Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gas Engineer needed

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
In the Eastbourne area. Any good folk on here do this for a living that can help or can recommend someone that may be able to do a job for me in the next day or two.

Need a radiator replacing.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just to piggy-back this, anyone know one in the Southampton / Eastleigh area!?

Old Baxi (Bermuda 410) back boiler. Pilot light will not light.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just to piggy-back this, anyone know one in the Southampton / Eastleigh area!?

Old Baxi (Bermuda 410) back boiler. Pilot light will not light.

Ahh the old baxi bermuda , you most probably have done this already but just in case , turn down the thermostat control to zero , push in the grey button for at least 30 seconds inside the cover then push in the orange/black button the igniter , if it still doesn't light try again but hold the grey one in for longer then try to ignite again , if this still doesn't work it could be the pilot tip needs a clean up or new thermocouple needed , check to see if you are getting a spark if thats ok it's not a igniter problem , i had this problem bloke came round said are you holding grey button in for long enough , i said yeah yeah of course , nah i wasn't he started it 1st time , flash git .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Ahh the old baxi bermuda , you most probably have done this already but just in case , turn down the thermostat control to zero , push in the grey button for at least 30 seconds inside the cover then push in the orange/black button the igniter , if it still doesn't light try again but hold the grey one in for longer then try to ignite again , if this still doesn't work it could be the pilot tip needs a clean up or new thermocouple needed , check to see if you are getting a spark if thats ok it's not a igniter problem , i had this problem bloke came round said are you holding grey button in for long enough , i said yeah yeah of course , nah i wasn't he started it 1st time , flash git .

And fifty quid bill:ohmy:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I have tried a good few times. And twist / release the grey button then wait three minutes then try again. Thing is, I can't even SEE where the pilot light is to check for sparks. The little diagram on the panel shows where the viewing window should be, but it doesn't seem to be there.

I'll post a pic in a bit to explain!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I have tried a good few times. And twist / release the grey button then wait three minutes then try again. Thing is, I can't even SEE where the pilot light is to check for sparks. The little diagram on the panel shows where the viewing window should be, but it doesn't seem to be there.

I'll post a pic in a bit to explain!

I fitted Baxi Bermuder's in the eighties - therefore its fecked and is using up the earths oxygen.

Bit like me :moo:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I fitted Baxi Bermuder's in the eighties - therefore its fecked and is using up the earths oxygen.

Bit like me :moo:

It is well old, for sure, and is high up the list for upgrade, to a combi.

I'd still quite like heating and hot water this week though!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Replace it yourself. If it's a straightforward like for like it is quite easy. Turn off the valves, undo the nuts, if you have some play in the pipes the pies will come off quite easily, then remove the radiator. Get some ptfe and attach the new Rad, bleed the rad of air and top up the system if you don't have an expansion tank. Your local plumbers merchant can help with exactly what you need. Also lots of you tube on how to do it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

:shrug:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Replace it yourself. If it's a straightforward like for like it is quite easy. Turn off the valves, undo the nuts, if you have some play in the pipes the pies will come off quite easily, then remove the radiator. Get some ptfe and attach the new Rad, bleed the rad of air and top up the system if you don't have an expansion tank. Your local plumbers merchant can help with exactly what you need. Also lots of you tube on how to do it.

Something to catch the water in after undoing the nuts would be useful :thumbsup:

One of the worst things about removing an old radiator is the black sludge that sits in the bottom of some.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My dad used to have fuse box that was made up of a six inch nail and alot of wire wrapped round it - how he is still alive I never discovered.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Judging by the dust it's in need of a service + it's turned off :moo:

I was taught by my dad to light these with a rolled up newspaper :facepalm:

It is a BIT dusty, isn't it.

Was working fine until two days ago.

Gas supply is there because the fire works still.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Something to catch the water in after undoing the nuts would be useful [emoji106]

One of the worst things about removing an old radiator is the black sludge that sits in the bottom of some.
This

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thermocouple

Thanks Simmo

That seems to crop up a lot on google searches into this stuff! A lot suggest that at when it lights but won't stay lit. Here I don't think it's even trying. Do you know where the viewing window for the pilot light should be?

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here