Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV - 4K or just a really good HD one?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Hi, my old HD ready tv is dead, so I'm having to use a really old one at the mo.
I've got £500 and was thinking about upgrading to a 4K 43inch Sony that Tesco are knocking out at £499.

Should I bother with 4K or just get a better full HD one and save some cash? Or do I need to put more cash towards it? This is the Tesco one I've seen...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sony-br...-with-freeview-hd/746-0418.prd?skuId=746-0418

Thanks, HS

Edit*** or wait for Balck Friday?!***

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I got a new TV last week and I noticed watching Planet Earth II last night on my HDR 4K LG gives a better quality than my old Samsung 4k TV did. I don't think there are any standards, just a load of marketing bollox as from what I can tell, BBC don't broadcast and a HD TV areal doesn't receive a 4k signal. I think it's the way the TV can upscale the HD image that makes the difference.

Netflix and Amazon 4k is amazing but you pay for it. I get mine through a 100Mbps fibre internet line, think you need minimum of 20Mbps for 4k.

Probably not very helpful.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've got a 55" LG 4K TV and it's pretty decent. But the only 4k content available to me is Netflix (with the more expensive plan) and certain YouTube videos.

Unless you're going to buy a PS4 Pro, subscribe to Sky's 4k sports package I would say don't bother with 4k. It's not hugely important.

The difference between 4k and 1080 on a 42" screen is going to be marginal in any case. If I were you, I'd buy a decent quality 1080 screen instead. You'll probably get more for your money.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Are people that shortsighted, that they think you shouldn't go for 4k now due to the lack of / expense of content CURRENTLY available?

You know he will likely have it for c5 years right?

No idea why you wouldn't want to future proof yourself and go 4k now. Bit like going back 5 years and deciding not to get an HD TV.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have 4k and a Samsung and it cost me about £599 last year, and 48". I am sure you can get better than 41" for your money.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I think that being able to connect your telly to your wi-fi is an important factor to consider now-a-days when buying one.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BBC Iplayer will be launching a 4K stream shortly. Possibly before Christmas, if not then early next year. (Selected programmes..including most likely Planet Earth 2)

Its got a 4* rating from What Hi-fi http://www.whathifi.com/sony/kd-43x8305c/review

also a video review by AVForums here

[yt]8IzBoMXGtaA[/yt]

also currently available at Amazon for £499 with free delivery available

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I bought a Sony Bravia 3D HDTV when it first came out, yes the picture quality was good but as yet there aren't many movies or programmes filmed in this standard. The same must be said for UHD, yes the picture quality is good but until programmes are made/filmed in UHD you are never going to really experience the true capability of the TV. Wish I hadn't bothered to be honest, it looked great at the time but in hindsight was just a waste of money.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I bought a Sony Bravia 3D HDTV when it first came out, yes the picture quality was good but as yet there aren't many movies or programmes filmed in this standard. The same must be said for UHD, yes the picture quality is good but until programmes are made/filmed in UHD you are never going to really experience the true capability of the TV. Wish I hadn't bothered to be honest, it looked great at the time but in hindsight was just a waste of money.

What's the difference between UHD and 4K? Can't be much? Now I think of it I think mine may be UHD.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Are people that shortsighted, that they think you shouldn't go for 4k now due to the lack of / expense of content CURRENTLY available?

You know he will likely have it for c5 years right?

No idea why you wouldn't want to future proof yourself and go 4k now. Bit like going back 5 years and deciding not to get an HD TV.

It's nothing to do with being short-sighted. If your budget is around £500 and you're looking for a 42" panel, I'd say it's reasonable to look at really good 1080 panels. You could get a better picture quality for most of the content you consume rather than going 4k for the 10% of content you might consume as it becomes more mainstream.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because you can't see the difference between 4k and full HD (unless you're really close to a massive screen).

Bit like going back 5 years and deciding not to get an HD TV.
It's nothing at all like that, as an HD picture looks much better than an SD picture at standard sizes and viewing distances.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What's the difference between UHD and 4K? Can't be much? Now I think of it I think mine may be UHD.

All consumer '4K' TV's are UHD 3840 pixels wide.

True 4K is 4096 pixels wide.

Virtually indistinguishable to the average eye so some manufacturers just list them as 4K anyway.

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's nothing to do with being short-sighted. If your budget is around £500 and you're looking for a 42" panel, I'd say it's reasonable to look at really good 1080 panels. You could get a better picture quality for most of the content you consume rather than going 4k for the 10% of content you might consume as it becomes more mainstream.

A 4k TV will also be the able to handle 1080 inputs very well, they have to, as currently not too much 4k.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Because you can't see the difference between 4k and full HD (unless you're really close to a massive screen).

It's nothing at all like that, as an HD picture looks much better than an SD picture at standard sizes and viewing distances.

It's all subjective. Like how some people say they cant tell the difference between SD & HD. Obviously its more noticeable on certain programs (sports / nature etc). Every 4k picture I've seen I think is noticeably different and cant see the benefit of not investing in the latest tech available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here