Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Club Nicknames

el punal

Just found this little gem. Apparently, Hayes and Yeading United are called the Mushrooms, because the board keep the supporters in the dark. :yawn:

I know, it's Friday and there's no meaningful match on this weekend and I'm bored. Anyway, anyone else got a funny or unusual nickname story?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
would like to know which club has changed its nickname the most , we must be up there , without looking ,anybody know which club were called The Rakers , had this in a quiz night a few weeks back nobody in the room got it right .

el punal

would like to know which club has changed its nickname the most , we must be up there , without looking ,anybody know which club were called The Rakers , had this in a quiz night a few weeks back nobody in the room got it right .

A bit of guess here, but rakers shortened from moonrakers, a description for smugglers. This term, I believe, applied to those naughty boys in Dorset. So my choice would be Weymouth.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
New Brighton AFC in Wallasey?

I remember them being on Rake Lane. I travel to Liverpool, although bit rarely, to the pay department of our company in Wallasey.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

What were you doing there, working the scoreboard?punk:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hanwell Town FC in Middlesex are called the Geordies.
The club was formed in 1920 by a group of natives of Newcastle-upon-Tyne working in the area, who adopted the black and white stripes of Newcastle United as their colours. They played in the London League during the 1920s but dropped down to more local leagues after World War II.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanwell_Town_F.C.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I've always thought, are there any other teams who are able to chant their nickname at the said bird/animal/etc entering their stadium during a match whenever it chooses?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here