Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton & Dunk up for Manager and Player of the month respectively for October

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Would have thought hoots has a good chance of landing the award.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Only spent what he's sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh come on...He has spent a fortune, Geordies will try and tell you they have spent nothing! No one else can get close to them, maybe Villa but if any other club had that spending power, they would be top! It's not an achievement in my eyes.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Oh come on...He has spent a fortune, Geordies will try and tell you they have spent nothing! No one else can get close to them, maybe Villa but if any other club had that spending power, they would be top! It's not an achievement in my eyes.

You're clearly out the loop.

They sold players for a total of £85m in the summer. Just sissoko, wjn, Townsend sold for £68m.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
You're clearly out the loop.

They sold players for a total of £85m in the summer. Just sissoko, wjn, Townsend sold for £68m.

So they have spent nothing? Ok, the man is working miracles, he deserves it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Did Villa spend any less? There can't be much in it.

The key difference is that despite being utterly woeful, Newcastle had a load of family silver that others still valued, and they were able to punt it out to more than offset their spending spree.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Did Villa spend any less? There can't be much in it.

The key difference is that despite being utterly woeful, Newcastle had a load of family silver that others still valued, and they were able to punt it out to more than offset their spending spree.

My point is that ANY team in this league that has that spending power SHOULD be top....Is it that much of an achievement?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My point is that ANY team in this league that has that spending power SHOULD be top....Is it that much of an achievement?

Plenty of clubs have thrown money at the "getting out of the Championship" problem and come unstuck. Money helps, of course, but it needs to be spent wisely and then someone is required to mesh it all together.

I'm not saying Rafa should win it, more that I feel he would given it generally goes to the manager of the team with the best record in the month under scrutiny. That Rafa has not won it yet this season helps too.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Nobody is saying that Newcastle have an unfair advantage, it's the nature of the beast, they had a lot of high value assets which they sold to strengthen and build a squad appropriate for smashing their way out of this division. But the point is, with the resources available to them (fairly gained) then they should be right at the sharp end.

Squad cost versus points gained would be an interesting table, as it would show where the manager and tactics are making the difference. Cost is the better indicator than value (since value is subjective unless offers had been rejected), and cost shows where astute transfers have been made.

Obviously that's all quite moot, but based on the little that is known, it's clear Newcastle are doing exactly what you'd expect, with the resources they have. And Villa are underperforming.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Presumably if we'd sold Dunk, Knockaert and Stephens in the summer for big money and then used those funds to reinvest on new players, we'd have been buying our way to promotion as well then?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Presumably if we'd sold Dunk, Knockaert and Stephens in the summer for big money and then used those funds to reinvest on new players, we'd have been buying our way to promotion as well then?

I presume we wouldnt be paying anywhere near the wages that they are....For Ritchie to leave Bournemouth and sign for them tells you a lot...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here