Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we cheats?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We have yet to break FFP so NO....but this season we've obviously upped our wage bill big time as we don't spend much on transfer fees.Its clear we do have a lot of players on very good wages that are nowhere near the first team at the moment and hopefully we can ship some out in Jan.....If we fail this season we may have to go back to the drawing board and rebuild but there is many many clubs who spend far more than us.

It's only cheating if you break the rules!!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have yet to break FFP so NO....but this season we've obviously upped our wage bill big time as we don't spend much on transfer fees.Its clear we do have a lot of players on very good wages that are nowhere near the first team at the moment and hopefully we can ship some out in Jan.....If we fail this season we may have to go back to the drawing board and rebuild but there is many many clubs who spend far more than us.

So, on top of our past deficits, we now have a brand spanking new 20 million one, are we keeping within FFP? I don't think so.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

This! We tried very hard to stay in FFP parameters for a couple of seasons and watched others ignore it. Only a few got punished (Forest for sure but can't think of who else) but we saw QPR get away with it. Are we in breach under the new limits ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So the two 'who cares' in the above posts means we will hear the last of the 'cheats' that bought their way to the Prem?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
This! We tried very hard to stay in FFP parameters for a couple of seasons and watched others ignore it. Only a few got punished (Forest for sure but can't think of who else) but we saw QPR get away with it. Are we in breach under the new limits ?

Bournemouth were fined £7m last year
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/03/bournemouth-fined-last-season-ffp

QPR , some might argue, have "got away with it" given the delay but their FFP case is still not resolved.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Aren't the losses something like £39m over three years? We're probably still within the limits at the moment.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I assume whatever our losses are we aim to have a very small loss in our first premier season? to off set .... ensuring we stay compliant? the new rules have started this season for 3 seasons is my understanding.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
My understanding is that from this season the FFP limit is £39m on a rolling three year basis. So no, we're not cheats but will need to cash in our high value players if we don't go up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
£39 million over 3 years.

When did the three years start and I believe we lost £10 mill the season before which would equal £30 mill in two years. And I believe we lost £10 mill the years before. I don't know when FFP starts or finishes, but the fact we are gambling hugely surely means we are breaking FFP?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Yes, but not to £20 mill.

I thought the loss allowance was £13m pa from the 15/16 accounting period onwards but with a three year accumulated loss allowance of £39m. There are also elements of expenditure that are allowable such as youth and stadium development. No doubt, when the accounts are published, they will show yet again the significance and reliance on TB's funding.

Other teams that have been penalised recently are forest, Leeds and Blackburn. If you look at where Forest and Blackburn are this season you could argue that the penalties are having an impact. In addition, Bournemouth were fined over £7m for their financial breach. That's quite a hit to take even though they can afford it thanks to the ridiculous sums of TV money awash in the PL.

Does anyone know what's the latest on the legal challenge of FFP by QPR. If they are unsuccessful they face a possible £58m fine, although I find it hard to believe the FL will want to see a club punished to point of insolvency.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So basically we have spent half this season, or actually last season that £20 mill was spent, we won't know what has been spent this season until this time next year.

I believe so,that said we can sell players or get some investment or win promotion to counter the effect...with regards to the original question - Are we cheats? I would say that we are bending the rules at worst.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So basically we have spent half this season, or actually last season that £20 mill was spent, we won't know what has been spent this season until this time next year.
Yes our losses this season will be £20m, the allowable limit is £39m over three seasons. We're within the boundaries but will need to cut back if we don't make it this time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here