Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on leaving Wembley

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I'm going to see England vs Scotland on Friday - looking for advice on leaving as I've hear you can wait 90+ mins to get into tube station. Should we walk to a station further away? Or get surface train vs underground. Any tips would be appreciated

Last time I was there (England v Poland) I didn't leave until the end and got the overground train from Wembley to Marylebone.

Didn't wait more than 15 minutes. Marylebone from Victoria is easy on the bus or about a tenner in a cab.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I go regularly for the NFL and I think they get you out and onto trains superbly. Never waited anything like 90 mins - although perhaps the crowd leaves a little more in drips and drabs, but not hugely so. Was the same for England v Ireland friendly a couple of years ago.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
We do tend to move quite quickly, but I've never waited more than half an hour to get on a tube at Wembley Park - they're very efficient at getting people away. Lots of variables, though. Where your seats are in the stadium can have a bearing, for a start. We always get tickets on the North (Wembley Park tube) side of the stadium to give ourselves an advantage. The way the game plays out will have an effect, as with any stadium. If it's game over on 80mins then the place will empty and the queues will be that much longer if you hang around. Not that it will necessarily be the case this Friday(!), but the last few games have been 'over' well before 90 mins, so we've generally left when the injury time board goes up and usually get back to Victoria by 10:30-11:00. If it's a bit 'tense' after the game, that could also have a bearing - depending on how the police want to play things. We've tried Wembley Central and Overground in the past, but the sheer volume of trains leaving Wembley Park give it a massive advantage in my opinion.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Really depends where your tickets are. Last few times I've been there I've made sure I'm on the same side as the tube station. Leave on final whistle, fast walk/jog down to the station, usually out of there within 30/45 minutes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last time I was there (England v Poland) I didn't leave until the end and got the overground train from Wembley to Marylebone.

Didn't wait more than 15 minutes. Marylebone from Victoria is easy on the bus or about a tenner in a cab.

I went to the England v Chile friendly a couple of years ago. I went on the overground train to Marylebone too. It was about 20 minutes wait and that was staying right to the end, although Wembley wasn't completely full. The queue went down very quickly.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'm going on Friday too. Not concerned - usually on the tube at Wembley Park within 30 mins when I've been in the last couple of years

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Had tickets to the NFL the past few years and have tried a whole host of ways - my preferred has to be the Marylebone I have to say, but whichever way it was always OK

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I am STH and usually drive. When taking public transport always use the Marylebone service, by far the quickest.

If you are near Piccadilly Line,there is a quirky route via Sudbury Town station then catch a bus 19 or 92 from end of road into Wembley, or walk about 30 mins. Friends have used it and has the big advantage no one else is!

el punal

Back in the day! For our 1983 cup final (part 1) we caught the tube (Piccadilly line) to Sudbury Town and walked to Wembley, about a twenty minute walk and went back the same way. No crowds, empty train - result! Of course things are probably totally different now with the new Wembley.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've only been there once. Everyone seemed to go to a Wembley station nearby. But there was another about a quarter of an hour walk away that was virtually empty and took me straight back to central London.

At these events it seems that if you are prepared to walk to further stations you get home a lot quicker. Twickenham is the best example of this.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
It is more about whether you are getting back to Sussex via Thameslink ( from West Hampstead or Farringdon) or Southern ( Victoria or Clapham Junction)

There are trains from Wembley Stadium into London Marylebone every 10-20 minutes ( 16 minute journey) on Friday night.

Walking further down into Wembley to Wembley Central, it is possible to get to Clapham Junction ( changing at Willesden Junction) in 37-45 minutes or Euston in 30-35 minutes ( then Victoria Line to - Victoria). Bakerloo a bit too slow into central London

Wembley Park (Metropolitan line through to Farringdon) or Jubilee to West Hampstead ( then walk 200 yards to West Hampstead Thameslink will pick up Thameslink trains. Although it will be busy, there are tube trains every 2-5 minutes.

Walking further afield to Stonebridge Park (Overground/Bakerloo), SudburyTown (Piccadilly) or Neasden (Jubilee) not recommended.

Driving and parking near a tube station ( Pinner - Metropolitan, Stanmore - Jubilee) is difficult as free parking only after 6.30 pm and Friday night traffic very heavy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You'll be fine, it's busy but a well operated system to get people away. Also going back to Worthing. May try the overground

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back in the day! For our 1983 cup final (part 1) we caught the tube (Piccadilly line) to Sudbury Town and walked to Wembley, about a twenty minute walk and went back the same way. No crowds, empty train - result! Of course things are probably totally different now with the new Wembley.

On my first trip in 1973 we got the school minibus. Easy. Shame about that Polish Goalkeeper.

el punal

On my first trip in 1973 we got the school minibus. Easy. Shame about that Polish Goalkeeper.

Blimey, I woz there too! Right at the back of the stand (terracing then) behind the goal. 100,000 crowd, just about all England fans, and the noise was unbelievable. The end of an era that night. Goodbye Sir Alf, and no World Cup finals for another nine years.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I find once you get to the station get the train northbound even if you're trying to get in to central get off get on the next southbound train.

That way you get a seat and the queue is always shorter for he Northbound train out of Wembley.... You're welcome.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I'm going on Friday too. Not concerned - usually on the tube at Wembley Park within 30 mins when I've been in the last couple of years

Yep, this. It's really not as bad as people make out. I went to the last England v Scotland game there (3-2), was round the far side of the stadium, left on the final whistle and don't think I waited more than 20 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here