Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football rivalries

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In your opinion, what is the feistiest rivalry in English/Welsh football? (Let's put our rivalry with the Nigels aside for this one)

I'm ignoring Scotland because we don't have the sectarian shite down here as a general rule. I'd also be interested to know whether people think city rivalries are felt more than rivalries across comparable towns.

The Bristol derby always seems a bit spicy. There appears to be some genuine hatred there, more so than the Sheffield derby which is obviously a massive one given the enormous attendances it has generated down the years. As for town v town, I reckon Southampton v Portsmouth takes some beating. Perhaps Swindon v Oxford comes close.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Millwall vs West ham, Been there

Cardiff vs Swansea

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Millwall vs West ham, Been there

Cardiff vs Swansea

Millwall v West Ham - meh. Not a proper rivalry, people only notice it because of crowd trouble. Here are my reasons: West Ham are 4 or 5 times bigger so it's lopsided, their games are never played to full houses because of crowd trouble, and most West Ham fans in an average office barely give a toss about Millwall. West Ham consider Spurs every bit as big a game as Millwall anyway, and Chelsea not far behind.

I would agree with you regarding Cardiff and Swansea. Like many town v town rivalries, there are forces aside from football at work there.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Millwall v West Ham - meh. Not a proper rivalry, people only notice it because of crowd trouble. Here are my reasons: West Ham are 4 or 5 times bigger so it's lopsided, their games are never played to full houses because of crowd trouble, and most West Ham fans in an average office barely give a toss about Millwall. West Ham consider Spurs every bit as big a game as Millwall anyway, and Chelsea not far behind.

I would agree with you regarding Cardiff and Swansea. Like many town v town rivalries, there are forces aside from football at work there.

West Ham fans in a office are not proper supporters then.

It's the only rivalry i've been to where you can feel the tension in the air. The only rivalry that got me worried. I've never witnessed such a large scale battle than at the old Den. In the old days this was the ultlimate derby and you could have thrown Chelsea in the mix also.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Surely crowd trouble IS the main determining factor in this respect though?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Personally I think the rivalries where it is city v city or town v town can be that bit nastier than the derby games in the same place.

While I am sure that a derby in the same city can still get very naughty, you would likely have blokes you know personally in the opposition. People you went to school with or even family members. You could find yourself working next to someone on a Monday that you clumped on a Saturday. Also have the knowledge you could have people turn up at your house or place of work - which I know for a fact has happened not even that long ago following Villa v Birmingham matches. At the end of the day you are cut from the same cloth and that has to make a bit of a difference. When it is two cities it is strictly us against them mentality. No quarter given.

For that reason I would go with United v Liverpool. With credible mentions to Pompey v Saints and Newcastle v Sunderland.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Personally I think the rivalries where it is city v city or town v town can be that bit nastier than the derby games in the same place.

While I am sure that a derby in the same city can still get very naughty, you would likely have blokes you know personally in the opposition. People you went to school with or even family members. You could find yourself working next to someone on a Monday that you clumped on a Saturday. Also have the knowledge you could have people turn up at your house or place of work - which I know for a fact has happened not even that long ago following Villa v Birmingham matches. At the end of the day you are cut from the same cloth and that has to make a bit of a difference. When it is two cities it is strictly us against them mentality. No quarter given.

For that reason I would go with United v Liverpool.

For similar historic and economic reasons, Saints and Pompey.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely crowd trouble IS the main determining factor in this respect though?

I'm not sure. The Bristol derby is between two underachieving teams but the local press massively crank up the tension before the game. I'd say the Sheffield derby by contrast is equally big (certainly between two better supported clubs) yet the disorder is less of an issue relatively speaking.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
West Ham fans in a office are not proper supporters then.

It's the only rivalry i've been to where you can feel the tension in the air. The only rivalry that got me worried. I've never witnessed such a large scale battle than at the old Den. In the old days this was the ultlimate derby and you could have thrown Chelsea in the mix also.

Actually, they certainly are proper supporters I'm afraid. It's not that they like Millwall, but historically have bigger fish to fry. Millwall are a yoyo 2nd/3rd division club, West Ham 1st/2nd, so they don't meet all that often.

And yes I get all that, but it's only because Millwall's sole contribution to football culture has been widespread disorder. Your best rivalries are played in front of sold out crowds, something Millwall and West Ham can never do because of the number of absolute nobs in the crowd.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm not sure. The Bristol derby is between two underachieving teams but the local press massively crank up the tension before the game. I'd say the Sheffield derby by contrast is equally big (certainly between two better supported clubs) yet the disorder is less of an issue relatively speaking.

I don't agree regarding the disorder to be honest. It'd be a free for all if it wasn't for policing, banning orders and prison sentences. That goes for pretty much everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here