Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

generation snowflake

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Writer Claire Fox reported that "In November 2015, a short video went viral that showed a confrontation between a Yale faculty head, Nicholas Christakis, and a screaming, almost hysterical mob of students. The video generated such a backlash towards the students' behaviour that they were soon labelled with the disparaging moniker 'Generation Snowflake'." The situation had arisen after a request for students not to wear Halloween costumes that might offend minority groups had been responded to.

The term "snowflake generation" was one of Collins Dictionary's 2016 words of the year.

Characteristics

Generation Snowflake members "are genuinely distressed by ideas that run contrary to their worldview"; they are more likely than previous generations of students to report that they have mental health problems. A UK Higher Education Policy Institute survey of university students in 2016 "found that 76% would ban speakers who had views that offended them, while half (48%) wanted universities to be declared safe spaces where debate can only take place within strict rules." This is coupled with a strong sense of entitlement.

Fox argues that Generation Snowflake was created by over-protecting people when they were children. In the UK, Tom Bennett was recruited by the government to address behaviour in schools. He commented that Generation Snowflake children at school can be over-protected from reality, leading to problems when they progress to university and are confronted with real-world truths. They can react with intolerance towards people and things that they believe may offend someone.

The negative connotations of the term Generation Snowflake have been criticised for having been applied too widely: Bennett also commented that "It's true that our children have never had it so good, and some have never known anything but a status quo of swimming in surplus. It's true that, for some of these children, losing fast wi-fi is a crisis and being offended on the internet is a disaster. [...] But then I remember the other ones, and I reckon they all balance each other out."

Generation Snowflake characteristics have been discussed in relation to the skills required by entrepreneurs.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Writer Claire Fox reported that "In November 2015, a short video went viral that showed a confrontation between a Yale faculty head, Nicholas Christakis, and a screaming, almost hysterical mob of students. The video generated such a backlash towards the students' behaviour that they were soon labelled with the disparaging moniker 'Generation Snowflake'." The situation had arisen after a request for students not to wear Halloween costumes that might offend minority groups had been responded to.

The term "snowflake generation" was one of Collins Dictionary's 2016 words of the year.

Characteristics

Generation Snowflake members "are genuinely distressed by ideas that run contrary to their worldview"; they are more likely than previous generations of students to report that they have mental health problems. A UK Higher Education Policy Institute survey of university students in 2016 "found that 76% would ban speakers who had views that offended them, while half (48%) wanted universities to be declared safe spaces where debate can only take place within strict rules." This is coupled with a strong sense of entitlement.

Fox argues that Generation Snowflake was created by over-protecting people when they were children. In the UK, Tom Bennett was recruited by the government to address behaviour in schools. He commented that Generation Snowflake children at school can be over-protected from reality, leading to problems when they progress to university and are confronted with real-world truths. They can react with intolerance towards people and things that they believe may offend someone.

The negative connotations of the term Generation Snowflake have been criticised for having been applied too widely: Bennett also commented that "It's true that our children have never had it so good, and some have never known anything but a status quo of swimming in surplus. It's true that, for some of these children, losing fast wi-fi is a crisis and being offended on the internet is a disaster. [...] But then I remember the other ones, and I reckon they all balance each other out."

Generation Snowflake characteristics have been discussed in relation to the skills required by entrepreneurs.

BLIMEY! thanks

No idea where it came from but I quite like the expression.

It sums up the generation who have been through the education system with the "No losers" Sports days. Things don't go their way, like the Brexit Vote and Trump Victory, and as they have no concept of what losing actually feels like they cannot handle it.

Of course at this point Generation Snowflake takes to Twatter to inform they are "Literally shaking with fear/anger/frustration" rather than accepting the democratic process and getting the hell on with life.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake ?

