Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday from a City perspective

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Hi

A few things about Saturday:

Firstly, I thought your fans were excellent, to bring that many considering the circumstances was excellent and you made a lot of noise.

Our performance was simply dire, worst of the season we had no imagination up front and well the first goal, despite being an excellent finish was frankly embarrassing.

You were excellent at the back, gave us no time on the ball and you took your chances, something we failed to do.

I think we should have had a penalty when Wilbraham was dragged down in the area but really it would have had no impact on the result. Overall the ref was alright, Tomlin should have had a couple of free kicks but he's given himself a reputation for diving which is irritating.

Also, great to see your players dedicate Sidwell's goal to Knockeart, nice touch.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I'll look forward to seeing you at the AMEX

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hi

Firstly, I thought your fans were excellent, to bring that many considering the circumstances was excellent and you made a lot of noise.

Our performance was simply dire, worst of the season we had no imagination up front and well the first goal, despite being an excellent finish was frankly embarrassing.

You were excellent at the back, gave us no time on the ball and you took your chances, something we failed to do.

I think we should have had a penalty when Wilbraham was dragged down in the area but really it would have had no impact on the result. Overall the ref was alright, Tomlin should have had a couple of free kicks but he's given himself a reputation for diving which is irritating.

Also, great to see your players dedicate Sidwell's goal to Knockeart, nice touch.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I'll look forward to seeing you at the AMEX

Fair enough - and I agree about the penalty.

I also think your manager is pretty level-headed and sensible. I have a feeling he will do well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Always hard to judge whether you didn't turn up or whether we just snuffed out your threat. On the face of it our defensive pairing of Dunk and Duffy were just too good for Abraham and our game plan prevented Tomlin from getting on the ball.

City looked as good as about a dozen teams in this division that could with a good run near the end of the season edge into the play offs. Equally you could nestle into mid table very comfortably. Saturday showed how much we have progressed since last season as I suspect we would not have won that match last season.

Would also add, we very much went into cruise mode second half. Always felt we could have stepped it again if we needed to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi

Good luck for the rest of the season to you too. Always liked City (I'm from the Westcountry originally), and think you're a club that's trying to do things the right way (like us).

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Always hard to judge whether you didn't turn up or whether we just snuffed out your threat. On the face of it our defensive pairing of Dunk and Duffy were just too good for Abraham and our game plan prevented Tomlin from getting on the ball.

City looked as good as about a dozen teams in this division that could with a good run near the end of the season edge into the play offs. Equally you could nestle into mid table very comfortably. Saturday showed how much we have progressed since last season as I suspect we would not have won that match last season.

Would also add, we very much went into cruise mode second half. Always felt we could have stepped it again if we needed to.

Yep, I'd agree that you nullified us, but at the same time we were dire and in many ways made it very easy for you. But even still Dunk and Duffy look very solid and will probably lead you up imo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, I'd agree that you nullified us, but at the same time we were dire and in many ways made it very easy for you. But even still Dunk and Duffy look very solid and will probably lead you up imo
I'm curious, how do you feel you were dire and made it easy for us? The way I saw it, you needed to take the one chance you had before we scored twice in quick succession. The first goal was a worldie, the second goal was down to the fact that your right back has absolutely no pace, but if you haven't got a similar right back but with more pace in your squad, I don't see what else you could have done. :shrug:

And from that point, it was all about managing the game which is much easier to do when you have a back 4 like ours. I wouldn't beat your team up over that result, this is the best side we've had in 35 years and we surely have an excellent chance of promotion.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Duffy and Dunk get all the credit but I think the whole team should get equal credit by the way they play as a complete unit. I watched the sky round up show yesterday and they were showing how we press as a team when the opponents have the ball and make things very difficult for them. They then showed the Wigan match and you could see the difference between the way they defended compared to us.

Quite like the fact they referred to us as a juggernaut in the division

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's always difficult to tell whether a team simply didn't turn up or just weren't allowed to play.

