Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Commentator?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Who is your favourite football commentator (television or radio)?

Mine is the late Hugh Johns. Back in the days when we in the south, on Sunday afternoons, got The Big Match (or, occasionally, Southern Soccer with David Bobbin), and ITV was regionalised, Hugh Johns was the commentator for ATV, so he covered football in the Midlands. With his infectious enthusiasm for the game, he made the dullest game seem exciting.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend combination

:jester:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Brian Moore or John Motson, like Al Green on the radio

theboybilly

For me Brian Moore was the worst by a country mile. He could give a World Cup Final the sense of occasion of a playground kickabout. I also remember him trying to introduce flashy terms into his commentary like 'name take' for a booking (I think Jimmy Hill must've had a word in his ear) His screaming when a goal was scored got right up my nose too

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Barry Davies is my favourite of all time.

Of the current selection, I quite like Jon Champion.

Never been a huge fan of Motty, although he's still better than most. He spends far too much time trying to wow us with his stats. I often get the impression he's just waiting for a particular event to happen so he can give us a stat on it. In recent years he's really started to sound like a confused old man too.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
YOUR MUM*

*Well, no-one else had said it yet... :lol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
John Motson and Peter Jones in the 80s. Until Motson became a cliche of himself.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Cannot stand Alan Green. Pretty much every single game he spends time moaning about people being late back to their seats at half time. Does he not realize that they have to queue for their refreshments whereas I suspect Mr AG gets his readily available in the press area!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here