Generation Snowflake members "are genuinely distressed by ideas that run contrary to their worldview"

Personally think it's a bit unfair as recent months have shown it spreads across many age groups.
I think the internet had been a massive negative in the last twenty years in terms of contributing and fueling the shrill outrage if something occurs that's is out of step with a person's paradigm. It is difficult not to join the baying mob.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It sums up the generation who have been through the education system with the "No losers" Sports days.

Outside of the pages of the Daily Mail, has anyone ever actually witnessed such a thing? We used to hear a lot about these sports days - normally in some angry article about a left-wing local authority, like Lambeth or somewhere, but its basically bullshit, isn't it? A couple of isolated incidents, in schools led by misguided individuals - then extrapolated by foaming at the mouth crappy editorials, into a national malaise, that never existed.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

It sums up the generation who have been through the education system with the "No losers" Sports days. Things don't go their way, like the Brexit Vote and Trump Victory, and as they have no concept of what losing actually feels like they cannot handle it.

Of course at this point Generation Snowflake takes to Twatter to inform they are "Literally shaking with fear/anger/frustration" rather than accepting the democratic process and getting the hell on with life.

I remember somebody acting like that on here over a newspaper column

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Outside of the pages of the Daily Mail, has anyone ever actually witnessed such a thing? We used to hear a lot about these sports days - normally in some angry article about a left-wing local authority, like Lambeth or somewhere, but its basically bullshit, isn't it? A couple of isolated incidents, in schools led by misguided individuals - then extrapolated by foaming at the mouth crappy editorials, into a national malaise, that never existed.
Certainly have no loser sports days in south London. My kids sports day is a horrible soppy affair and If anything it frustrates the kids as much as anything else as they want to compete properly.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

That's true. As we know all people before my generation accepted every political decision without argument. Hence there were never any wars or strikes until 2012.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No, I've experienced it having worked in schools over the last twenty or so years in Liverpool and here in Sussex. Thankfully, the idea of a sports day where there are no winners or losers is dying a death.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Surely it comes form the comparison to a snowflake and that each one is delicate and unique and beautiful and must be handled with extreme care, marvelled at as it flutters through life feeling adored?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, I've experienced it having worked in schools over the last twenty or so years in Liverpool and here in Sussex. Thankfully, the idea of a sports day where there are no winners or losers is dying a death.

Good. Still think the media massively overplayed that story though.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
'Non-competitive' school sports days were quite the thing in the West Midlands in the early noughties,but seem to have vanished now.Think the Olympics killed it off.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good. Still think the media massively overplayed that story though.

Certainly there were/ are primary schools in Brighton that have no loser sports days. Shouldn't be a problem too much longer though as they have flogged off all the playing fields to build subterranean megacities for Islamic Martians and turned the five-a-side court into a shariah law discotheque for upset Mexicans.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Sshhh don't tell them, they can't handle the truth

To be fair, when I see middle class white kids protesting against airport expansion under the banner of 'black lives matter' I do die a little inside.

But that doesn't mean climate change and racism are not genuine problems or there are not are legitimate reasons to speak up and take action.

'The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice' (Martin Luther King)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surely it comes form the comparison to a snowflake and that each one is delicate and unique and beautiful and must be handled with extreme care, marvelled at as it flutters through life feeling adored?

And then melts!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Certainly there were/ are primary schools in Brighton that have no loser sports days. Shouldn't be a problem too much longer though as they have flogged off all the playing fields to build subterranean megacities for Islamic Martians and turned the five-a-side court into a shariah law discotheque for upset Mexicans.

Thought you didn't read the Mail,or was it in the Arsegas?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My kids' school seem totally confused. They have non-competitive sports day but also a school football and netball team. They have a 'prizes for everyone' mentality about educational and behaviour awards and then moan when the kids don't do their homework. They drill for tests while complaining about the necessity of tests. Last year, after a bad OFSTED about how they were letting down the older and brighter kids they did special clubs to extend high achieving kids in English and Maths and ran a coding club, Now that OFSTED have been back in and upgraded them they're back to teaching the Juniors Maketon. I think it's just bad leadership rather than a left wing conspiracy though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here