Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate and the England job

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He wants to know in the next couple of weeks where he stands. To be fair, the poisoned chalice that is the England manager seems to me to be a job best suited for him. No-one is mug enough to take it on except Southgate, I kind of commend him for that. I have become so disenfranchised with the national side I didn't even watch the Scotland game. I still haven't seen the highlights, if there were any. Southgate (Sussex born) for the job?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Doesn't matter who gets it as the tactics will always be the same and there's never a togetherness with England players...just big egos who're only interested in playing the domestic game.
Nothing ever changes sadly as most supporters have lost interest in the national side....If international football here was scrapped I don't think many would be to fussed.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
He will get the job - win the WC qualifying group - all very unremarkable - England will flop as usual in Russia - Sacked / Resigns - Manager cycle starts again

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He is perfect for the England team we've had and now have got.

He's the worst appointment for the England team we all want.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It was interesting over the weekend to see the England Rugby team and the England Cricket team - they have transformed over the last 12 months, and progressed to the next stage. This has been due to the new managers we have with those teams, the managers are world class, proven winners with the experience and attitude to win. Then you look at the football team and Southgate. What is he going to change to make us better, to make us contenders to win a tournament? Is Southagte the winner England needs, i don't think so.

For me Southagte was very lucky to be in charge of the U21's, let alone the senior squad. The whole set up is wrong. If you had to pick a manager now for the U21's or even a short list of 10 contenders, where on the list would Aidy Boothroyd be? Currently in charge of the U20's and caretaker manager of the U21's. I mean Aidy ****ing Boothroyd. The whole set up is a mess and needs looking at, otherwise it will be the same, do well in qualifiers and fail when in comes to the actually tournaments.

We need a change and Southgate and Boothroyd are not the people to do it. Lets wait for Wenger or get Jurgen Klinsmann, someone with new ideas and someone who has a winning mentality.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He will get the job - win the WC qualifying group - all very unremarkable - England will flop as usual in Russia - Sacked / Resigns - Manager cycle starts again

Yep , spot on , except you missed out the "we can win this" newspaper interviews with players.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ok new question, who really cares about the England team any more? I don't, just a summer distraction every two years.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've got nothing against Southgate whatsoever, he seems a decent, thoughtful sort.

However, after the Scotland game, Adam Lallana was interviewed and asked 'What has Gareth Southgate brought to the group?' And he responded 'Stability.' We need a hell of a lot more than that.

:facepalm:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
England need a Manager who will not allow the England team and squad to be selected by the Press and until they do that then they will continue to fail against the better sides. England has some great players to choose from but they go for teams of individuals that are hyped up by the Press rather than seek a cohesive unit.

The way that Steve Bruce has virtually told the Press what they can do with their self sanctimonious view on Gabby Agbonlahor tends to suggest he wouldn't be swayed by the Press , so for that reason I think that the English FA should move for Bruce before he gets bedded in at Villa.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I do, its England, I remember Euro 96 fondly, those 2 weeks were brilliant and I would like them back again at some point.

But if you look at Rugby Union and Cricket it is all about the national side. As much as I like both sports I haven't a scooby what club they play for. Football seems to be different, it is a distraction to these players, it seems, not an honour.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here