Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What price our team spirit?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I was thinking after watching the Sidwell goal celebration yesterday - we all bang on about much money other clubs like Newcastle and Norwich have but what would they give for the team spirit we have?

We saw last week just how easily the highly paid Norwich players gave up whereas our guys fight all the way for each other and support each other in difficult times.

Great times to be an Albion fan as we are part of this. :bhasign:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was thinking after watching the Sidwell goal celebration yesterday - we all bang on about much money other clubs like Newcastle and Norwich have but what would they give for the team spirit we have?

We saw last week just how easily the highly paid Norwich players gave up whereas our guys fight all the way for each other and support each other in difficult times.

it reminds me of Liecester city last season let's hope we keep It going and we the fans need to do our bit.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Absolutely, can't remember anything really like this before either here or at other clubs. All started with the Shoreham disaster last year, but if anything the end to last season has forged an even stronger team spirit, and the new players seem to have seamlessly bought into it as well. The aftermath of Sidwell's goal was really quite moving , and was so genuine, they do really seem that they are all really good mates, who will do anything for each other, invaluable for what will be a long and tough season. After the last two matches, I really have a feeling this could be our year

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I hope the football world ignores CH's contribution to our team spirit otherwise a top PL club would come after him. "The best manager, born in England, in football today" BHA's little secret.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
An important factor is Bloom's refusal to sell our best players. That sends out a signal from the top of intent and determintion.

The booing of Pritchard by the fans reinforces this idea that short term financial gain is, ultimately, folly.

el punal

This is an attribute that has been alluded to many times recently. Team spirit is something that money definitely cannot buy. The Albion have that in spades. The tribute to Anthony Knockaert, and his Dad (R.I.P.), after Sidwell's goal was so moving and shows that togetherness in abundance.

How our rivals must envy that, particularly Norwich who are the polar opposite with, what seems to be, total discord running through their ranks.

In my view our biggest enemy now is complacency. Not that I think that will happen, not with Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood in charge. Feet firmly planted on the ground is probably the order of the day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hope the football world ignores CH's contribution to our team spirit otherwise a top PL club would come after him. "The best manager, born in England, in football today" BHA's little secret.

Was mentioned on the radio last night - can't remember who was speaking but basically said Dyche and CH should be high on the list of interviewees if Southgate doesn't get the job.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Was mentioned on the radio last night - can't remember who was speaking but basically said Dyche and CH should be high on the list of interviewees if Southgate doesn't get the job.

Let's hope Southgate gets the job, then.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This BC fan didnt agree about the celebration/tribute - comment from The Guardian report:

The 'tribute' to Knockaert was so false and dripping with insincerity it was actually sickening to watch. It was choreographed because the game was live on the telly and wouldn't have happened if the game had kicked off at 3pm. If the Brighton players had any intelligence they'd be ashamed of exploiting a family tragedy in the way they did.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This BC fan didnt agree about the celebration/tribute - comment from The Guardian report:

The 'tribute' to Knockaert was so false and dripping with insincerity it was actually sickening to watch. It was choreographed because the game was live on the telly and wouldn't have happened if the game had kicked off at 3pm. If the Brighton players had any intelligence they'd be ashamed of exploiting a family tragedy in the way they did.

Most fans on the bc forum commented on how good and classy we were. There will always be bellends being cynical about anything in all walks of life. probably sour grapes though

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Which is why Derby County's strategy is so shortsighted. Sod the team spirit, we'll just Hoover up every available overpriced mercenary, throw them together and we'll surely win the league. Err no you won't. Twats.

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
I don't care what BC fans think. Anybody watching us since CH came in can see the bond the players have, and the club as a whole. Did the BC fan also comment on his goalkeepers Riverdance attempt as Sidwell beat him from 50 yards?!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I did a cricket coaching workshop last year with an ex-pro - Paul Pridgeon played for Worcestershire between 72 & 89 so he knows his stuff. One little nugget I recall was his statement that, in those 17 years as a pro, the common theme in all the successful teams he played in was a happy dressing room.

I can now see that we at Brighton have a happy dressing room and whilst this is no guarantee of success alone, it is clearly a facilitating ingredient. #bodeswell

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

That is what stood out straight away to me, looked fantastic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Well the man himself tweeted to say that it mad him cry, so that's good enough for me.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Sour grapes.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I'm genuinely not that worried about Hughton being poached and will be amazed if it comes to pass.

Firstly, he's had two stints with Premier League clubs. The fact that he was stiffed by both means nothing in the faddish, glitzy world of the Prem. As far as expectant chairman are concerned he's yesterday's news, which is why his name isn't automatically near the top of the pile whenever a vacancy arises.

Secondly, he has integrity oozing from every pore. I imagine he values the trust Tony has placed in him and sees it as his mission to make good on his own commitment. I can see him being a bit Wengeresque in his wish to honour a contract.

Finally, and this is the big one, never underestimate the FA's ability to do the wrong thing. They'll end up opting for a supine yes man like Southgate because he's part of the club. Even if they don't, they wouldn't go near Chris because he's "never won anything" and isn't part of the set up.

Feeling safe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here