Saturday reminded me of when Big Sam's West Ham came down to the Amex, went one up and then just let us play in front of them for the rest of the game, safe in the knowledge that they were good enough to stop us doing much and, if we did, they'd turn it on again. Professional.

Abraham looks like a proper player, it has to be said. Our group were very impressed with him in the opening passages of play and a wee bit fearful. After that he either drifted out of the game or we got the measure of him,but for someone who has only just turned 19 and is just starting first team football he looks very good. City did well to bring him in.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's always difficult to tell whether a team simply didn't turn up or just weren't allowed to play.

Saturday reminded me of when Big Sam's West Ham came down to the Amex, went one up and then just let us play in front of them for the rest of the game, safe in the knowledge that they were good enough to stop us doing much and, if we did, they'd turn it on again. Professional.

Abraham looks like a proper player, it has to be said. Our group were very impressed with him in the opening passages of play and a wee bit fearful. After that he either drifted out of the game or we got the measure of him,but for someone who has only just turned 19 and is just starting first team football he looks very good. City did well to bring him in.

Or will he be the next Patrick Bamford ? More loans than Wonga and now sat on the bench at Burnley

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought some of the City players still looked like they were playing in league 1. Awful.

Tomlin looks extremely chunky but somehow manages to accelerate quickly which surprised me.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Hi

Our defence has been solid so far this season and we haven't let teams have many clear cut opportunities to score. I think you usually have quite a strong attack, but Dunk and Duffy were just well equipped to deal with it.

I agree that you should've had a penalty, which would've resulted in a nervy final few minutes for us... but as you said, don't think it'd would've made much impact on the result.

It's always embarrassing to concede a goal from 50+ yards. But in your 'keepers defence, we turned over possession quickly and Sidwell had the ball on his weaker foot with an easy pass to be played out wide... I don't think anyone expected him to shoot, especially so accurately.

There are a lot of teams that I'd like to see fall flat on their faces... Bristol City aren't one of them. Good luck with your fight for the play offs and look forward to seeing you at the Amex.

theboybilly

Not surprisingly I really enjoyed Saturday's match. I thought Albion were so much better than the sluggish performance at Wigan and had learned to start off more assertively. Our defence is a joy to behold at times now and we have two very good replacement CBs if needed. Bruno and Bong just add to our attacking options. For the second season running City have had to contend with having a dodgy right back that aided Jamie Murphy. Baldock is now looking a really good player. All in all it's a very good time to be an Albion fan so if I supported Bristol City I wouldn't be too downhearted. They are a good side in the making, their ground is terrific and they seem to have a decent level-headed manager. His post-match comments were very gracious when it must've been hard so soon after the final whistle.
I did 2 nights in Bristol and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pubs in King Street are great and the harbour was a smashing place to while away the pre-match hours. It would be great if both sides could conjure up a Premier League fixture for next season.

theboybilly

I read somewhere from a BC fan that they thought the keeper would have saved it if he hadn't fallen over while running backwards..... not a chance!!!

That ignores the vision from Sidwell that saw the 'keeper so far off his line. The goalkeeper tripped because he was struggling to get back so much. It was a goal as soon as the ball left Sidwell's boot

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That ignores the vision from Sidwell that saw the 'keeper so far off his line. The goalkeeper tripped because he was struggling to get back so much. It was a goal as soon as the ball left Sidwell's boot

Agree that all the credit goes to Sidwell. The keeper is NOT even far off his line, considering the ball was on half way, and they had possession. In those circumstances, as a keeper, I be on the edge of my box, ready to sweep.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is it a coincidence that so many teams seem to have an off day against us?
Clearly.

But then some say we had off days against Wolves, Ipswich, Rotherham and Cardiff last year.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is it a coincidence that so many teams seem to have an off day against us?

Exactly. It seems to be the mantra from opposition teams at the moment that they had an off days against us. We're either the luckiest team ever in that every team drops their game against us or it is something we are doing that makes teams struggle. Personally, I think the latter is more likely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here