Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon Prime

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Simple question, is it worth it?
I've got an Amazon Dot so the unlimited music would be nice.
Next day delivery would save me a few quid.
Jezza and gang return soon.
But are the TV & Movies any better than Sky, which I already have?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I had Amazon Prime recently and although the next day delivery is nice, the TV and movies is pretty atrocious imo (and I have no interest in Clarkson and his little gang so no sign of that improving :) ). A lot of the stuff listed as available for Prime on Instant Video you had to pay for it seemed also and the lineup was woeful. The music is good though, although a bit limited.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For us, undoubtedly.

We joined, originally, for the free delivery which is a godsend. I even ordered a Christmas present on December 23rd last year and it arrived on Christmas Eve morning. Remarkable.

Beyond that, there is the Instant Video stuff. Like Netflix, it's a variable mix, but they are doing a lot of their own original content which does often seem to be very well regarded.

Then there's the music, Kindle ebook lending library and even unlimited backups of photos. Probably some other stuff too - we really don't make the most of it.

Trial it for free for a month here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/tryprimefree?tag=northstandcha-21 (NSC earns a few pennies from that link) and cancel it if you think it's not worth it. With Christmas shopping season approaching, it's a good time to trial it. There will almost certainly be Prime-only deals on Black Friday, which is later this month too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i had Prime for a few months but, apart from saving a few quid on postage, found I was getting no value out of it.Scrapped it and didn't feel I'd made a bad decision

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I am just in the process of cancelling my prime instant video - there is so much rubbish on there and then most the decent stuff you have to pay for.

I will restart it when the next season of Bosch comes out but just no longer see the value in it

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I live via Amazon Prime. Ordered 15kg sack of dog food last night at 5pm and delivered at 11 this morning. High Castle, Bosch and a few other Prime Originals are a bonus, as is the music and photo share.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Kindle ebook lending library
Does that still exist as an offer? Triedto find when I restarted my Prime subscription recently but didn't seem to be running.

Oh I forgot to mention I think you can get a Twitch TV Prime account free with Amazon Prime as well, if people are into that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Simple question, is it worth it?
I've got an Amazon Dot so the unlimited music would be nice.
Next day delivery would save me a few quid.
Jezza and gang return soon.
But are the TV & Movies any better than Sky, which I already have?

Never used the music so can't comment on that. The video is ok. Films are awful but the TV shows are good.

What's the Dot like? Just been given a gift voucher through work so have been thinking about getting an echo.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I've had Prime for a few years and find it good value for money. The films and TV selection probably isn't as wide as Netflix but on the whole I'd say the quality was better. They do have a lot of new films on there which are very good, smaller releases (although not always the big blockbusters) and some of their original content is great.

I use Amazon for quite a lot of small purchases (dishwasher tablets, dog food etc.) as they pop into my head and being able to order via the app is great and saves me trips to the supermarket which is a good thing. You can also share the account with other family members Amazon accounts which is handy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Worth it for the free and fast delivery alone IMHO. I shop online a fair bit, doesn't take many purchases to get the money back. You can also make it a 'household' account for the single subscription

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've been signed up since all you got was quick delivery, and I order enough that it was worth it just for that. Given that you can now get it on a monthly payment instead of a big lump sum, and that you get so much more, I'd say it's more than worth it.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I think it's worth it.
Rarely buy stuff from Amazon myself, the wench does and uses my account and appreciates the quick free delivery. We don't use music either but don't/won't have Sky TV and love the included with prime TV. Once I heard Top Gear was moving to Amazon I signed up for the trial, liked it and stuck with it. Happy customer so far and will renew.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I watched Goliath recently which wss an Amazon productiom and thought it was very good.

Really enjoyed that series.

Personally I rarely watch actual TV and am thinking cancelling Virgin to just use Netflix and Amazon video. Think Amazon Prime is worth it for us, we have subscribe and save order for dog food and get free delivery on it amongst many other things.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Never used the music so can't comment on that. The video is ok. Films are awful but the TV shows are good.

What's the Dot like? Just been given a gift voucher through work so have been thinking about getting an echo.
DOT. Complete and utter waste of time. It's the future, how did I exist without it? For £50 it is a gadget that will take over your life. You talk to it every time you walk past. Black Friday it will be cheap.

To reinforce that, I didn't know about the included Kindle First until just now.

My son has a new book to read when he comes home from school now though!
You get one 'expensive' book a month I believe.
Re the music, I've put my itunes stuff on Amazon Music for free. Can hold 250 tunes. Swop them when you get fed up.
Alexa, play Stevie Wonder. It shuffles and plays a random track. Magic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here