Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Commentator?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Of today's commentators I really like that Geordie bloke on the radio, I don't know his name though.
Martyn Lewis on Sky has always been very good.
Alan Green, all ITV and Motty can all do one as far as I am concerned.
And while I am here John (know all c**t) Inverdale irritates me beyond belief.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Who is your favourite football commentator (television or radio)?

Mine is the late Hugh Johns. Back in the days when we in the south, on Sunday afternoons, got The Big Match (or, occasionally, Southern Soccer with David Bobbin), and ITV was regionalised, Hugh Johns was the commentator for ATV, so he covered football in the Midlands. With his infectious enthusiasm for the game, he made the dullest game seem exciting.

Used to say the score as '2 - nothing' or whatever when the goal went it. Good he was. Gerald Sinstadt, whatever happened to him? :moo:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Another vote for Hugh Johns.
Cannot stand the screeching tones of Jonathan Pearce

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cannot stand Alan Green. Pretty much every single game he spends time moaning about people being late back to their seats at half time. Does he not realize that they have to queue for their refreshments whereas I suspect Mr AG gets his readily available in the press area!

Alan Green really gets on my tits. I had the pleasure of a train journey back from London to Wilmslow about a year ago with Robbie Savage, who was very chatty. He described Green as a short arsedmoney obsessed clueless **** with a chip on his shoulder.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Of today's commentators I really like that Geordie bloke on the radio, I don't know his name though.
Martyn Lewis on Sky has always been very good.
Alan Green, all ITV and Motty can all do one as far as I am concerned.
And while I am here John (know all c**t) Inverdale irritates me beyond belief.
Chris Waddle?!

He's mental

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Davies and Motson the Voices of my Youth!

On reflection I do wonder why it is that Cricket is blessed with so many fine commentators compared to Football?

Richie Benaud, Tony Cozier and Brian Johnson also the Voices of my Youth, sadly all gone... :(

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No mention of Kenneth Wolsteholme and on the radio who was the Swindon supporter who did the commentaries at Withdean and got sacked or moved same time as Harty

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Cannot stand Alan Green. Pretty much every single game he spends time moaning about people being late back to their seats at half time. Does he not realize that they have to queue for their refreshments whereas I suspect Mr AG gets his readily available in the press area!

I'm with you on this.. just too sarcastic with his comments, especially on the topic of the modern-day footballer..

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Barry Davies.

Was also fond of some Peter Brackley on Football Italia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdsYI5IF5QU

Peter Brackley, easily my favourite, harking back to the days of radio Brighton going over to the match live for update reports, in the old third division, great times. Used to spend Saturday away games at any local park playing footy with my brothers then rush to the transistor radio for said reports. Those were the days.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For me Brian Moore was the worst by a country mile. He could give a World Cup Final the sense of occasion of a playground kickabout. I also remember him trying to introduce flashy terms into his commentary like 'name take' for a booking (I think Jimmy Hill must've had a word in his ear) His screaming when a goal was scored got right up my nose too

Are you sure? That sounds more like Hugh Johns to me. I spent my university years in the Central TV area and got fed up to the back teeth with his constant made-up jargon ('Corner-kick situation right side Villa') and it was a great pleasure to be back in Big Match country. As for sense of occasion ...

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Davies and Motson the Voices of my Youth!

On reflection I do wonder why it is that Cricket is blessed with so many fine commentators compared to Football?

Richie Benaud, Tony Cozier and Brian Johnson also the Voices of my Youth, sadly all gone... :(

Not forgetting the wonderful John Arlott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here