Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia, alive and well in Bristol

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My brother and I, and my mates from Burgess Hill and Plymouth - all of us straight - went for a pre-match in the Bedminster Cricket club before the game yesterday.
(BTW - if we ever play them again this place is highly recommended for parking, beers, friendly banter, ten minute walk to the ground)

Got talking to the locals, like you do. The conversation with this one guy went something like this:

Yokel "I've never been to Brighton. What's it like?"
Seagulls on Tour "Yeah Brilliant, Buzzing city, by the seaside. Too many brilliant pubs to even begin to tell you"
Y "Yeah but aren't all the pubs, err....... dodgy"
SoT "What you mean...... 'dodgy'?"
Y "Well you know...... we sometimes think we have a lot of gays here in Brizzle, but in Brighton, well, you know......?"
SoT "Oh I see, is that what you mean by 'dodgy?'"
Y "Yeah, are they all like that?"
SoT (indicating to all the six or seven of us that he's talking to) "But we're all gay, is that a problem for you?"
Y (stuttering and shuffling about) " err, um, err, no, um,no, err, fair play to you, no fine of course, err right......."

Unbelieveable. And very funny. This was the first time I have actually seen what it must be like for people who face prejudice every day. Quite enlightening.

Important to note - Not all Bristol City fans are homophobic.
But it was fantastic to witness this utter chump's uncomfortable squirming.

Two nil to the Gay Boys
Two nil to the Gay Boys :safeway:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
My brother and I, and my mates from Burgess Hill and Plymouth - all of us straight - went for a pre-match in the Bedminster Cricket club before the game yesterday.
(BTW - if we ever play them again this place is highly recommended for parking, beers, friendly banter, ten minute walk to the ground)

Got talking to the locals, like you do. The conversation with this one guy went something like this:

Seagulls on Tour "Yeah Brilliant, Buzzing city, by the seaside. Too many brilliant pubs to even begin to tell you"
Y "Well you know...... we sometimes think we have a lot of gays here in Brizzle, but in Brighton, well, you know......?"
SoT (indicating to all the six or seven of us that he's talking to) "But we're all gay, is that a problem for you?"
Y (stuttering and shuffling about) " err, um, err, no, um,no, err, fair play to you, no fine of course, err right......."

Unbelieveable. And very funny. This was the first time I have actually seen what it must be like for people who face prejudice every day. Quite enlightening.

Two nil to the Gay Boys
Christ you've been pampered :lolol:
I get it at work most days i'e ****** etc.....bloody love the banter and tell most I'll bend them over and stick it straight up thier pooper:lolol:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I wonder if that was the Bristol chump in the home section of our stand who was giving loads of gay hand/mouth signals in second half, only to get pounced upon by stewards. ****.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The pub/club still gets a recommendation though.... must have been not too bad....sounds to me like a genuine question and answer session rather than out and out homophobia.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I get it at work most days i'e ****** etc.....bloody love the banter and tell most I'll bend them over and stick it straight up thier pooper:lolol:

I know, I know, but that's all just long distance banter.
This guy really, really believed it ???

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There was even a 'does your boyfriend know you're here' after the game. Dullards.

To be fair, as an inhabitant of Bristol, not keen on the You're Welsh chant that came from our boys once, rather passe.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The pub/club still gets a recommendation though.... must have been not too bad....sounds to me like a genuine question and answer session rather than out and out homophobia.

It wasn't nasty. It was a genuine enquiry. That's what shocked, surprised and amused us.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It wasn't nasty. It was a genuine enquiry. That's what shocked, surprised and amused us.

Brighton has that reputation all over Sussex never mind anywhere else....

Go to Hastings as an example and say you are from Brighton and they will think the same as the man who lives in Bognor..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Two nil to the Gay Boys

:lolol::lolol:

Bristol is generally a very open society. The only places, excepting Brighton, outside of London that would be close are Norwich and perhaps Cambridge and Oxford.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
I'm sure no worse than anywhere else & a lot better than it used to be but we did get a "f*** off back to gay land" from one troubled looking individual on the way out the ground.

Now, 'Gayland', that's a business opportunity right there if ever I saw one. (Obviously not affiliated with 'Land Of Gay' or 'Gay World' of course. Splitters.)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Sounds like an absolute low-grade riot at your work.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Seriously, who cares? I know where the OP is coming from, just being gobsmacked for his first ever question, but really, who cares, I don't.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There are gay people in the military, where acceptance has taken a while to get out of the dark ages.
They are accepted and homophobia is not tolerated at all.
As mentioned before, there is the usual banter, but the forces sense of humour has its own identity and can be quite humerous at times.
I was told to grow thick skin, when I was in :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here