Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tram derailed in Croydon

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I saw that earlier and wondered how that can even happen ?!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I saw that earlier and wondered how that can even happen ?!

Very sad news. I used to take the tram from East Croydon to Beckenham every day on my last contract. Most of the line is flat, but just after Sandilands tram stop the track dips and banks sharply to the left. What with the torrential rain i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of subsidence at that point that caused the tram to derail and overturn. Such a safe way to travel normally, just makes it all the more tragic.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Hear they've arrested the driver? That's not normal practice unless they have some evidence is it?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
The tram was coming into Sandilands, not leaving it. That service comes out of the tunnel from New Addington via Lloyd Park, usually at high speed, then slows down very quickly to take the turn left into the Sandilands stop. It wouldn't take much to overcook it into the bend. Looking at the aerial photos, the overhead power cable posts were hit very hard judging by the angle that they are leaning at. :(

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Blimey - when I worked in Bromley I used to take that service every day to catch the train at Beckenham.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That service doesn't go to Beckenham, it's the New Addington service on the return journey.

Ok, I stand corrected. Isn't it that junction where the 2 services converge / split though?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Beggars belief. Such unbelievable carnage is about as likely as it would be on the Volks Railway. Up til now, the worst that ever happened on the Tramlink to my knowledge as a user of many years experience was a car taking a wrong turning and straying onto the tracks, or somebody somehow managing to be hit by a tram. This is unreal.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I am at a loss as to how this could have happened - on all my travels on that tram, I really would never have thought it could travel at speeds to cause such a horrendous crash.

Thoughts out to all those affected.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What a horrific thing to happen. Thoughts with those affected.

Sincerely hope none of our Nigels are caught up in this.

Guy in our office has been on the phone all morning trying to contact his brother who, he thinks, goes that way to work.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
jesus, a tram is the last form of transport I'd have thought an accident like this could happen to. Tragic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here