Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Help please - Binoculars

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We're off to Ardnamurchan in a few weeks for a week away from it all. Apparently, there are loads of Golden Eagles and various sea creatures that are worth seeing. It would seem that a pair of binoculars would be a good idea. I know very little about them - ideas welcome from NSC twitchers or animal watchers. I'm unlikely to use them very often, so budget is not going to be high - say up to £150, though if I can get a half decent pair for a lot less, I'll choose that option. What sort of magnification would be best? Brands to look for/avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Edit: btw, wiki tells me that "One of Ardnamurchan's most famous sons is the button box accordion player, Fergie MacDonald". And I'm not even joking...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Depends on the size of the sea creatures shirley?

At the risk of de-railing my own thread...I preferred your original response! I've often wondered about the attraction of mermaids (I assume that they were what you were referencing?). I mean, the logistics of taking advantage seem somewhat tricky - what them having only a tail and a fin, and all...

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
Im an aircraft enthusiast and i use Nikon 10 to 22 zoom by 50 and am quite happy with these.The larger the 2nd size the more light you get in.Dont know a great deal about wildlife binoculars but im guessing these would be good for that as well
£150 should get you a decent pair

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
For viewing birds of prey, a pair of 10x50s would be good, especially if you don't have a 'scope. If you can afford a pair with ED glass, try them out although it's unlikely you'll get a pair for £150. A pair of 8x magnification will be lighter, but with a smaller image.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I bought a pair of these off Amazon on the recommendation of a friend who knows about this stuff. We're by the sea in Canaries and Mrs loves them for watching Dolphins and they're good for Night Sky stuff too

http://www.allbinos.com/286-binoculars_review-Nikon_ACULON_A211_10x50.html

Im an aircraft enthusiast and i use Nikon 10 to 22 zoom by 50 and am quite happy with these.The larger the 2nd size the more light you get in.Dont know a great deal about wildlife binoculars but im guessing these would be good for that as well
£150 should get you a decent pair

How strange - one recommends Nikon 10x50, the other Nikon 10-22 x50! A trend developing. The right price point too. Another set to check out...Thanks chaps...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For viewing birds of prey, a pair of 10x50s would be good, especially if you don't have a 'scope. If you can afford a pair with ED glass, try them out although it's unlikely you'll get a pair for £150. A pair of 8x magnification will be lighter, but with a smaller image.

OK...I'll have a look through a pair with ED glass and compare with "normal" (?) glass. If I can see the difference, and if I'm in need of a spot of light retail therapy, I may push the boat out...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Worth looking at the Nikon 'Monarch' range.

Had a pair for several years - compact, lightweight, durable with decent lenses / spec and there is a reasonable range to suit different budgets, especially if you look for a deal. From a practical 'point of view' they're not heavy for wearing around the neck or for prolonged in hand use. Handy for tucking 'out of sight' in the car.

Like DSLR cameras 'the sky's the limit' with bino's when it comes to 'up-specing' and price. You could easily pay 3-4 times for similar 'spec' Leica binos or scope plus tripod.

Good luck.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Had a pair for several years - compact, lightweight, durable with decent lenses / spec and there is a reasonable range to suit different budgets, especially if you look for a deal. From a practical 'point of view' they're not heavy for wearing around the neck or for prolonged in hand use. Handy for tucking 'out of sight' in the car.

Like DSLR cameras 'the sky's the limit' with bino's when it comes to 'up-specing' and price. You could easily pay 3-4 times for similar 'spec' Leica binos or scope plus tripod.

Good luck.

Great. There seems to be a consensus that Nikon is a go-to brand. Can't imagine I'm going to be in the market for Leica! But, Nikon? Yep - that's the sort of thing.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
At the risk of de-railing my own thread...I preferred your original response! I've often wondered about the attraction of mermaids (I assume that they were what you were referencing?). I mean, the logistics of taking advantage seem somewhat tricky - what them having only a tail and a fin, and all...

Tenuous and rather fatalistic I know but any chance to hear this is surely worth taking?

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014

Good luck.

Weight would be a big consideration for me with bins, and you want to get onto the subject straight away esp with wildlife.Scopes can be difficult to get onto a subject quickly.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Weight would be a big consideration for me with bins, and you want to get onto the subject straight away esp with wildlife.Scopes can be difficult to get onto a subject quickly.

Weight (& bulk, which presumably is closely linked to weight?) is certainly a factor. The lighter, the better, for a given image quality; for me, anyway.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Do a bit of research before you purchase any as depending on if you wear glasses you may need ones with a different magnification to people who don't

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We're off to Ardnamurchan in a few weeks for a week away from it all. Apparently, there are loads of Golden Eagles and various sea creatures that are worth seeing. It would seem that a pair of binoculars would be a good idea. I know very little about them - ideas welcome from NSC twitchers or animal watchers. I'm unlikely to use them very often, so budget is not going to be high - say up to £150, though if I can get a half decent pair for a lot less, I'll choose that option. What sort of magnification would be best? Brands to look for/avoid?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Edit: btw, wiki tells me that "One of Ardnamurchan's most famous sons is the button box accordion player, Fergie MacDonald". And I'm not even joking...

Getting back to footie:goal:

After a season in West Lower I moved upstairs to East Upper with five idiots:moo:

The 'Old Fella' at the end of my row had a pair of binoculars.

[MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] and his four mates thought he used them to get a better look at Gully's Girls :ohmy:

He never lent them out :annoyed:

12.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here