Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common sayings people get wrong

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
For years my wife has been saying "it's a blessing in the skies" rather than "it's a blessing in disguise". To be fair this one kind of makes sense and English isn't her first language, however I also caught her out saying "Bobs your ankles" rather than "Bob's your uncle".

A couple of other ones I've heard from a mate who has a bit of a reputation for mangling his words:

"Two stones with one blow"
"Looking for a needle in a hedge"

Over to you NSC

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of my favourite expressions is making a "cawl mwch" of something ie making a complete mess-up of something (it literally means pig's broth). I use it a couple of times a week and Mrs G has picked up on this and has started using it, unfortunately she hasn't got it quite right and says "cow's muck". I haven't the heart to tell her she's got it wrong

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
My sister, who always pounces on any opportunity to belittle people when they commit written or spoken grammatical errors once wrote me an indignant letter which contained the phrase "power for the course". Of course I didn't miss the opportunity to give her a well deserved taste of her own medicine.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No pain no gain - up until very recently I thought it was 'no pain no game'!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
While I'm not sure its 100% accurate to this thread, the American habit of saying "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" annoys me more than it should do.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
While I'm not sure its 100% accurate to this thread, the American habit of saying "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" annoys me more than it should do.

Word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here