Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie cricket...............

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Having contrived to lose the Test series against Sri Lanka 3-0, the Aussies have thrown away home advantage to get beaten by South Africa in the First Test. Life is sweet - at least for another couple of days before our boys go up against India.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having contrived to lose the Test series against Sri Lanka 3-0, the Aussies have thrown away home advantage to get beaten by South Africa in the First Test. Life is sweet - at least for another couple of days before our boys go up against India.

... and against an attack where the main strike bowler went off injured on the second day
And after being just 84 runs behind in the first wicket with all ten wickets in hand
And against an opposition missing its top batsman

They're nearly approaching laughing stock stage

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Australia :lolol:

Although by the time we wake up on Wednesday morning we could already be in deep trouble in the 1st Test against India

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
3 in a row for South Africa at Perth too. We've only won there once and that was during the Packer years.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I wonder if the Australian board are still advocating a two tier test structure?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's 5 Test matches in a row our friends from down under have now lost, the latest by an innings and 80 runs to a South African team minus Steyn & de Villiers. :lolol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37984289

Australia were 17/5 in the first innings and RALLIED to 80something all out.

Then collapsed in the second from 129/2 to 161 all out. 8 wickets for 32 runs.

Tremendous stuff.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I watched the collapse last night from Hobart. I have to say, it wasn't as if the Aussie batsmen threw their wickets away. It was one of the best examples of absolutely magnificent seam bowling I have ever seen. Philander, Rabada and Abbot were unplayable at times. It took Steve Smith (Australia's one truly consistently good batsman) FORTY minutes to score any runs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I watched the collapse last night from Hobart. I have to say, it wasn't as if the Aussie batsmen threw their wickets away. It was one of the best examples of absolutely magnificent seam bowling I have ever seen. Philander, Rabada and Abbot were unplayable at times. It took Steve Smith (Australia's one truly consistently good batsman) FORTY minutes to score any runs.

Enjoy...

[tweet]798447593919574016[/tweet]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
See what I mean. The top order all received absolute snorters. I think one of them you could criticise for not stepping back and playing it defensively, but the ball had been seaming a treat and the Saffer attack was mixing it up really well. There was the odd wide ball especially from Rabada, but Australia's batsmen were rightly leaving anything too wide with a slip cordon of 5 and 300 runs to play with.

In short, South Africa would easily beat any team in the world on that form.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Love this quote from the Guardian comments page :lolol:

"There is, of course, a glaringly obvious solution to CA's woes; adopting South Africa's quota system. Starting with the Adelaide Test the team should always include: one woman from the rugby sevens team, a CFMEU bully boy, two NRL players and David Pocock. CA should also get the ginger-haired lass from the bank advert because she seems to appreciate the value of money. It's probably important that the cricket team has someone in it who appreciates the value of something."

* CFMEU- construction union

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wonder how many changes there'll be for the next test? It doesn't seem that long ago since the Aussies had an almost infinite seam of players who would walk into just about any other test side in the world and yet hardly got a sniff in their own country. I wonder if the cupboard is now bare?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder how many changes there'll be for the next test? It doesn't seem that long ago since the Aussies had an almost infinite seam of players who would walk into just about any other test side in the world and yet hardly got a sniff in their own country. I wonder if the cupboard is now bare?

With their seam bowlers, they seem to be permanently injured.

Cummins looked the best of the bunch but he is never fit and seems destined to just about last a limited overs game.

Batsmen wise they seem to have nothing coming through.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Be interesting how South Africa get on bowling with the pink ball in the test.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lived in Oz in the 90's, it was practically a constant onslaught on jingoism around sporting achievement.

Seeing them lose is better than seeing Palace lose

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With their seam bowlers, they seem to be permanently injured.

Cummins looked the best of the bunch but he is never fit and seems destined to just about last a limited overs game.

Batsmen wise they seem to have nothing coming through.

Interesting that, given we've been told for 40 years that Sheffield Shield cricket = limited number of sides = more intense competition = players better prepared for Test cricket. What happened?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting that, given we've been told for 40 years that Sheffield Shield cricket = limited number of sides = more intense competition = players better prepared for Test cricket. What happened?

We created a top tiered system, which created more competition?

Hence cretins like Graves want to change it....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here