Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Beirne

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember the appointment but his employment passed me by. What did he do at the Albion?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember the appointment but his employment passed me by. What did he do at the Albion?

I think that was the issue.

I remember him on the Roar when he first started and I followed (and still do) him on Twitter. He's engaging, intelligent and slightly ironically sarcastic in the way that many Canadians can be but not many Americans. I'd bet he has a great collection of books and music. You'd like.him. But I think his job was essentially selling tickets, just at the point that Burke and Hyypia were making us about as attractive as waking up to cat puke.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

He'd never say it, but I suspect he may think he was mis-sold a job here and was the frustrated at just how little he was able to influence.

Top, top bloke.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He'd never say it, but I suspect he'd say he was mis-sold a job here and was the frustrated at just how little he was able to influence.

Top, top bloke.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was frustrated. He was perfectly qualified to do Paul Barber's job (and, I suspect, may have been brought in with the idea that Barber may have been tempted elsewhere at the back of the club's mind).

This new job does mean he can be with his family again who, from what I could gather on Twitter, were still based in Canada while he was here.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Having met him a couple of times I can also attest to Paul being a top bloke. He was very interested in what fans thought of the club and things that could be done to improve the fan experience at the club. I was sad that he left, but we were pony at the time so I can imagine it was difficult to get anything done then. I wish him all the best for the future.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Had a couple of "Twitter chats", which was nice from someone at the club to take the time to engage, especially at it was him that instigated it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Marketing / general 'fan experience' stuff.

A bit strange all round really - some of what seemed his remit fell within Barber's scope, and a lot more of it was covered by Tom Gorringe. :shrug:

Odd one. Seems like he's now got a good gig appropriate for his skill set in Canada though.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This new job does mean he can be with his family again who, from what I could gather on Twitter, were still based in Canada while he was here.

No, his family came over for a while. As well as meeting him on the Roar, he only lived around the corner from me, so I saw him a few times. I met his daughter - lovely lass. Paul himself is a top fella.

His family came over not long before he left the Albion, so he used his house in Brighton as a base to take the opportunity to take his family around Europe. He loved Brighton, and he loved meeting the people in the city. If he was going to work in England, he said, he'd only want to do it in Brighton. But options were limited, obviously.

They all went back to Canada a few months ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here