Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom - Fans' Forum

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Looked - can't see another thread, so here goes...

Our beloved leader held a fans' forum in the Rose of Denmark pub in Bristol yesterday before the game. He said he wants to do more of these things when Albion are on the road ("not every fortnight though..."). It's a chance for those who don't often get to Brighton to ask questions of him and just say 'hello'.

From memory, so I'm paraphrasing (though I understand the edited highlights are going up on Seagulls World), the topics covered included...

Safe-standing: "I generally in favour of safe-standing, and would be happy to see it at the Amex, though we have to wait for legislation to change. Yes, there's a capital cost, but there would also be an improved atmosphere. But we will need to look at all aspects of it, and see if it is worth doing."

The January transfer window: "We won't be selling anyone in the next transfer window. At least, not anyone we don't want to sell."

FFP: Unimpressed with Leicester, Bournemouth and QPR who all failed the FFP test, and who are taking up the Football League's resources in fighting it.

Southern Trains: Officially adopting a neutral stance on the dispute, but severely pissed off at Southern's inability to run a service.

Ticketing: Understands the nuances around people who can't attend might pass their ticket to one of their friends, and the club 'turns a blind eye', but isn't impressed with those who seek to gain from it by selling on the open market. As he points out, that is illegal.

Can anyone else who was there help with what I've forgotten...?

The one superb moment of the forum was when an eight year old lad takes the microphone, and as calmly as you like asks Tony: "Tony, when you hear the fans singing 'Tony Bloom's Blue & White Army', do you think... 'yeah, I'm the man?" Massive round of applause; Tony laughs hard; eight year old looks bewilderingly puzzled at the reaction. Marvellous.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The January transfer window: "We won't be selling anyone in the next transfer window. At least, not anyone we don't want to sell."

Should shut up a few on here who seem to think we can't wait to sell some of the stars as fast as possible.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

The one superb moment of the forum was when an eight year old lad takes the microphone, and as calmly as you like asks Tony: "Tony, when you hear the fans singing 'Tony Bloom's Blue & White Army', do you think... 'yeah, I'm the man?" Massive round of applause; Tony laughs hard; eight year old looks bewilderingly puzzled at the reaction. Marvellous.

If I was a gambling man I would bet that the thought has never even crossed his mind before yesterday, however I suspect that after that disarming question, he will not ever be able to hear that chant again and not have a little voice inside his head say yeah I'm the man !

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
If I was a gambling man I would bet that the thought has never even crossed his mind before yesterday, however I suspect that after that disarming question, he will not ever be able to hear that chant again and not have a little voice inside his head say yeah I'm the man !

It did lead to a new chant afterwards, led by the said eight year old...

He knows he's the man
He knows he's the man
Tony Bloom
He knows he's the man

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Our beloved leader held a fans' forum in the Rose of Denmark pub in Bristol yesterday before the game. He said he wants to do more of these things when Albion are on the road ("not every fortnight though..."). It's a chance for those who don't often get to Brighton to ask questions of him and just say 'hello'.

From memory, so I'm paraphrasing (though I understand the edited highlights are going up on Seagulls World), the topics covered included...

Safe-standing: "I generally in favour of safe-standing, and would be happy to see it at the Amex, though we have to wait for legislation to change. Yes, there's a capital cost, but there would also be an improved atmosphere. But we will need to look at all aspects of it, and see if it is worth doing."

FFP: Unimpressed with Leicester, Bournemouth and QPR who all failed the FFP test, and who are taking up the Football League's resources in fighting it.

Southern Trains: Officially adopting a neutral stance on the dispute, but severely pissed off at Southern's inability to run a service.

Ticketing: Understands the nuances around people who can't attend might pass their ticket to one of their friends, and the club 'turns a blind eye', but isn't impressed with those who seek to gain from it by selling on the open market. As he points out, that is illegal.

Email quote from Paul Camillin, on fans forum;

'Hi Phil
We will publish the video online later this week on our YouTube channel.
Best
Paul'

:thumbsup:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

a good question would be could the club look for a two tier ticket exchange for fans outside a certain areas to be first because the changes in fixtures caused by tv changes make it sometimes impossible to get to the homes games and I hate having empty seats next to me.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Tony Bloom has jumped higher than ever in my estimation. The Rose of Denmark is one of my favourite Bristol pubs.

Nicer still was that the club fed everyone who came along - felafel, stuffed vine leaves, pittas, hummous, olives.

Didn't understand it at all...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

These were covered also:

£20m loss for last season;

Had several approaches through third parties interested in BHA but not interested in selling. Certainly gave impression that he would not necessarily be here for the rest of his life;

FFP is effectively dead in the water. QPR, Leicester and Bournemouth piss him off. To quote: 'Lawyers and football don't mix'.

Respects fans who leave early might have good reason (hooray from a Bristol based fan who has 3 hour drive home...) but ideal if people stay

Satisfied with Development Squad so far, Views it as 5-7 year project. Has KPIs (not specified). Looks to be especially sensible project given Brexit

Smiled when 'striker in January' came up - as good as a YES in my mind.,

And totally agree that the Main Man question was epic; Dad must have been proud.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here