Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump/Farrage/NATO

larus

Strange how things work out.

Trump is going to be the "Leader Of The Free World", and the U.K. Government/opposition have been slagging him off. Farage, as interim/Ex leader of UKIP supported Trump in his campaign, now visits him and appears to be gaining celebrity status over in the US.

This, coupled with the fact that Trump is calling out the EU countries who are falling short in their commitment to spend a certain % of GDP on defence and his 'threat' to abandon NATO, all makes for interesting times.

Now, Farage is no diplomat, but I think the UK government would be foolish not to utilise the obvious connection between him and Trump, especially as BREXIT continues and we're looking for trade deals. I realise that many will find this unpalatable, but the government should be looking after the interests of the country, not their own egos. Deal with the reality, not what they would like things to be.

Just as we'd thought Farage would slip away from politics (and I'm sure that most would have been overjoyed with that), he now has strong links to the US President (to be) so may end up more involved.

2016 has sure been an intersting year.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
I'd have some sympathy with the USA President Elect moaning about countries not paying their NATO dues, if the USA had EVER paid their UN dues. So far they haven't paid anything.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Since when has Government policy been based on whether someone is matey with POTUS.

Also given that Trump has come out that he is against free trade with the desire to withdraw America from the current deals in place with Mexico and Canada and is looking to impose high tariffs on goods from certain countries (China, etc) we may not be able to obtain a free trade deal with America anyway.

Farage is not part of the Government, and I can't see the Government looking to use a non Tory in any roll in future discussions on trade deals with America or any other country.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I suggested (tongue in cheek) Farage should be our new US Ambassador a few days ago ...

113550697_Farage_Trump-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

... they clearly have a special relationship so perhaps not the worst idea to give it a go. Sadly HMG have already poo pooed the idea.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Strange how things work out.

Trump is going to be the "Leader Of The Free World", and the U.K. Government/opposition have been slagging him off. Farage, as interim/Ex leader of UKIP supported Trump in his campaign, now visits him and appears to be gaining celebrity status over in the US.

This, coupled with the fact that Trump is calling out the EU countries who are falling short in their commitment to spend a certain % of GDP on defence and his 'threat' to abandon NATO, all makes for interesting times.

Now, Farage is no diplomat, but I think the UK government would be foolish not to utilise the obvious connection between him and Trump, especially as BREXIT continues and we're looking for trade deals. I realise that many will find this unpalatable, but the government should be looking after the interests of the country, not their own egos. Deal with the reality, not what they would like things to be.

Just as we'd thought Farage would slip away from politics (and I'm sure that most would have been overjoyed with that), he now has strong links to the US President (to be) so may end up more involved.

2016 has sure been an intersting year.

I agree - and as crazy as it sounds and contrary to what that dick-head of a Sir "I'm up my own f*****g arse" said on Andrew Marr
show about Farage - it would be foolish to alienate anyone.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I suggested (tongue in cheek) Farage should be our new US Ambassador a few days ago ...

113550697_Farage_Trump-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

... they clearly have a special relationship so perhaps not the worst idea to give it a go. Sadly HMG have already poo pooed the idea.

_87770048_laurelandhardy.jpg

Looking at that image reminded me of these two clowns :)

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
They are great friends. Farage was even at some of Trump's rallies in the run up to the US election.

Heard a few rumors Trump maybe offering Farage a role in his cabinet.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They are great friends. Farage was even at some of Trump's rallies in the run up to the US election.

Heard a few rumors Trump maybe offering Farage a role in his cabinet.

Wouldn't happen. The important thing here is that Trump is at the behest of Pence and the hawks in Washington. Hence some of the climbdowns we see already.

He won't be as dangerous as some perceive. I honestly believe that is why his vote held up. I actually think that Pence is more of a worry, not internationally, but with his regressive social attitudes. Between them we have a Reagan style administration with a worrying edge that may not come to fruition.

They've made their decision. It wouldn't have been mine, but it's not mine to make.

Yoda

English & European
I'd be more concerned with having the NF talk DT into staying with NATO than trade deals.

If he pulls the US out, it's almost like saying to Putin "Here, have what ever parts of Europe you want".

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I actually think that Pence is more of a worry, not internationally, but with his regressive social attitudes.

When you read what Pence thinks about gay marriage and abortion knowing the year is 2016 he is a very scary man indeed.

Trump put him on his ticket for the evangelical vote and he got it -- 86% of the evangelical vote went to Trump.

Politics and religion is just a receipe for disaster.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
When you read what Pence thinks about gay marriage and abortion knowing the year is 2016 he is a very scary man indeed.

Trump put him on his ticket for the evangelical vote and he got it -- 86% of the evangelical vote went to Trump.

Politics and religion is just a receipe for disaster.

I got thrown out of the pub for saying that.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
At my age I seem to see shadows everywhere, but is anyone else pooing themselves at the prospect of the next few years?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
SO Farage, the man who has campaigned for years to "free" us from the "tyranny" of "un-elected" bureaucrats in Brussels would become an un-elected official with more power than anyone in Brussels ever had.

Great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here