Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was good to see a Chelsea Pensioner who has the VC being pushed in his wheelchair by a serving soldier who also has the VC,I. am sure that is what the commentator said.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Zec-cartoon.jpg

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I went to the Seaford War Memorial along with hundreds of other folk for the 2 minute silence and remembrance service. At the end the Silver Band played Sussex By The Sea and it sounded so good played by a live band.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I went to the Seaford War Memorial along with hundreds of other folk for the 2 minute silence and remembrance service. At the end the Silver Band played Sussex By The Sea and it sounded so good played by a live band.

Yes, at the end of the ceremony here in Hastings, we had the same, so, to the embarrassment of the others, I started singing "we're going up and we will win the cup." Touching ceremony to see how much it meant to so many folk and great to see so many young people involved with cadets etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was good to see a Chelsea Pensioner who has the VC being pushed in his wheelchair by a serving soldier who also has the VC,I. am sure that is what the commentator said.

Yes, they were interviewed together on BBC News yesterday. Both incredibly humble.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Very happy to say that St.Mary's Storrington Service this afternoon was standing room only, sad in a way to see several young 'veterans' wearing medals, obviously Boys who have served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Kohima Epitaph was given by a Korean War veteran - over the last 15 years of attending the Service at Storrington I have seen us lose almost all of our WW2 contingent including my Father In Law (Signaller with the Guards Armoured Division 1944-45) but it still has resonance:

When You Go Home, Tell Them of Us and Say For Your Tomorrow, We gave Our Today...

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Very happy to say that St.Mary's Storrington Service this afternoon was standing room only, sad in a way to see several young 'veterans' wearing medals, obviously Boys who have served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Kohima Epitaph was given by a Korean War veteran - over the last 15 years of attending the Service at Storrington I have seen us lose almost all of our WW2 contingent including my Father In Law (Signaller with the Guards Armoured Division 1944-45) but it still has resonance:

When You Go Home, Tell Them of Us and Say For Your Tomorrow, We gave Our Today...

Hats off to your father In law for his service in 6th guards armoured , what regiment was he In ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Johnson Beharry, the most recent recipient of the VC. His is a remarkable story of selfless heroism. Twice he risked his life to rescue colleagues and twice he decided in a mere moment of thought, that one life sacrificed ( i.e his own ) was worth it to save a number of men. He suffered terrible, life-threatening injuries but his will pulled him through.
Two men, ( I believe the other was Bill Speake, a Korean War veteran ) seperated by age but unified by acts of bravery that could never be planned. Two men who gave no thought to personal safety, only to the welfare of colleagues.
On a moving day, this was the moment that I found the most moving.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hats off to your father In law for his service in 6th guards armoured , what regiment was he In ?

Really sorry to say I don't know exactly who he was attached to.

Like many of his Generation he really didn't want to talk about it and I never pushed it.

I know he landed at Normandy on D-Day Plus 2 and went through Europe all the way to Berlin and stayed there to early 1946

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The people I dislike are those like a chap who was a customer of ours in Guildford who was chairman or held a senior position in the local legion and wore loads of medals and continually spoke of his exploits in the war but when he died it came out that he was 14 when the war finished so would have been about 8 when it started so was never in the services.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Attended the Swindon service this morning, hundreds of people there and nice to see guys from the RAF I have not seen for years....even had a young boy asking what my medals were for, very humbling.

Gave Eric a lift home tonight after drinking on the Tattershall Castle, attending the veterans at the Cenotaph :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Johnson Beharry, the most recent recipient of the VC. His is a remarkable story of selfless heroism. Twice he risked his life to rescue colleagues and twice he decided in a mere moment of thought, that one life sacrificed ( i.e his own ) was worth it to save a number of men. He suffered terrible, life-threatening injuries but his will pulled him through.
Two men, ( I believe the other was Bill Speake, a Korean War veteran ) seperated by age but unified by acts of bravery that could never be planned. Two men who gave no thought to personal safety, only to the welfare of colleagues.
On a moving day, this was the moment that I found the most moving.

When he had pushed the Chelsea Pensioner past the Cenotaph in the wheelchair, he made his way back amongst the veterans join his colleagues. Every veteran waiting, applauded him as he passed by.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's easy to get ambivalent about all this and it wasn't until I started doing family research on Ancestry that I discovered that my great grandfather died at Passendalle in October 1917. Until then, noone remaining in the family knew anything about him. Researching his life and death 100 years on has been really moving and next year I am hoping to visit his grave at Poperinge for the anniversary. Never forget.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I have a Great-Uncle who died in Normandy in 1944. As I wrote in the book at his cemetery down there the last time I visited it, I never knew him, but I'll never forget him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here