Allow them all to enter. There should be some kind of cut off, or preliminary round.

You could easily say every team that finishes bottom of a this group stage has to go through a pre qualification round to limit their numbers for next time. Too many pointless international games are played now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To be honest there is no place for such teams in WC qualifiers, we all know its a joke and the likes of Andorra, Gib, San M should do a pre-qualifying round

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Hi. I get the sentiment but shouldn't the title be 'arrogant Thomas Muller' rather than decrying the whole nation as arrogant. Just a thought...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair they are right. If every town in the world, the same size as San Marino or Gibralter, declared themselves as a country what would FIFA do then? Allow them all to enter. There should be some kind of cut off, or preliminary round.

You could easily say every team that finishes bottom of a this group stage has to go through a pre qualification round to limit their numbers for next time. Too many pointless international games are played now.

Perhaps so, but Wales are merely a Principality, should they be kicked out too? Or do we pick and choose?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
To be honest there is no place for such teams in WC qualifiers, we all know its a joke and the likes of Andorra, Gib, San M should do a pre-qualifying round

I get that too and have a pre qualifier as per FA cup , but its wrong for them to be saying that if they have voted for the very rules in the first place

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Isn't this exactly the place for them then? They are qualifiers before the actual tournament.

We could just let all the 'big' nations straight into the tournament instead of making them qualify, however look at the Netherlands and not qualifying for the last tournament.

If we were to make them do a pre qualification tournament the players would almost constantly be playing international football, their players would suffer and the national league.

I remember when we wanted to take football to the world, give everyone the dream to play it and get to the top that they can in their national team. Is playing a match or two against a minnow really that big a deal when it is every couple of years at most?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course there should be pre-qualifiers for the likes of San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg etc. The reason why we have so many International breaks these days is because hopeless flotsam like this is accommodated in the ever-expanding World Cup qualifying groups. So now we have groups of 6 playing 10 qualifiers, when we used to have a far leaner group of 4 playing 6 qualifiers, top 2 going through.

What do the likes of San Marino get from their routine pastings around the continent ? They'll never improve, they're a waste of time for all concerned. No way should they be on the same pitch as the likes of Germany, Spain, France et-al.

This is why we have numerous qualifying rounds in the FA Cup before the big boys get involved in the 3rd Round. Teams reaching that stage have to EARN the right. Otherwise, why not just have everyone in the hat from the 1st Qualifying Round ? You could see Trinity Gainsborough rock up at Old Trafford I suppose, but what would be the point ? A nice day out for them for sure, but a totally pointless fixture. And the likes of Andorra / San Marino get it TWICE, home and away, against some of the giants of Europe.

Its a nonsense.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Given the very close historical links that exist between the 2 countries, its a surprisingly undiplomatic attack.

Had it not been for San Marino a lot more German war criminals would have been brought to justice instead of sunning themselves in the delightful environs of South America.

A shameful episode all round.

So a small nation helps smuggle wanted German criminals out of the country? That doesn't sound like "close historical links" to me. More like the opposite, a source of tension.

As for the point of this thread, I agree that it is time the minnows played pre-qualifiers. If you want to accuse Muller of being arrogant, then don't whinge about the THREE international breaks we've had before December. Personally I think he's right, it's a complete joke.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Does seem a waste of time the likes of San Marino being in the main qualifiers. I know there's an argument that it helps them raise their level but it surely would be more useful to play in matches where they can hone elements of the game like 'what to do after crossing the half-way line'.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I heard the same comments as the Germans made from commentators and summarisers at previous tournaments. I happen to disagree, because I like the lower-ranked sides being involved but to make out it is just the Germans is a fallacy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It wasn't that long ago that Iceland were being treated as a joke country and too small to have any meaningful impact

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We will need the smaller teams to make up the numbers when 27? countries become the EU team!:lolol:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
When would the pre-qualifiers actually be held? Seeing as the draw for the qualifiers was made months ago, where do you fit the winners of the pre-qualifiers in?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It wasn't that long ago that Iceland were being treated as a joke country and too small to have any meaningful impact

I'm not saying they should be exclude completely. But surely they should have their own pre-Group qualification stage so we can reduce the group numbers and make it a leaner, more competitive process. They will benefit from actually playing some winnable games with a more realistic end objective, and we will benefit from no longer having to play an additional 2 tedious turkey-shoots home and away in the qualifiers.

Of course, the reality is that the more countries FIFA/UEFA have "competing", the more bribable votes are available, and the more TV rights there are to be sold. THATS what its all about nowadays, but they'll still peddle the line that including hapless junk like Andorra and Luxembourg straight into World Cup groups is being "inclusive".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here