Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are all invited to a book launch.....

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Greetings all,

Just to say that you are all invited to the launch of my new book Lost In France on Friday 18 November. The only catch, for those of you resident in God's own county, is it's in my adoptive home of Cardiff (at Octavo's book shop on West Bute Street, down the Bay, from 6pm).

Now obviously that doesn't prevent you from crossing the Severn Bridge, but I appreciate it's probably a bit out of your way. I've never done anything like this before, but a combination of the publisher and the shop saying 'Go on, do it!' twisted my arm. And now, I have to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

Lost In France, as some of you know, is my biography on the former Welsh goalkeeper Leigh Roose who was killed fighting at the Battle of the Somme. Leigh was an amazing fellow, and football's first proper superstar, so I'm also treating this as a party in his name on the 100th anniversary of his death in the most horrible of circumstances. I'd be honoured if you'd come and raise a glass to the great man with me, and share a couple of hours with some like-minded folk. I've copied and pasted the text from the book's press release below, just to give you a taste of what Leigh & the book is all about.

For those of you on here based in South Wales, and for those of you who aren't but fancy a bit of a jolly, I hope to see you there.

Spencer

'In 1914 one of Britain's most famous sportsmen went off to play his part in the First World War. Like millions of others, he would die. Unlike millions of others, nobody knew how or where. Until now.

Lost in France is the true story of Leigh Roose: playboy, scholar, soldier and the finest goalkeeper of his generation, a Welsh international who became a hero on the terraces at several clubs including Stoke City, Sunderland, Everton and Arsenal. It's also the tale of how one man became caught up in a global catastrophe – one that would cost him his life, his identity and his rightful place as one of football's all-time legends.

Roose was football's first household name, adored by women as well as men, a man so good at his position on the field of play that the Football Association made one of the most significant rule changes in the game's history just to keep him in check. Small wonder that when the Daily Mail put together a World XI to take on another planet, Leigh's was the first name on its team sheet.

Lost In France lifts the lid on Roose’s colourful life and tragic death, including:
• How Leigh, a middle-class university graduate in a working-class game, became the best goalkeeper in the world – and is now regarded as a ‘Year Zero’ figure by many of his modern- day contemporaries, including fellow Welshman and Evertonian Neville Southall.
• His reputation as a womaniser, music hall star Marie Lloyd being just one of Leigh’s many female conquests.
• The fiery temper and extravagant lifestyle which brought Leigh, an amateur player in an increasingly professional era, into regular conflict with the game’s lawmakers.
• How Leigh came to be listed – falsely – as ‘missing, presumed dead’ at Gallipoli in 1915.
• His bravery at the Battle of the Somme where Leigh was decorated with the Military Medal.
• The circumstances surrounding his death at the Somme in October 1916, and why a simple spelling mistake prevented his family from finding out how or where he had died for almost 90 years.
• The long and ultimately successful campaign by the author together with Leigh’s family, football historians and supporters to correct the spelling of Leigh’s name on the Thiepval Memorial in France, dedicated to the missing of World War One.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Have you forgotten the little matter of the Aston Villa game that evening?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I could have sworn there was something on the wireless about this, a week or so ago? Radio 4 - possibly...? Will definitely put this on my wish list, though.

However - after just checking Amazon - at £949.01 I might just wait until it's out in paperback! :thumbsup:

It was on the Today programme and I managed to get it in paperback from Amazon. I'm half way through it too - great read.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks Guinness, that's good to know. I appreciate it clashes with the Villa game, but there wasn't a lot I could do about it I'm afraid. Not everyone who lives down this part of the world could make it to Sussex anyway for a Friday night game, so I'm hoping this will be a decent alternative. Seeing as the launch starts at 6pm, we can always repair to the pub later on to take in the Villa game (and I'm assuming that it is on TV, right?).

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This sounds brilliant.

I love football and tales of the world wars (I know that sounds weird but it fascinates me)

This will go on the list that is sent to my inlaws for christmas

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
It should be right up your street then PRS. The book is divided in two - the first half (which covers his formative years & goalkeeping career), and the second half (what happened to him in the First World War and the circumstances surrounding his death, which remained a mystery until recently). The original tale of two halves, in other words.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not really any of my business [MENTION=25768]Spencer Vignes[/MENTION], but could you not maybe also arrange a bookie-type event at say Waterstones by the Clock Tower or City Books in Western Road next time you're in town for an an Albion home game? Both shops are keen supporters of local authors, maybe even of those who have let the side down and moved to Wales :wink:

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
'Let the side down and moved to Wales' - I'll let that lie! But, yes, thanks for thinking along those lines Tom. Leigh was a Welsh international who played for Stoke, Sunderland and Everton (with shorter stints at Villa and Everton) so everything to do with the PR side of the book has focused pretty much on those areas. Despite being a Sussex lad, it didn't even cross my mind to do anything in Brighton as Leigh had no local connection. You really think there would be the interest, if I arranged something to coincide with an Albion game?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
'Let the side down and moved to Wales' - I'll let that lie! But, yes, thanks for thinking along those lines Tom. Leigh was a Welsh international who played for Stoke, Sunderland and Everton (with shorter stints at Villa and Everton) so everything to do with the PR side of the book has focused pretty much on those areas. Despite being a Sussex lad, it didn't even cross my mind to do anything in Brighton as Leigh had no local connection. You really think there would be the interest, if I arranged something to coincide with an Albion game?

We play Cardiff away on 3rd December, so you could take a few copies to the game with you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Despite being a Sussex lad, it didn't even cross my mind to do anything in Brighton as Leigh had no local connection. You really think there would be the interest, if I arranged something to coincide with an Albion game?

Absolutely. Waterstones go big on local authors. If nothing else, they'll almost certainly place a few copies of the book in their 'local authors' section. Can't do any harm. They don't know where you live :shrug: City Books are always fantastic and well worth sounding out, especially at this particularly poignant time of year. Very best of luck, a tale of a very brave - and fvckit yeah! COLOURFUL! - man very well worth recording on paper for posterity. Respect.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Good luck with the book Spencer. A Few Good Men was a fantastic read :)

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks one and all for the constructive criticism, advice and praise. Unfortunately (and this is ridiculous seeing as I live walking distance from the ground) I can't make it to the Cardiff game, but I will be at Birmingham, should anyone want a copy of Lost In France either as a Christmas present to themselves or someone close. It's a bloody good read, even if I say so myself, and only £8.99 to boot. I'll put a reminder up on NSC before the game. And again, if anyone in the west can't make it to the Villa game on Friday the 18th, it would be good to have your company at Octavo's book shop on West Bute Street, Cardiff Bay.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here