Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

India v England, First Test, Rajkot, 9th-13th November

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Its been a long time coming. Suprised Ballance has lasted as long as he has done.

Will be interesting to see how Hameed copes as he is being thrown in the deep end, perhaps should have happened against Bangladesh.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
in a good way?

Not playing Hameed in Bangladesh. I just don't get it.

What were we going to learn about Gary Ballance that we didn't know before? Now he's out of the picture again and we have a fresh opener facing the Indians.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Not playing Hameed in Bangladesh. I just don't get it.

What were we going to learn about Gary Ballance that we didn't know before? Now he's out of the picture again and we have a fresh opener facing the Indians.

I guess they were seeking to learn whether he was in any sort of form... or basically good enough.

He was clearly their first choice, and disappointingly for them and him, he failed badly enough to force their hand and throw a teenager straight into the cauldron of a Test series in India.

Good luck to the lad. Hopefully he will prove to be the star performer England really need!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I guess they were seeking to learn whether he was in any sort of form... or basically good enough.

He was clearly their first choice, and disappointingly for them and him, he failed badly enough to force their hand and throw a teenager straight into the cauldron of a Test series in India.

Good luck to the lad. Hopefully he will prove to be the star performer England really need!

It's not fair on Hameed or Duckett that this is what has happened though.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'd agree, especially in retrospect (which is a fabulous way to reach conclusions) that he should have in an ideal world been introduced earlier. That said, great way to see how much steel the lad has, if he gets in, makes a good score, it could set him up for a great international career.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

My issue is they clearly saw Hameed as a future opener either way so why put Duckett in to open instead, and play Ballance who hasn't been in form for about 2 years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are going to see some horrific English cricketflidddery in this series. I for one am really NOT looking forward to it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My issue is they clearly saw Hameed as a future opener either way so why put Duckett in to open instead, and play Ballance who hasn't been in form for about 2 years?

Gives Hameed a free run at it now... no other options left to re-jig the old guard. Good luck to the lad.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Haseeb's nickname is Geoffrey Boycott due to his similar batting style. That's OK as we need to bat out overs in India. Not good if he runs people out like Boycott did and talks a load of sh*te all day in a whiny northern voice.

Remember seeing Ashwin at Hove a few years back. He's come on a long way since that friendly. Despite that Will be putting some money on England for the Series as the odds are rather good. If we get to Mohali no more than 1-0 down, I'll be happy. Jimmy will then get into them with conditions suitable for our seamers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here