Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale telling Baldock to get in the Bristol City half to stop them kicking off.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This will be all the rage now, after Mike Dean being praised for doing the same thing. He told Jedinak to stand in the Birmingham half last weekend.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Would the ref actually allow play to restart after a goal while the scoring team are still celebrating?

Also don't think any team would take the opportunity to score in these circumstances.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
This will be all the rage now, after Mike Dean being praised for doing the same thing. He told Jedinak to stand in the Birmingham half last weekend.

If it had been him he would have booked Knockaert for taking his shirt off

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can't take a quick kick off , you have to wait until everyone is ready

This. The officials have to be ready as well, and they clearly wouldn't if players are celebrating a goal.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
You can't take a quick kick off , you have to wait until everyone is ready

If all the opponents are in their own half, outside the circle, and the referee is happy for you to kick off, you can do so, exactly the same as if he permits the taking of a quick free kick, mid match.

On that note, I've always wondered if a referee would be brave enough to allow a side to kick off at the start of a game while their opponents were engaged in one of those interminable huddles they seem so keen on now (us included). He'd no doubt get a lot of stick for it if the kicking off side scored, but in theory, it wouldn't break any rules. I always find myself slightly nervous that a team might try it against us :lol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Law 8 - covers this see in full here: http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...l-11-11/law-8---the-start-and-restart-of-play

The important bit is ....
For every kick-off:
* all players must be in their own half of the field of play
* the opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
* the ball must be stationary on the centre mark
* the referee gives a signal
* the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves
* a goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off

So the team that have just conceded can't take the restart until all the opposition are back in there own half. I would expect refs to give yellow cards for time-wasting to players who take too long [extended celebrations] to return to their own half. But the restart can't happen until they have.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It was the ref not stockdale wasn't it ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here