Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the most likeable Albion team we've ever had?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Simple question, as the title suggests. I can't think of any time since I started going in the early 90s that the squad has been so universally liked.

Much of that is obviously due to success on the pitch, but even when we've been successful in the past there have always been some someone who splits the opinion of the fans.
In the Micky Adams era you had players who were a bit nasty like Oatway and Cullip, and Nathan Jones always had a air of arrogance about him. Bob Booker always seemed to divide opinion.
When McGhee took us up I doubt that anyone really liked Leon Knight because he was a mentalist!
Gus's team could be quite cynical at times and Gus couldn't go for more than 5 minutes either whoareing himself to Leeds or making stupid comments in the press.

All of our players at the moment just seem like normal blokes. You don't get a hint of arrogance or nastiness from any of them, which is very rare in a successful team. Even our flair players work hard and don't have a hint of laziness about them. They rarely cheat or dive.

The chairman gets the train to away matches with fans. The manager is always honest and gracious whether in victory or defeat.

Enjoy it while it lasts because if we go up sooner or later we'll be exposed to the world of arrogant footballers on 50k a week swanning round in a souped up pink bentley, and rolling round on the floor every 5 minutes pretending to be injured.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have it on GOOD authority that Skalak likes to pull the wings off Daddy Longlegs.

#JustSayin'

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I have it on GOOD authority that Skalak likes to pull the wings off Daddy Longlegs.

#JustSayin'

Yeah, and I've heard one or two things about you and Mummy Longlegs.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It comes from the manager. Since he has come in and especially since last summer, the people we have brought in and let go have been judged on character as well as ability. He has a type that is wholehearted and intelligent and it feels like no amount of ability can supplant this.

Which makes you think - what the hell did he make of Agustein and McCourt when he came in? I doubt he even recognised them as footballers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Simple question, as the title suggests.

No.

Any team that doesn't have Calde in it has lost 45 people's worth of likeability. So even if our squad was Calde plus 24 Joey Barton's, it'd still be more likeable than any other squad assembled anywhere at any time.

Actually, yes, I can't think of a squad in my time that has such universally liked people...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It comes from the manager. Since he has come in and especially since last summer, the people we have brought in and let go have been judged on character as well as ability. He has a type that is wholehearted and intelligent and it feels like no amount of ability can supplant this.

Yep, I agree entirely.

I wonder how that philosophy will work in the PL, if we get promoted? I suspect that it will conflict with not getting relegated...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yep, I agree entirely.

I wonder how that philosophy will work in the PL, if we get promoted? I suspect that it will conflict with not getting relegated...

I agree.

If it were to happen and CH were still in charge, I wouldn't go expecting us to spend big or bust the wage structure dramatically. Probably 3 or 4 of the same type of guy will come in and keep the continuous improvement going.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Is this the most likeable Albion team we've ever had?

it is hard to imagine this title going to a team without Calde in it... but you might just be right :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No.

Any team that doesn't have Calde in it has lost 45 people's worth of likeability. So even if our squad was Calde plus 24 Joey Barton's, it'd still be more likeable than any other squad assembled anywhere at any time.

Actually, yes, I can't think of a squad in my time that has such universally liked people...

I was almost going to mention Calde, who is undoubtedly one of the finest human beings on the planet!

I think it's testament to the other players that a character like Calde, who's virtuousness sits somewhere between that Mother Teresa and Ghandi, can leave the club and it hasn't really made a dent in the likeability-o-meter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They seems a terrific group, but as others have said, CALDE.

So the team as it was at the end of last season (Knocky and Jiri had arrived, Calde still here) take the accolade.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I agree that the team seems to consist of a bunch of down to earth, likable guys.

However, there is one player that gets on my nerves... Kaz. I don't like him ever since I witnessed him demand a table immediately in a full Nandos restaurant. And he's only our fifth choice winger now anyway!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

#JustSayin'

That's only because Duffy has knitted all Daddy Longlegs smart new tank tops to keep them warm over the winter months.
Unfortunately Shane's knitting isn't up to arm holes, just yet.
So Jiri makes the necessary alterations to Mr L-Legs before Stocko reattaches the wings, with a needle and thread.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I agree that the team seems to consist of a bunch of down to earth, likable guys.

However, there is one player that gets on my nerves... Kaz. I don't like him ever since I witnessed him demand a table immediately in a full Nandos restaurant. And he's only our fifth choice winger now anyway!
Oh how horrible. Did he use the "do you know who I am?" line? And did they? And did he get his table? Still, shouldn't judge him on a single anecdote, perhaps he'd just had a bad day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The pictures from Patrick Knockaert's funeral show why there is such a strong team spirit in this club at present.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing

Nandos...... Classy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here